Thais are rude to me

tuonsai

OP I have to ask why you are even posting this? You even say that you have already posted a topic in a similar vein and comments mainly disagreed with you. Seems like you are trying to validate your feelings.

Sorry but the examples you give can happen anywhere (although apparently not Cambodia laugh.png ) I personally think you need to chill and I hope that you get the message from the above replies that most of us really don't care coffee1.gif

I'm posting this because it's an issue of interest to me and this is a discussion forum.

I'm thinking about moving to Thailand from Cambodia, but I'm afraid this country is a bit xenophobic. No, this level of rudeness does not happen anywhere, it's obviously aimed at my white skin. I've never had a taxi driver not say a word to me or even look at me anywhere else in the world and I have traveled widely. It just surprises me because I take care not to look like a low class foreigner, so that can't be a reason either.

I do understand these are individuals, and I noticed these people look like they're frustrated with the world in general. Some others have been nice so far, but the balance over the last 24 hours leans toward rudeness. I guess a lot of people just get used to it and the same will happen to me.

Your last line explains your need to post this silliness.

People give you their feedback and your response is to discount the experience of people who have been here longer.

Regarding doors. More silliness.

People give you their feedback and your response is to discount the experience of people who have been here longer.

Okay, I'm not discounting the experience of others, but they could be in denial also.

I think the issue of friendliness of the locals is a huge issue many of us looking to

make our lives in distant cultures like South East Asia, so call it silliness or whatever but it is a major issue for me. If I experience constant rudeness from thais, it will be a deal breaker. Please no more of the we don't want you here, move to Cambodia type responses. I already live in Cambodia.

Thanks for the replies.

I feel in general that thailand is a friendly place and most people I interact with are polite.

In the customer service industry it can really be hit or miss. My worst experience ever in a restaurant was in thailand where the cook was literally screaming at me after I made a complaint.

I feel that I have seen isolated incidents of rudeness here that I have never witnessed anywhere else in the world.

It seems that some here have a very short fuse with customers, and that may be a reflection of how they have been treated in the past by other customers.

I just get the feeling from time to time that they have the "I don't need your money attitude" and don't care about the consequences of their actions.

Before the if you don't like to go home bandwagon shows up, I like it here. These incidents leave a bad taste in my mouth, but overall I find the people here friendlier than in the west.

I also feel that Cambodia is friendlier, and i attribute that to the fact that they really don't have the option to say "I don't need your money". Cambodia may be like the thailand of the past, just a guess because I wasn't here then.

• Like 1

Okay, I'm not discounting the experience of others, but they could be in denial also.

I think the issue of friendliness of the locals is a huge issue many of us looking to

make our lives in distant cultures like South East Asia, so call it silliness or whatever but it is a major issue for me. If I experience constant rudeness from thais, it will be a deal breaker. Please no more of the we don't want you here, move to Cambodia type responses. I already live in Cambodia.

Thanks for the replies.

Well stay there,and stop posting absolute nonsense on here.

• Like 1

Well stay there,and stop posting absolute nonsense on here.

Marko, saying this is nonsense is your personal opinion, and to my knowledge noone is forcing you to participate in this discussion. Feel free to comment on any of the 10 000 other topics on Thai Visa or whatever else you may wish to spend your precious time on Earth on, instead of writing meaningless one-liners to other people's discussion if you're not interested.

@1BADDAT thanks I appreciate your insights !

I always used to hold the door open for people, still do when I forget not too. I cant remember one Thai ever saying thank you or someone holding the door open for me.

Funny you should mention the holding the door thing. I was in MBK a couple of months back and held the door open and the guy who I assume was Thai and he said thank you to me in English. That was the first time in the 4 years I have been visiting here.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've been here on and off for ten years now, only been a member on Thai visa for about a year though and I'm surprised how many complaints are posted from people living in Thailand or visiting. I've never had any problems with any travel agents, taxi drivers, paying my bin in a bar. As for children looking at me I couldn't give a toss. I live in a very remote village in Isaan young kids often stare at me, I look back at them and ask if they are having a good day, they smile and laugh. Think it could be you.

