Prayut pledges to lead country to high income economy

Lite Beer

>>This could be done so if manufacturers could cut high packaging cost particularly on beautiful packaging, which he believed would be well received by the general public.<< Quote

When I read stuff like this and consider, it is coming from the PM of a country, honestly I get embarrassed on his behalf!!

This guy is a disaster!!

It is kind of cute really thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifgiggle.gif

The only way for a country to prosper an get a high income economy is to eradicate corruption, introduce a fair tax system, a good welfare system and to have a proper education system that generates innovative minds. Quite a challenge dear General. Another and easier way would be to invest in foreign lottery schemes and divide the winnings.

Edited by SoilSpoil
  • Like 1

Everyone is going to be rich, no more peasants or middle income just a country full of the wealthy. Quick hold an election you are on a winner here.

He can't use that one - Thaksin already promised to make everyone rich in 6 months many years ago. Of course he made himself very very rich, Not many others though.

Looks like more of the same promises spewed out by politicians around the world. Promise all sorts of wondrous achievements but have the excuses ready.

What's worrying is how quickly he's getting into politician mode and picking up all their little habits and phrases.

He's sent people to watch elections coming up in Germany. The UK election is in May, plenty for trickery to see there, certainly worth a visit for a few of the boys and girls.

What middle income economy? Majority of the population lives on a mere pittance! Non-farmers toil away long days in factories and shops for less than $10/day. How is that middle income? What's high income, $20/day? And the General has how many million baht in the bank? Get real!

Edited by jerojero

lease elucidate on where and why this government will cost the country 15.3 B baht as I would be interested to know where you plucked this figure from!!!

The Economist pegs it at $20-30 billion U.S. dollars....

"The members of the triumphant mob that cheered the army to power are still enjoying their victory. Playing politics with the economy is an expensive business. The costs to Thailand’s economy are still piling up. Compared with trend economic growth the cost will be perhaps $20 billion to $30 billion from 2014 to 2016...."

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2014/10/thailands-economy

Personally I don't believe anything that economists say, they usually get it wrong as they haven't a clue.

This is virtually a footnote at the end of a long article that implies that it is previous abject governments that have led to this situation leaving Thailand near the bottom of the growth league in Asia after a lengthy period of under performance. Yingluck leading Thailand through one, arguably two recessions didn't exactly help matters.

Interestingly, the rest of the article paints a much rosier picture of where Thailand is heading once the global economy problems unwind a little with growth rising, corruption decreasing, public spending rising, exports eventually rising and so on. Seems that this rogue economist with a throwaway-line is out of kilter with the mainstream economists and so his flawed analysis should be dismissed as being off-the-mark as to reality of the situation!!

Give him a chance for Christ sake!!!

Yingluck had her chance and succeeded in trashing the country and leaving it with a 600 BILLION baht deficit - when there wasn't a full blown global crisis.

That's like saying to the Chancellor after just having announced his budget details "all words and no actions"!!

Something that I've noticed that completely invalidates what you say is what Prayut say's he is going to do gets done (without the cock ups and corruption), to boot.

Give him a chance!!! Do we have a choice. He had our full undivided enforced attention and up to now really nothing to show after almost a year and you still think he will deliver. This coup will be another lost year for Thailand as in other previous coups.

"really nothing to show after almost a year"

Do you read the news. The PM probably would probably benefit from professional PR assistance but after 10 months (and having full "undivided" resistance on the part of some people), there has certainly been progress in addressing illegal drugs, weapons, and corruption - in only 10 months, not 10 years.

Neil, we are talking about weightier subject like the economy. Stay focus.

Sorry, I did not realise and could not imagine you were talking about weightier subjects like the economy..... Please do me a great favour and Google "time to turn economy around " You will note that it generally takes most countries a little longer than 10 months to improve any economy.

I always try and stay focus

Edited by NeilSA1

lease elucidate on where and why this government will cost the country 15.3 B baht as I would be interested to know where you plucked this figure from!!!

I had to Google lease elucidate and only got adds for property management. I have no idea what it means.

I had to Google lease elucidate and only got adds for property management. I have no idea what it means.

All sentences start with a capital letter and so it is quite easy to work out that the first word is Please.

Have you got a thing about using Google or something ie: do you Google everything that is Googleable. Please tell me that you haven't Googled this word to see if it exists - I will save you the trouble, my automatic spell checker implies it doesn't.

"really nothing to show after almost a year"

Do you read the news. The PM probably would probably benefit from professional PR assistance but after 10 months (and having full "undivided" resistance on the part of some people), there has certainly been progress in addressing illegal drugs, weapons, and corruption - in only 10 months, not 10 years.

