Police poised to carry out raids nationwide after success of dawn raids in Samui

webfact

Police poised to carry out raids nationwide after success of dawn raids in Samui

dawn-raids-3.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Many more tourist destinations are coming under scrutiny after the dawn raids in Koh Samui last week. So encouraged by the success of the raids to break up criminal gangs police are now looking to widen their net and expand their list of targets to other tourist areas.

Thitirat Nonghanpitak, the acting chief of the Central Investigation Bureau has been quoted as saying that they are hoping to see the same success everywhere criminal syndicates are found.

Last Friday Pol Mag Gen Thitirat led 300 police to join with the military and at the sun rose across Koh Samui 756 security officers including commando police and soldiers raided 26 spots believed to be the hideouts of local people of influence and criminals.

During the raid five suspects were arrested, 20 guns and 835 rounds of ammunition were confiscated as well as three kilograms of the narcotic kratom plant.

The move came after local businessman Panas Kao-uthai, 49, was shot dead in a restaurant in the popular Fisherman’s village during the weekly walking street market. It is believed that business conflicts between influential figures on the island was the motive behind the crime. The man’s death frightened villagers and raised grave concerns with the police who believe that the high level of crime in Koh Samui was tarnishing its reputation as a top tourist destination.

During the time of the raids the gunman involved in the shooting was still at large, however the main suspect turned himself into the police on the evening of the raids, fearful that he would be killed during the operation. The day before the raids four other suspects in the Panas killing were arrested.

Police said that apprehending the gunmen was a simple operation as the incident was caught clearly on CCTV in the village. It is believed those involved in the plot to kill Panas were having a dispute with him over a real estate project and the revenue from the walking street market held each Friday.

According to a report in the Bangkok post, the investigators into the murder believe that three suspects hired gunmen to kill Mr. Panas because they were worried many local businesses would end up in his hands, as he had good connections with investors outside the island. The deadly conflict alerted Pol j Gen Thitirat to other problems with mafia in Samui, so the crackdown was ordered. The move also came after concerns were raised about rising crime by tourists visiting the area.

Pol Maj Gen Thitirat has vowed to “cut the mafia’s cycle” everywhere, especially in tourist destinations. This will not only involve raids on targeted areas but blocking financial transactions of those suspected to me mafia.

During the Samui operation police from the Economic Crime Suppression Division and Technology Crime Suppression Division were ordered to inspect the suspects computers, mobile phones and business tax information.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-03-23

• Like 1

I am confident that if the foreign media gets hold of the police and army intentions to raid houses in tourist islands and scare the s$it out of everybody they will advice tourists to flood Thailand.w00t.gif

And out of this super display of power with 756 heroes involved......they got 20 guns and some kratom leaves.

You forgot the 835 rounds of ammunition. cheesy.gif

I am confident that if the foreign media gets hold of the police and army intentions to raid houses in tourist islands and scare the s$it out of everybody they will advice tourists to flood Thailand.w00t.gif

And out of this super display of power with 756 heroes involved......they got 20 guns and some kratom leaves.

Costas, I live on Samui. Let me just tell you any such action is most welcome, no matter if they got 1 or 20 or 100 guns. It's the message that counts the most.

Samui is the only island / resort not touched by the military until now. Beg your pardon, they tried with the taxis.

They "tried" with the taxi, I am not a Thai basher so did not started a topic on Samui forum but a month ago or so in Nathon, yes it was raining, yes it was night already, but when we asked at the pier the price for Nathon to Lamai the answer was 600 Baht... per personcheesy.gif since my Thai wife asked him not me, I am sure no mistake, she asked again, 600 Baht per person said he, after a few minutes we found one for 800 Baht...but yes again I reckon it was raining smile.png

• Like 1

Really caught the big guys!! Some kratom leaves. WOW!!

No ice or yabba at all?? Very poor return for the amount of officers.

Done no good really as saturday night 2 people killed in chaweng and a gun was used , guess they missed the other 90 percent of owners!

As for the villagers being scared about the shooting, nobody batted an eyelid . Business as usual next day apart from the restaurant it happened in!!

