Thais are rude to me

tuonsai

whistling.gif I pointed out in another post that life, especially in Bangkok, is becoming more stressful every day for the average Thai

I first came to Thailand in 1977 and I have been here at least once each year since then.

The old "friendly Thai smile" Is harder to find now.

As I said in the other earlier post ..... there is a large and growing disparity between what the average working Thai is being sold as the "normal" life he or she should expect to get, and the reality of his or her life is wide and growing wider.

For many of the middle class workers what they are being brainwashed to expect as their "right" and what they experience every day is getting wider every day,

Just read the Thai news, even if you only read it in English.

Only in the last couple of days, there was an article of an unemployed worker who killed his wife and children because he had no job.

20 years ago that was unheard of, Thai families took care of their relatives when if they had problems.

Not any longer.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

You gave the taxi driver a tip after such behaviour???? 20 Bt???? I would have given him 1 Bt just out of spite.

But after nine years in Thailand, I am struggling to find a case of any Thais being rude to me.

I find it exactly the opposite.

I always used to hold the door open for people, still do when I forget not too. I cant remember one Thai ever saying thank you or someone holding the door open for me.

I find it the same, but you have to remember that what is bad manners to you, is not always bad manners to Thais.

I think it would be wrong to say that Thai people are rude, they are just in a different culture from you. If you touched a Thai kids

head, or showed anger in public, you would not look on that as bad manners, but Thais would.

I always used to hold the door open for people, still do when I forget not too. I cant remember one Thai ever saying thank you or someone holding the door open for me.

Thais can never say thank you for anything regarding a farang........ Its in built from School age in my opinion !

That's just not true, I was a school teacher and plenty of kids said thank you to me.

I remember the first time I met my wife, I said to her "you are beautiful", she then said

to me "thank you".

Your last line explains your need to post this silliness.

People give you their feedback and your response is to discount the experience of people who have been here longer.

Regarding doors. More silliness.

Okay, I'm not discounting the experience of others, but they could be in denial also.

I think the issue of friendliness of the locals is a huge issue many of us looking to

make our lives in distant cultures like South East Asia, so call it silliness or whatever but it is a major issue for me. If I experience constant rudeness from thais, it will be a deal breaker. Please no more of the we don't want you here, move to Cambodia type responses. I already live in Cambodia.

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe when you have lived in Thailand as long as you have lived in Cambodia, you may find that Thai peoples manners are not as bad as you think.

One of the reasons people who have lived in Thailand for a long time don't find problems where others do is maybe because they have just become immune to it.

Its like trying to get past the food vendors at the entrance to many BTS stations. I used to wait for a few people to pass by, as there is only room for one way traffic.

No one ever thought to stop and let me go or the other people waiting at my end of the line.

In the end I just used to not bother stopping at all now I just walk past doing the shoulder bumps. A problem solved.

As for children staring, I find sticking my tongue out and pulling a silly face works every time. They will either smile or look away.

whistling.gif I pointed out in another post that life, especially in Bangkok, is becoming more stressful every day for the average Thai

I first came to Thailand in 1977 and I have been here at least once each year since then.

The old "friendly Thai smile" Is harder to find now.

As I said in the other earlier post ..... there is a large and growing disparity between what the average working Thai is being sold as the "normal" life he or she should expect to get, and the reality of his or her life is wide and growing wider.

For many of the middle class workers what they are being brainwashed to expect as their "right" and what they experience every day is getting wider every day,

Just read the Thai news, even if you only read it in English.

Only in the last couple of days, there was an article of an unemployed worker who killed his wife and children because he had no job.

20 years ago that was unheard of, Thai families took care of their relatives when if they had problems.

Not any longer.

Sorry but you are conflating the availability of news with what you were actually aware of. However, with the birthrate in Thailand having dropped significantly since 1974 it certainly does mean that families have changed.

One of the reasons people who have lived in Thailand for a long time don't find problems where others do is maybe because they have just become immune to it.

Its like trying to get past the food vendors at the entrance to many BTS stations. I used to wait for a few people to pass by, as there is only room for one way traffic.

No one ever thought to stop and let me go or the other people waiting at my end of the line.

In the end I just used to not bother stopping at all now I just walk past doing the shoulder bumps. A problem solved.

As for children staring, I find sticking my tongue out and pulling a silly face works every time. They will either smile or look away.

Something that a noob to Thailand, who doesn't like Thai people and isn't planning on staying will never know, is why people who have lived here a long time don't have many issues here.