Neil, we are talking about weightier subject like the economy. Stay focus.

The economy is an important factor, but so is law and order, justice, education and social development. They are all weighty subjects that interact.

Thailand is slow to change, under any political party. You want to talk economy - please spell out the achievements of the Yingluck/Thaksin PTP administration and the negatives regarding the economy. As the Shin family already vast fortune increased a whopping 450% during that period I guess we can say their plans worked for some.

A military junta took power because a corrupt government that has acted illegally was in caretaker mode and had either lost control of law and order or was deliberately provoking lawlessness. That was an untenable situation especially as the police refused to enforce the law. The underlying machinations that brought that situation about cannot be speculated upon.

Having brought some semblance of law and order, the cumbersome justice machinery may now actually bring some criminals to justice.

However, the down side is that a military propelled into government does not have an economic strategy and plans ready or people with the required skills and experience to suddenly create one. That is why a return to a civilian government must be made as soon as possible. But not one that lines it's own pockets and makes decisions based on what's best for itself.

Yingluck really didn't have things easy beginning with the flood and then political unrest. Still she did quite well after the flood with a 6.5% GDP growth in 2012 and able to prevent a mass exodus of manufacturers and mending the bad relationship with Cambodia and increasing border trade. 2013 was a disaster with political unrest but she did lay the plans to develop the country infrastructure, long term water management and promoted the investment for Dawei; all the have been continued by the current government.

On the negative side, the rice policy was a fiasco and she now paying the price. The first house and car schemes are debatable. It did brought a heightened domestic consumption and the auto and real estate sectors had a bountiful year and tax collected were on target. The negative side is the increase in household debts.

The problem with the current Adminstration is the dominating style of the PM and his idioscrantic manner he made decision. Budget dispensation have been muted because of his style. The coup also contributed to political uncertainty which is not good for investments. The PM also find it difficult to travel freely for trade talks.

I agreed totally with you that sooner we revert back to civilian rule, the better for the economy.

Maybe he should study how Lee Kuan Yew did it for Singapore.

Lee Kuan Yew was a dictator

A dictator is a ruler who wields absolute authority. A state ruled by a dictator is called a dictatorship. The word originated as the title of a magistrate in ancient Rome appointed by the Senate to rule the republic in times of emergency (see Roman dictator and justitium).

Sound familiar?

>>This could be done so if manufacturers could cut high packaging cost particularly on beautiful packaging, which he believed would be well received by the general public.<< Quote

When I read stuff like this and consider, it is coming from the PM of a country, honestly I get embarrassed on his behalf!!

This guy is a disaster!!

It is kind of cute really thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifgiggle.gif

Still think his statement on trying to cash in on Indian weddings

was the topper. Especially in light of all the Indians who are

caught up in the jet ski scam, and are drugged and robbed

by ladyboys. Pretty sure they speak badly of Thailand when

they get back to India... :-)

Maybe time for a book on witty statements from the PM ?

Edited by EyesWideOpen

You guys have a better idea, how ti fix this down going country? maybe you will search the post of prime minister, until the next election,

You seems to have the answer to everything. lol

Reduce corruption by:

1. Requiring transparency in government spending.

2. Implementing strict conflict of interest laws and financial disclosure laws, strictly enforced, that apply to all government personnel (military, judiciary, civil service, elected officials, etc.) in a position to influence government spending.

3. Mandating open competitive bidding for all government contracts.

4. Un-muzzling the press so it can be a true government watchdog.

Improve education by copying techniques used by other Asian countries that have effective education systems.

Reduce restrictions on foreign investment.

Improve infrastructure through-out Thailand, not just in Bangkok.

Put an end to the military coups that scare off investment.

None of the above would be easy to implement, and none would provide a quick fix, but if they were implemented the economy of Thailand would be significantly better off in a generation.

I am trying to remember the name of that fellow that gave the speech "I have a dream"

The economy is an important factor, but so is law and order, justice, education and social development. They are all weighty subjects that interact.

Thailand is slow to change, under any political party. You want to talk economy - please spell out the achievements of the Yingluck/Thaksin PTP administration and the negatives regarding the economy. As the Shin family already vast fortune increased a whopping 450% during that period I guess we can say their plans worked for some.

A military junta took power because a corrupt government that has acted illegally was in caretaker mode and had either lost control of law and order or was deliberately provoking lawlessness. That was an untenable situation especially as the police refused to enforce the law. The underlying machinations that brought that situation about cannot be speculated upon.

Having brought some semblance of law and order, the cumbersome justice machinery may now actually bring some criminals to justice.