And quite a few rounds of ammunition (835, which is apparently harder to come by than guns according to 1 report I read) Also they made 5 arrests, including the gunman involved in the shooting of the businessman that "triggered" the raids in the first place. (Actually handed himself in as he was scared he was going to get shot himself!)

So before you get too critical of the amount of "firepower" used, please quote all the available facts and figures, not just a random selection of your choice.

I personally think that although it probably put the ^&*% 's up some tourists, it probably eventually gave them something to talk about over their beers that evening after they recovered from the initial shock. Same can't be said about the bad guys who are now presumably in the monkey house trying to arrange bail.

It also sends a message to other mafia run hot spots - "you have been warned, and we will not be afraid to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut, as long as the nut gets cracked!"

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

Lets say I want to go up Chaweng in order to shop at Big C and Makro.... It's maybe 20 minutes each way from where I live. If I do it by taxi then it'll cost me 1200 or perhaps 1000 on a good day if the gods are favouring me. Or... I can rent a car for the entire day for 600 Baht and even get a local lad to drive it for me for an additional 200 Baht.

Taxi: 1000 Baht minimum.

Hire car and chauffeur: 800 Baht.

It's a no brainer.

• Like 1

Why isn't the police giving out the names, addresses and phone numbers of those they intend to raid? They usually tell the press exactly who, when and where they are going to hit...

Eggsactly why the Army was in charge!

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am confident that if the foreign media gets hold of the police and army intentions to raid houses in tourist islands and scare the s$it out of everybody they will advice tourists to flood Thailand. alt=w00t.gif>

Costas, I live on Samui. Let me just tell you any such action is most welcome, no matter if they got 1 or 20 or 100 guns. It's the message that counts the most.

Samui is the only island / resort not touched by the military until now. Beg your pardon, they tried with the taxis.

I think next stop should be Koh Chang with only the army involved.

So you fell for it. You can look at all the reports in all the newspapers and everyone of them will say 20 guns/fire arms but not one said they were illegal fire arms. The other problem is that the real mafia was never touched by this operation and will never be as they are the ones that supply the foot soldiers when there are protests in BKK.

• Like 1

easy to be flippant but a start is a start!....this place is becoming lawless an army presence i think is welcome.

• Like 1

So you fell for it. You can look at all the reports in all the newspapers and everyone of them will say 20 guns/fire arms but not one said they were illegal fire arms. The other problem is that the real mafia was never touched by this operation and will never be as they are the ones that supply the foot soldiers when there are protests in BKK.

And you know this to be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth exactly how? Careful if you can't substantiate those "facts" - you could get labelled as a "Conspiracy Theorist' by one of our infamous RTP apologists!

Lets say I want to go up Chaweng in order to shop at Big C and Makro.... It's maybe 20 minutes each way from where I live. If I do it by taxi then it'll cost me 1200 or perhaps 1000 on a good day if the gods are favouring me. Or... I can rent a car for the entire day for 600 Baht and even get a local lad to drive it for me for an additional 200 Baht.

Taxi: 1000 Baht minimum.

Hire car and chauffeur: 800 Baht.

It's a no brainer.

Holy crap, I had not realised how much you guys get ripped off by the local scumbags - luckily here in Bangkok we do have good and honorable taxi drivers (I am sure there must be SOME down there too), and although sometimes we do have issues with the service, it's nothing anywhere near as bad as that!

I usually catch a taxi home in the evening if I go out for a few drinks with my friends, and the 30 minute trip home comes out at about 130 baht on an average day (traffic wise).

Don't think I will be going down your way any time soon...

Regarding the op - I am delighted that the police are taking a serious stance on these criminal gangs, and I hope it continues - the naysayers are being extremely short-sighted - you can't expect to arrest hundreds simply because the police used a large force to "crack the nut" - the message and those few arrests are a very good start!

• Like 2

I usually catch a taxi home in the evening if I go out for a few drinks with my friends, and the 30 minute trip home comes out at about 130 baht on an average day (traffic wise).

Minimum charge is 300 Baht and that will get you maybe 1.5km. North Lamai to south Lamai is 2.3km... 400 Baht.