Are their any Sports Bars in CR?

ChaangNoi

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last count with friends there were only 27 resident Americans in Chiang Rai province. this disregards the teachers and missionaries. For sure we don't have any sports bars here owned by Americans. There are only a few girly bars on skid row.

I have been thinking about opening a sports bar for a while but wanted to make sure there was not something already around. My idea would be to have all the american sports and then all the aus/euro stuff too. No girls other than for serving beer or food. I'd like to have Guinness on tap but I'm sure I would never be able to sell enough to make that work.

Honestly I'm not sure I would even get enough business to cover operating costs, let alone recover my investment into setting the place up. After rent, staff and all the costs for the sports that will add up.

Maybe I should just install a tap in an extra bedroom and invite people over to my house:)

• 2 weeks later...

You'll find it tricky to get staff wanting to work at 5 am for live football and hockey.

Don't get a small place with big rent. the location isn't the main concern, hidden away may be better selling alcohol outside legal hours.

I started in the bar business for the same reason... nowhere to go in a big town.. it worked out fine.

If you have a lot of time and money that you want to piss away go ahead and do it. It is a serious mistake. Remember the entire province only has 700 resident farangs and 85% are English living on limited fixed incomes. Last check of Americans in the province was 27. Have you developed a business plan, what is your break even point, how many Americans do you have to get in the bar daily to break even. If all 27 came in one day you still could not break even. Now having said that, there are a number of young American teachers and missionaries that don't have much money. It is not my business and I am only trying to save you from losing your ass.

It would be more of a hobby than a way to make money. I'm sure I will lose money, they only question is, how much?

I would have the location picked out and staff found before operating. I have had this idea for more than a few years and odds are it would be at least 6 months before I would even do something like this.

If I could only lose $1k to $2k US a month I might open something up. If it would cost me more than that, I would not bother. Flying to Phuket or BKK to watch some sports adds up as well.

If the OP's main aim is just to watch sports then why not just get cable tv at home and watch it there, why go through the hassle of starting a bar and being ok with losing $1-2k per month, very odd!

And I'd be interested to know where Khun Battles gets his stats from, only 700 resident foreigners in CR province with 85% of those being English on a limited fixed income...total nonsense! There are much more than that just in CR muang of many different nationalities and definitely more than just 27 Americans.

This is a very odd thread, almost as strange as the car one.

If the OP's main aim is just to watch sports then why not just get cable tv at home and watch it there, why go through the hassle of starting a bar and being ok with losing $1-2k per month, very odd!

And I'd be interested to know where Khun Battles gets his stats from, only 700 resident foreigners in CR province with 85% of those being English on a limited fixed income...total nonsense! There are much more than that just in CR muang of many different nationalities and definitely more than just 27 Americans.

This is a very odd thread, almost as strange as the car one.

It's an odd forum. coffee1.gif

BTW, I heard Lena's near Mae Chan might be for sale.

And, at last count, 7 Canadians.

And we're too polite to do bars.....

If you have a lot of time and money that you want to piss away go ahead and do it. It is a serious mistake. Remember the entire province only has 700 resident farangs and 85% are English living on limited fixed incomes. Last check of Americans in the province was 27. Have you developed a business plan, what is your break even point, how many Americans do you have to get in the bar daily to break even. If all 27 came in one day you still could not break even. Now having said that, there are a number of young American teachers and missionaries that don't have much money. It is not my business and I am only trying to save you from losing your ass.

Stats came from a friend via immigration about 3 years ago. Remember this only covers the resident farangs with retirement visa and not transit missionaries, teachers and tourist and other Asians. Now maybe there is a few more than what have died off. I am not sure. There are a lot of retired Japanese living in Chiang Rai. In Thailand it is reported that there are 1.2 million Japanese retired and living in Thailand. This is far more than any other nationality. How about a sushi sports bar. I know all of the 5 Canadians living in Chiang Rai and they are nice people. In population I believe that the Dutch are number 2.

Donald, surely this is a wind-up?! Five Canadians and two Dutch, really?

I still doubt those figures are correct even if just using retirement visa stats. And is there any reason you aren't including the thousands of other long term people on different visas such as marriage, work, tourist and business? Would they not be welcome in the OP's sport's bar?

I believe that the Dutch are number 2 in retirement population. Did you notice how clannish farangs are in Chiang Rai. I have no idea who would want to come and watch sports TV in a bar. I do notice that almost all of the bars on skid row have TV watching only one sport.

I have no idea who would want to come and watch sports TV in a bar.