However, the down side is that a military propelled into government does not have an economic strategy and plans ready or people with the required skills and experience to suddenly create one. That is why a return to a civilian government must be made as soon as possible. But not one that lines it's own pockets and makes decisions based on what's best for itself.

Yingluck really didn't have things easy beginning with the flood and then political unrest. Still she did quite well after the flood with a 6.5% GDP growth in 2012 and able to prevent a mass exodus of manufacturers and mending the bad relationship with Cambodia and increasing border trade. 2013 was a disaster with political unrest but she did lay the plans to develop the country infrastructure, long term water management and promoted the investment for Dawei; all the have been continued by the current government.

On the negative side, the rice policy was a fiasco and she now paying the price. The first house and car schemes are debatable. It did brought a heightened domestic consumption and the auto and real estate sectors had a bountiful year and tax collected were on target. The negative side is the increase in household debts.

The problem with the current Adminstration is the dominating style of the PM and his idioscrantic manner he made decision. Budget dispensation have been muted because of his style. The coup also contributed to political uncertainty which is not good for investments. The PM also find it difficult to travel freely for trade talks.

I agreed totally with you that sooner we revert back to civilian rule, the better for the economy.

Agree with both of you as well.

• Like 1

You guys have a better idea, how ti fix this down going country? maybe you will search the post of prime minister, until the next election,

You seems to have the answer to everything. lol

Reduce corruption by:

1. Requiring transparency in government spending.

2. Implementing strict conflict of interest laws and financial disclosure laws, strictly enforced, that apply to all government personnel (military, judiciary, civil service, elected officials, etc.) in a position to influence government spending.

3. Mandating open competitive bidding for all government contracts.

4. Un-muzzling the press so it can be a true government watchdog.

Improve education by copying techniques used by other Asian countries that have effective education systems.

Reduce restrictions on foreign investment.

Improve infrastructure through-out Thailand, not just in Bangkok.

Put an end to the military coups that scare off investment.

None of the above would be easy to implement, and none would provide a quick fix, but if they were implemented the economy of Thailand would be significantly better off in a generation.

I am trying to remember the name of that fellow that gave the speech "I have a dream"

hellstens asked if anyone had a better idea on improving Thailand's economy than Prayuth's plan for government interference. I suggested less corruption, better infrastructure, better education, less government interference in the economy, and an end to coups that cause economic uncertainty by rewriting the rule book once or twice a decade (risky for people planning long-term investments). Prayuth could get things moving in these areas, but somehow I can't see him doing so.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Lee Kuan Yew was a dictator

Did he abolish or suspend the Singaporean Parliament? did he abolish or suspend Elections, for a dictator he seems very popular...

A lot of people would not like it if he did.

Suppose the thought of being horse whipped for discarding chewing gum on the floor or other minor misdemeanour's frightens some... whistling.gif

After "screwing the pooch" by destroying Thailand's economy in 2014 and 2015, Prayut needs more than pledges to revive the economy. I'd say he should have quit when he was ahead but then the coup would have only lasted 2 days!

Why do I get the impression that he's out of his depth? With every utterance, it becomes increasingly evident that there is no credible forward traction at all, and that the country is just drifting rudderless - both politically and economically. This can only go on for so long before the ship eventually drifts onto the rocks.

He has lots of guns. He can do whatever he likes

Like Kim Jong-un do you mean? Sure, why not. The peasants planting gaily inthe fields, the smiling children singing national jingoistic songs, the army marching in perfect order, and two flights a week in and out. What's not to like? Happy days!

You think if there were protests, he would have any issues with sending our armed soldiers? He wouldn't flinch for a second.

"Prayut pledges to lead country to high income economy" Well he's the man to do it what with him being the qualified and renowned economist! It's a master plan to be fair, who else would have thought to bring Thailand to a high-income country by changing packing on trinkets and baubles?

Gen.Prayut starts talking more and more like an uneducated person; just into phrases that mean nothing to anybody as they are based on superficial knowledge and he is praying like a priest in church to the uneducated and missleaded crowd!

Just at first finish some of those thousands of "construction sites" and when this is done in the next decade then can start a dream of raising the gross national product and the personal income of the people of thailand! Yes and it needs productivity before you can push a low class income into a middle class income and sure not rise farmers can be the target!

Yes sure you need their votes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But stay on the carpet, not on the red one only!

A Industrial guru?

Wow, glad it was the rest of the world that caused the economy slowdown in Thailand? Nothing to do with a coup?

So what are the programs to be rolled out to make the farmers richer? Distribute the monies from the former Police Chief?

Maybe a 'RICE SCHEME', most other Governments have had something like this? Then what can be done for the rubber farmers?