Instead of pushing your way through the situation you describe above, try stepping back and watching how locals navigate congested areas :)

Something that a noob to Thailand, who doesn't like Thai people and isn't planning on staying will never know, is why people who have lived here a long time don't have many issues here.

Instead of pushing your way through the situation you describe above, try stepping back and watching how locals navigate congested areas smile.png

Strangely enough I know a number of people who have lived in Thailand for 20 years plus. I mention to them the things I see from day to day living in the middle of Bangkok. Most of them will laugh and tell me that is the reason they no longer live in the middle of Bangkok.

They have all moved to the outskirts and visit the city very rarely.

And yes I have watched the local navigate crowded areas. They wait and wait and wait. And if's really really busy they will stop and look at a dress or a pair of shorts or stop to buy some noodles so nothing moves at all. The slower the foot traffic the more chance the vendors have of selling stuff. It didn't take me long to work out how or why things are done here.

Now unlike many rather than stay here and moan about it forever more I'm off home.

Mind you that doesn't mean I wont be having a moan from home :)

OK...

Neither I nor my husband have issues navigating crowded areas...

Perhaps you gravitate to like-minded people?

Like I say you have become more Thai. When I first arrived here I used to work about a mile from Bearing BTS I walked up Suk Soi 105 and never got over taken by anyone as I tended to walk quick.

Now I often get over taken by Thai people as I have slowed down to a more Thai way of walking. But there is no way I can walk behind someone who is doing 200 meters an hour.

To tell you the truth I don't like people very much. That's most people not just Thai people. So whilst I used to enjoy being in a crowd, now I'd rather not be.

Funny how this always seems to surface in the more touristy areas, begs the question, is their attitude a reflection and a direct result of the visitors attitude/actions toward them ?

The visitors expectations and demands on a culture and society that operates in a totally different way to their own, would they not be deemed rude and even offensive to locals and therefore get the perceived reaction and attitude reflected back.

I can tell you it's definitely not a result of my direct actions or attitude against anyone. I approached these people in a friendly and polite manner as I do anywhere else, and do not look like a backpacker or a sex tourist. The taxi guy did not even look at me, after seeing I'm a foreigner. It's definitely a resentment of foreigners here. Being rude is a pretty objective human trait, If one of my own countrymen treated me this disrespectfully it would not go unanswered, and I'm sure if they treated a fellow thai this way, they might get a knife in their back.

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to ignore all the people who don't seem to follow the fact that I live in South East Asia and debating between Thailand vs. Cambodia. All the other countries are out for various reasons.

I'm not disappointed in Thailand, I'm ambivalent towards it (i.e. I have both negative and positive feelings toward it).

What does a sex tourist look like, hahahahahahahhahaha

OP you need help, a little kid looked at you the wrong way.

You found more rude Thai people in 1 day, than i have found in years.

Time for your medication mate.

I found more rude people in France in three days than I have found in Thailand in nine years.

Especialy Paris, what a bunch of heathens they are

OP you need help, a little kid looked at you the wrong way.

You found more rude Thai people in 1 day, than i have found in years.

Time for your medication mate.

I found more rude people in France in three days than I have found in Thailand in nine years.

Especialy Paris, what a bunch of heathens they are
yeah and from my exp' they dont lose the "bad manners ' when they go abroad.:angry:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Funny how this always seems to surface in the more touristy areas, begs the question, is their attitude a reflection and a direct result of the visitors attitude/actions toward them ?

The visitors expectations and demands on a culture and society that operates in a totally different way to their own, would they not be deemed rude and even offensive to locals and therefore get the perceived reaction and attitude reflected back.

I can tell you it's definitely not a result of my direct actions or attitude against anyone. I approached these people in a friendly and polite manner as I do anywhere else, and do not look like a backpacker or a sex tourist. The taxi guy did not even look at me, after seeing I'm a foreigner. It's definitely a resentment of foreigners here. Being rude is a pretty objective human trait, If one of my own countrymen treated me this disrespectfully it would not go unanswered, and I'm sure if they treated a fellow thai this way, they might get a knife in their back.

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to ignore all the people who don't seem to follow the fact that I live in South East Asia and debating between Thailand vs. Cambodia. All the other countries are out for various reasons.

I'm not disappointed in Thailand, I'm ambivalent towards it (i.e. I have both negative and positive feelings toward it).

What does a sex tourist look like, hahahahahahahhahaha
dont have to look like one just being male in pattaya qualifies :D

• Like 2