Quote:

"... but it is a major issue for me. If I experience constant rudeness from thais, it will be a deal breaker."

"I still love Thailand, because you still have three nice and polite people for every rude one, but the Land of Smiles moniker is not going to hold up for long if Thais continue behaving this way."

"constant rudeness" ... "still have three nice and polite people" ... "I still love Thailand" .... -- -- Wow! If another member were to say to you, "mate, you need to grow a pair", I would agree with them. But I wouldn't say it, of course ... polite, I am.

Hey, OP, do not look at me like that while I am reading your post. I do not like it.

Big wow! Children do stare. They are children. Maybe you look white as a ghost? Or he had a previous, strange encounter with a Farang.

Thai people do say Thank you.

There are rude people everywhere on this planet but we don't really find the need to mention it. And as said previously, learn some Thai.

Don't forget that smile either. It goes a hell of a long way in Thailand.

• Like 2

I have to go and work back in the uk in a couple of weeks and half the lads I work with are way more ignorant than any Thai I've ever met, excluding the wife's step mum who is in line for a severe beating when the father in law dies.

People in Bangkok, tourist places, anywhere they have to deal with farangs, seem pretty rude. But that doesn't represent thai people. Get out of those places and meet some average Thai people and they are a bit friendlier and not irritated by the sight of a white man.

People in Bangkok, tourist places, anywhere they have to deal with farangs, seem pretty rude. But that doesn't represent thai people. Get out of those places and meet some average Thai people and they are a bit friendlier and not irritated by the sight of a white man.

Tourists anywhere in the world are prone to getting scammed etc.

However, I have not found actual rudeness in places other than Pattaya and Patong. I only encountered rudeness in those places because I speak Thai and know the score.

Funny how this always seems to surface in the more touristy areas, begs the question, is their attitude a reflection and a direct result of the visitors attitude/actions toward them ?

The visitors expectations and demands on a culture and society that operates in a totally different way to their own, would they not be deemed rude and even offensive to locals and therefore get the perceived reaction and attitude reflected back.

Exactly my point from earlier. "Manners" are not universal.

Funny how this always seems to surface in the more touristy areas, begs the question, is their attitude a reflection and a direct result of the visitors attitude/actions toward them ?

The visitors expectations and demands on a culture and society that operates in a totally different way to their own, would they not be deemed rude and even offensive to locals and therefore get the perceived reaction and attitude reflected back.

I can tell you it's definitely not a result of my direct actions or attitude against anyone. I approached these people in a friendly and polite manner as I do anywhere else, and do not look like a backpacker or a sex tourist. The taxi guy did not even look at me, after seeing I'm a foreigner. It's definitely a resentment of foreigners here. Being rude is a pretty objective human trait, If one of my own countrymen treated me this disrespectfully it would not go unanswered, and I'm sure if they treated a fellow thai this way, they might get a knife in their back.

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to ignore all the people who don't seem to follow the fact that I live in South East Asia and debating between Thailand vs. Cambodia. All the other countries are out for various reasons.

I'm not disappointed in Thailand, I'm ambivalent towards it (i.e. I have both negative and positive feelings toward it).

Edited by tuonsai
  • Like 1

I can tell you it's definitely not. I approached all these people in a friendly and polite manner, and do not look like a backpacker or a sex tourist. The taxi guy did not even look at me, after seeing I'm a foreigner. Thanks for the responses, I'm going to ignore all the people who don't seem to follow the fact that I live in South East Asia and debating between Thailand vs. Cambodia. All the other countries are out for various reasons.

I'm not disappointed in Thailand, I'm ambivalent towards it (i.e. I have both negative and positive feelings toward it), if that's too hard for some to understand, they need to grow some brains.

Again discounting the experience of people who live in Thailand.....

