En-Dex 8000 dosage, side affects

Hello,

Lately our two goldens have been getting ticks on a daily basis, two kinds.. one the tiny tick and the other huge ticks, I am constantly removing them, we have tried front line and various shampoo`s plus a chemical you spray on the lawn over night, none have been affective.

A kind user of the forum advised me to get En-Dex 8000 which I have just managed to find in our local pet shop, they only had the En-Dex 8000 not En-Dex 5000 etc.

I was only given two tablets and as I do not speak Thai was not given any instructions or dosage to follow.

Question is how many tablets should I give my dogs and how often?

Leo is a big golden at around 30gk and my other dog Lea around 9kg

Also, should I expect any side affects from this drug?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

• Like 1

Can't help with the End-Dex 5000 but I do sympathise with what you are going through. I have a 3-year old Golden Labrador and she started getting ticks about three weeks ago. I gave her a shampoo, tick powder, Frontline and spent hours and hours combing and removing ticks by hand. I also spread powder on the ground around her sleeping area to kill off any attacks by land. I thought I had cracked the problem but had to leave her while I went away for a couple of days. I returned 3 days later and she was covered all over again. Aaaah! In the past Frontline has worked very well but this time around the ticks seems to be enjoying the feast not dropping like they have done in the past. If I cannot get on top of the problem in the next couple of days by daily grooming, shampoo and shower then I think I will take her to the vets for an injection.

• Like 1

Can't help with the End-Dex 5000 but I do sympathise with what you are going through. I have a 3-year old Golden Labrador and she started getting ticks about three weeks ago. I gave her a shampoo, tick powder, Frontline and spent hours and hours combing and removing ticks by hand. I also spread powder on the ground around her sleeping area to kill off any attacks by land. I thought I had cracked the problem but had to leave her while I went away for a couple of days. I returned 3 days later and she was covered all over again. Aaaah! In the past Frontline has worked very well but this time around the ticks seems to be enjoying the feast not dropping like they have done in the past. If I cannot get on top of the problem in the next couple of days by daily grooming, shampoo and shower then I think I will take her to the vets for an injection.

Thanks for the reply, why not give En-Dex 8000 a try? I have only seen good reviews onit but I will keep you pinned on how affective it is

Edited by ryanhull
  • Like 1

En-Dex 8000 contains 8000 microgrammes of Invermectin. (Guess how many microgrammes En-Dex 5000 contains!)

These doses are scarily high. HeartGuard, for example contains 68-272 microgrammes per tablet.

The lethal dose for Invermectin in some dogs (MCR1 positive) is as low as 100 microgrammes/kg. From elsewhere

"Before using higher doses of ivermectin, however, at risk dogs can be tested for the MDR1 gene mutation. This is especially important for breeds like Collies, Shetland Sheepdogs (Shelties), Australian Shepherds, Old English Sheepdogs, English Shepherds, German Shepherds, Long-haired Whippets, Silken Windhounds, and mutts that might be derived from these breeds."

(Source: http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2013/jan/toxic-ivermectin-and-safe-use-of-ivermectin-29671 )

There are better and safer medicines out there for dealing with ticks. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

• Like 2

Have been using Promec-8000 for about a year. This also contains Ivermectin.

Dog 1, 25kg, 1 tablet. Dog 2, 12kg, 1 tablet. Aunties dog 1, 6kg, 1/2 tablet. Aunties dog 2, 10kg, 1 tablet.

The 10kg and 12kg dogs, I was tempted to use 1/2, but the little buggers are always in long grass, water and around lots of other untreated dogs.

Not noticed any health issues caused by using this medication. Although 4 dogs is a very small sample.

The link posted by AyG is an interesting read.

Edit - Forgot to add. Give the tablets once a month.

Edit 2 - Have a look at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/764269-Ticks%2C-my-solution

Lots of knowledge shared.

Edited by sean in udon
  • Like 1

En-Dex 8000 contains 8000 microgrammes of Invermectin. (Guess how many microgrammes En-Dex 5000 contains!)

These doses are scarily high. HeartGuard, for example contains 68-272 microgrammes per tablet.

The lethal dose for Invermectin in some dogs (MCR1 positive) is as low as 100 microgrammes/kg. From elsewhere

"Before using higher doses of ivermectin, however, at risk dogs can be tested for the MDR1 gene mutation. This is especially important for breeds like Collies, Shetland Sheepdogs (Shelties), Australian Shepherds, Old English Sheepdogs, English Shepherds, German Shepherds, Long-haired Whippets, Silken Windhounds, and mutts that might be derived from these breeds."

