refused to be served

salavan

Must be one of those many selective Thai laws, I see countless Thai men ride up on motorcycles etc, walk into the local shops without shirts on. Well it is a bit rural here.

Living in rural village near Laos. Never saw Thai men riding motorcycles without T-shirt. And "countless Thai men", not just one! Don't believe you.
Well we obviously frequent different areas. In the village I have spent time in it is rare to see thai men wear shirts at all unless visiting the Wat.

I think you frequent a different Thailand

Yes, yes, I was totally making it all up, I bow to both your vast experience on the subject. Must have been aliens.

Anymore gems on Thai culture??, we should be aware of either in Bangkok or your rural village near Laos?.

Must be one of those many selective Thai laws, I see countless Thai men ride up on motorcycles etc, walk into the local shops without shirts on. Well it is a bit rural here.
Living in rural village near Laos. Never saw Thai men riding motorcycles without T-shirt. And "countless Thai men", not just one! Don't believe you.
Well we obviously frequent different areas. In the village I have spent time in it is rare to see thai men wear shirts at all unless visiting the Wat.

I think you frequent a different Thailand

Yes, yes, I was totally making it all up, I bow to both your vast experience on the subject. Must have been aliens.

Anymore gems on Thai culture??, we should be aware of either in Bangkok or your rural village near Laos?.

I live, the majority of the time in central Thailand. Nakhon Nayok.

I have also lived in Phuket, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai, and isaan.

We must live in other Thailands

Why racist...

Seriously?

In your country, if a racial minority was ignored for service while the majority was being served, you wouldn't suspect a racist motivation?

It's hard to know of course.

I think there is really often something to the idea that many Thais don't want to deal with people they assume don't speak Thai and other more innocent reasons.

How do they know what race you are?

Clues like skin color.

Next ...

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer, sorry, many 'Brits" do not look like me or my dad..............smile.png

How do they know what race you are?

Clues like skin color.

Next ...

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ah, so you must be German then?

Race is a social construct.

It isn't so much about the biological factors (anthrolopology is trending on asserting that different races don't even exist but obviously ethnicities and nationalities do exist) but rather the social constructs influencing PERCEPTION of race in different societies

Each country is different in that.

Anyway, this isn't about me, but yes, I could be German. Or Iraqi.

As we're talking about Thailand and Thais here, most of us do know something about the Thai classifications in this regards towards us foreigners.

Edited by Jingthing

hi just a bit of a rant here today i went in to a shop called TMK in kanchanaburi took 4 packets of coffee up to the cashier

Where or were about in Kan is this shop? coffee1.gif

Win blink.png

this is the 4th time this has happened in this racist town worse here than anywhere in thailand, we all get over charged but here they acually refuse to serve you

OK. Fess up where or were did the other 3 times took place?

And where or were in Kan did they over charge you?

Kan to my knowledge is NOT a Racist Town to us of the correct creed and colour, never was and never will be, as it is a historical (WWII) place.

Welcome to Kan, the third largest province in Thailand and

large.jpg

opps, they missed out the THE facepalm.gif

Win wai.gif

• Like 1

this is the 4th time this has happened in this racist town worse here than anywhere in thailand, we all get over charged but here they acually refuse to serve you

OK. Fess up where or were did the other 3 times took place?

And where or were in Kan did they over charge you?

Kan to my knowledge is NOT a Racist Town to us of the correct creed and colour, never was and never will be, as it is a historical (WWII) place.

Welcome to Kan, the third largest province in Thailand and

large.jpg

opps, they missed out the THE facepalm.gif

Win wai.gif

My experience exactly!!!!

And if anyone would be refused service it would be KanWin! ( or me)....

• Like 1

hi just a bit of a rant here today i went in to a shop called TMK in kanchanaburi took 4 packets of coffee up to the cashier

Where or were about in Kan is this shop? coffee1.gif

Win blink.png

you claim you know its not a racist town but you never heard or dont know where TMK is, strange

@salavan I claim the town isn't racist as well. Not knowing where 1 shop is, doesn't diminish that claim. Win didn't claim that 1 shop wasn't racist, but at a guess he'd probably drop by to see if he had a similar experience there,... Providing the shop actually exists....

BTW, Win and I have met a few times over the years. He's a gifted photographer and a gentleman. I'd trust his opinion over that of the OP every time.

Edited by jdinasia
  • Like 1

@salavan I claim the town isn't racist as well. Not knowing where 1 shop is, doesn't diminish that claim. Win didn't claim that 1 shop wasn't racist, but at a guess he'd probably drop by to see if he had a similar experience there,... Providing the shop actually exists....

BTW, Win and I have met a few times over the years. He's a gifted photographer and a gentleman. I'd trust his opinion over that of the OP every time.

Yes, I would drop by and have look jdinasia with my camera .

So salavan, yes very strange indeed as one only shops in places that one has shopped for over a decade being here, hence never heard of TMK shop. I have shopped at TaMaKan Mall, Supermaket, a department store, is that what you meant? blink.png

Other shop news is that HS is closed (where all the red pickups parked off the main road, opposite side of the road where the photo that I posted and where The Pizza Company had a shop as well) now sadly as it was a very handing place to park and shop for most of my dry goods. sad.png

However I did have some Thai's trying to push in front of me, one gent looked like "High or *issd" so I let him in first and the owner that stood there, thanked me for what I did.

Another one was a "Drop Dead Super Looking Teen" told her to get back in the queue behind an aged Thai Man who gave me a smile as I left, blocking the Teen from pushing in front of him.

Last one, was a store Supervisor in a supermarket, told her were to go as well and the cashier looked at me and cashed me goods first. As I left I mentioned "Fuk U" like the big gekos do in Thailand. w00t.gif Been back there and never had a problem after that.whistling.gif

Win in Kan thumbsup.gif

PS. jdinasia hope all is good with you and Thank You for your kind words and support wai.gif

I had an interesting experience in a somtam/gai yang restaurant in Chiang Mai -- a hole-in-the wall place that's busy at lunch and apparently doesn't want to deal with foreigners. They have a "system" where have order by filling out a slip of paper, with all items listed in Thai and give that to the several ladies preparing food at the front of the restaurant. Meanwhile, you go to the back and collect your cutlery, water, etc, take a seat and they'll bring your food. If you just come in and sit down, you'll be ignored. The first time you come, you either have to come with someone who knows the system or you just sit for a while and observe. If you can't read enough Thai to order, then too bad. They don't have order forms in English. But, the food is great.

I had a place like that near my home in China. Great food, and cheap, but I couldn't go there alone because the menu on the wall was in Chinese, as was the order form.

I brought an order form to my translator and had an English version made up. I left them a few copies, and the next time I went there, they had one of them laminated, sitting on the counter. It was "point and hold up some fingers" to indicate quantity.

And I was treated very well every time I went. In fact, they bent over backwards to serve the occasional foreigners who stopped in. I suspect they just didn't see the value in paying someone to translate their menu.

• Like 1

So not a Shop then, but an outlet inside the Mall and large supermarket, coffee1.gifhence painting the place as if TMK as a whole racist. blink.png

Do you agree with that statement, to the OP?whistling.gif

Win thumbsup.gif