• Like 1

Been living here for a long time and can't recall experiencing this, whether in shops, taxis, restaurants, at the market, etc. Inquisitive looks from kids up country when foreigners were still a novelty, but definitely not rude.

Obviously, I have experienced snide comments and the like (although only rarely), but nearly always from a drunk or a young man try to show off to his friends. Never from someone providing a service, such as a shop assistant or taxi driver.

I can tell you it's definitely not a result of my direct actions or attitude against anyone. I approached these people in a friendly and polite manner as I do anywhere else, and do not look like a backpacker or a sex tourist. The taxi guy did not even look at me, after seeing I'm a foreigner. It's definitely a resentment of foreigners here. Being rude is a pretty objective human trait, If one of my own countrymen treated me this disrespectfully it would not go unanswered, and I'm sure if they treated a fellow thai this way, they might get a knife in their back.

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to ignore all the people who don't seem to follow the fact that I live in South East Asia and debating between Thailand vs. Cambodia. All the other countries are out for various reasons.

I'm not disappointed in Thailand, I'm ambivalent towards it (i.e. I have both negative and positive feelings toward it).

So maybe you are polite and approachable, but the last 100 foreigners they interacted with were complete jerks. Would you expect them to recognize the difference between you and the last 100 jerks they saw? You mentioned the lady at the bus station counter selling you a ticket as being rude and you couldn't understand her. You said she doesn't speak English, so don't you think it might be a little frustrating to talk to customers all day long that don't speak your language (thai)? I have also seen people react to this language barrier (nationality withheld) by yelling their demand repeatedly and louder each time.

• Like 1

You need to calm down and step back a bit, no one said YOU specifically, the term "visitors" was used. If people encounter attitude and rudeness from the majority of the people they encounter from a particular group,, rightly or wrongly, its human nature that they are going to expect a certain group to behave a certain way and therefore act accordingly to any members of that group. Naturally there are exceptions to the rule but the general attitude and assumption will be there.

No one, certainly not me, said YOU specifically, so stop being so defensive, and even aggressive, as it actually makes you appear to belong to said group.

I always used to hold the door open for people, still do when I forget not too. I cant remember one Thai ever saying thank you or someone holding the door open for me.

Sounds like you are opening said doors,expecting a thankyou,while you have good manners,bery,you cannot expect the whole world to have the same,as far as i can see this kind of courtesy is not prevelant in asian culture's,so mate,don't bother and feel happier.

Much better to physically smash it shut behind youlaugh.pnglaugh.png check their bleeding noses as you saunter offbiggrin.png

You are going to places that mostly are used by sexpats or other unwanted tourists from Pattaya or Bangkok that can't get a proper visa.

Why should the bus station woman, the kid, taxi driver, or me think otherwise. What did you do in Cambodia for 3 months?

I've been here for many years and there are some Thais who have been rude to me. I can speak the language so turn it around. ONe grumpy looking taxi driver totally changed when I started speaking Isarn to him and gave me a discount.

Being rude is a pretty objective human trait, If one of my own countrymen treated me this disrespectfully it would not go unanswered, and I'm sure if they treated a fellow thai this way, they might get a knife in their back.

Why are you scared of Thai people? Probably something lacking in yourself.

"I don't look like a sex tourist"....quote of the day, me thinks. And what's wrong with backpackers? People loved me when i was a backpacker!

Oh no, there was another brilliant one, "When we arrived he only managed to mutter a forced "thank you" when I gave him a 20 baht tip."

And another, "She speaks about three words of English......."

So your blaming her for not speaking English. (LOL)

You blame the taxi driver for being quiet and he even said thank you wrongly (LOL).

And then there's the kid who is racist and was looking at you funny (LOL)

Bottom line here mate: You have a very bad attitude and i would not be surprised if someone was rude to you, but none of these three cases amount to rudeness.

What does a sex tourist look like anyway? I would love to hear your description.

• Like 2