(Source: http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2013/jan/toxic-ivermectin-and-safe-use-of-ivermectin-29671 )

There are better and safer medicines out there for dealing with ticks. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

unless you have experiance of useing endex[on farm animals and horses] i wouldnt use it,over 4yrs.ago i bought some,

no information on dosage at all never used it so as AyG suggests there are safer medicines out there.

we are thinking of getting a monkey the best tick finders in the world.biggrin.png

• Like 1

My vet said the way to judge how much ivermectin to give is 600 micrograms per kg. (mainly for heartworm and ecdoparasites).

I have been using it for some time on various crossbred dogs, without noticing any side-effects. But I'm not sure that it works too well.

Recently I used tick collars, which seem to keep the numbers down at least. Preventic in my opinion is better than the Bayer version simply because it has a better fastening device.

In season we get masses of ticks.... but they haven't started here yet. I have collars ready for my dogs when they do!

• Like 1

(Source: http://www.petmd.com...vermectin-29671 )

That is a worrying amount, I am reading pretty much mainly good views about it on the forum but I would be interested to know what tablets/brand I can ask for as an alternative, I am not in Bangkok so I do not have many pet stores and need to get this sorted pretty quick.

Have been using Promec-8000 for about a year. This also contains Ivermectin.

Dog 1, 25kg, 1 tablet. Dog 2, 12kg, 1 tablet. Aunties dog 1, 6kg, 1/2 tablet. Aunties dog 2, 10kg, 1 tablet.

The 10kg and 12kg dogs, I was tempted to use 1/2, but the little buggers are always in long grass, water and around lots of other untreated dogs.

Not noticed any health issues caused by using this medication. Although 4 dogs is a very small sample.

The link posted by AyG is an interesting read.

Edit - Forgot to add. Give the tablets once a month.

Edit 2 - Have a look at http://www.thaivisa....ks,-my-solution

Lots of knowledge shared.

Some good info I already shampoo them but I will try the Bayticol on the paws, is Promec-8000 the same as dex-8000?

Thanks for the replies all

En-dex 8000

20kg - 1tablet a month

30kg - 1+ 1/2 tablet a month

40kg - 2 tablets a month

I was advised to double the dosage on first month. Did so with no side effects.

My Labrador has been taking this stuff for almost 4 years and has been tick free since.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 2

En-dex 8000

20kg - 1tablet a month

40kg - 2 tablets a month

My Labrador has been taking this stuff for almost 4 years and has been tick free since.

Thanks for the info, I have been so many mixed reviews on this stuff, some say its bad some say its the best, I am going to give it a go as the tick problem is needs sorting.

Cheers

• Like 1

En-dex 8000

20kg - 1tablet a month

40kg - 2 tablets a month

Thanks for the info, I have been so many mixed reviews on this stuff, some say its bad some say its the best, I am going to give it a go as the tick problem is needs sorting.

Cheers

My German Shepherd cross has been taking 12000 micrograms Endex monthly for at least two years; he is about 22 kgs. No side-effects.

• Like 2

My German Shepherd cross has been taking 12000 micrograms Endex monthly for at least two years; he is about 22 kgs. No side-effects.

Thanks for the info, I gave Leo and Lea there dose yesterday lunch time and this morning they both have no ticks at all, not sure how quickly that stuff takes affect but I usually spot at least one in the morning between them!

So far so good

Thanks for the info, I gave Leo and Lea there dose yesterday lunch time and this morning they both have no ticks at all, not sure how quickly that stuff takes affect but I usually spot at least one in the morning between them!

So far so good

We'll done.

If they were inside overnight don't forget to spray around the house. Even if outside you may need to spray the garden/yard.

If they have bedding, check that thoroughly as well.

Best wishes.....

After several years in Isan, with dogs which go for a long walk every morning through the rice paddies, I've come to the conclusion that there's no easy answer to ticks. See passim for various posters' methods, all of which seem to work for some people but not for others.

Keep checking, use whatever seems to work best..... and never give up. I had ticks everywhere, on the dogs, up the walls, coming out of the woodwork, you name it. But I beat them, and for a few months I have only had the occasional one (intruder from outside?).

But they'll be back.... and I'll be at it again.

• Like 1

Neem oil mixed with shampoo at 1 to 1 is good. I inject ivermectin once a month,no problems. Soi dogs with bad coat I toss a piece of meat soaked in the stuff ,some of them must have had four times the dose with all the fighting over the scraps,still there following week

• 4 years later...