Really?!?

Yes this is an odd thread. I seem to talk out my odd ideas before I act on them (if I ever do). People here point out a lot of things I might over look. However losing money is one thing I'm sure is going to happen.

I can and do watch sports at home but it is not the same. Watching it in a bar is I guess my style. Also since I need a place for an office I would get something that had a second floor and use that area for work. Two birds one stone.

I also know many Americans who are here on marriage visas. I know of 7 right of the top of my head but there have to be more. I'm sure I would find some of them in a sports bar:)

I have to agree that the numbers may be somewhat skewed, partially because CR has grown a great deal in the last few years as well as the various visa types. I am from Canada on a multiple "O" visa (because that is what works for me right now) and my buddy has been here many years on a retirement visa (also Canadian). He may be in those stats, but I wouldn't be.

Not sure how often I would frequent a sports bar for the sports, but if you had a good pool table I would venture down on occasion. Oh..the choice of music would be rather important, but maybe only to me.

Donald certainly has more business experience here and raises many valid points. Start up costs, operational costs, etc, etc, etc.

How long would it take to recoup your initial investment if you were losing money? I'm not a big math guy, but I hate it when the numbers are red.

Of course, if you get the right guys as regulars ( burp.gifburp.gifburp.gif )....... it just might work!

I pop in to The H.O. ( that's "Hang Over", not Hoe!) once in a while. It seems to be very busy when ever I do go and it appears he has a loyal customer base.

The H.O. is rather ... uhm ... cozy, so his overhead may be very manageable. Perhaps a case of "size matters" regarding your vision I would think.

All in all it's totally up to you (being your cash, lol).

I wish you the best of luck if you run with it.

Cheers from here.

Aft

I know of more than 7 Canadians & 2 Dutch retirees plus there are others who live here full time apart from a short vacation to Laos or somewhere.

People from many countries watch NFL even Thais tho like me they would watch live games at home because of the time. You may get some in for the replays that are shown during the week. This would include passing tourists.

Don is unfortunatley very very wrong in the numbers of Expats that either reside in or travel thru Chiang Rai on a Daily Basis.

I think a Sports Bar done properly showing All Popular World Sports Programming would be Successful in Chiang Rai.

A Australian recently oepned a Sports Bar but unfortunately catering primarily to Australian Sports and disregarding the rest of the expats and their wants.

The place to me is actually quite Boring.

And he is doing suprisingly well so far.....................

Do Not try to Scrimp on getting the proper Satelitte TV Programming for All World Sports. Doing it on-line streaming does not work properly and is more hastle than it is worth.

You will at least need to have ASN 1 & 2, FOX Sports, NBA shannel, Golf Channel, Setnata (Rugby and Auzzie Sports), and Channels that have most or all of UK and European Sports Channels.

You will need to have at least 3-4 TV's that are capable of showing different Channels at the same time.

This can be done by buying one or two satelitte packages with the ability to play differnet channesl on differnt TV's at the same time.

Music is more important than Sports Commentaries most of the time.

Be sure to have the right mix of "Pre-Programmed Music". Not YouTube with Staff and Customers Changing and messing with the music feeds disrupting the normal bar flow and disrupting customers enjoyment.

Pime sports viewing for US Sports live is either very late night, or early morning Thai time.

Would need to either open early morning til just after lunch time and serve a nice simple breakfast and hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. as well as Bar Drinks.

Then open again in the Evening from about 7pm.

Or open lunch time til late night and show replays of US Sports and other things live.

And yes, Bars in Thailand need to have women as bartenders and servers. But the Staff does not need to be Leud or Raunchy.

Good Luck. It is not cheap to open a Bar, but if done properly; can be profitable

Visit the Sports Bars in Bangkok near Nana Plaza and in Pattaya before making a Sports Bar Plan.

Then yhou will have a good idea of how to make your own Sports Bar specifically to Chiang Rai and your thinking.

I stand by the resident falangs in Chiang Rai as stated by immigration 3 years ago. Please remember this does not include the bible thumpers, transit school teachers, students and back packing cheap tourist that wonder through for a day.

Better for those who are interested to go down to skid row at lunch and dinner and see how many resident farangs you are going to find. Most will be found in the English Hangover Bar.

I notice that these backpackers with heavy packs simply walk around town and sometimes you see walking down the highway. Not good candidates for sports bars.

I would not call them good candidates but as a backpacker myself I know there are times where you just need a place to be for 4 or 5 hours for whatever reason. The first place I always look for is a place with Guinness on tap. Second to that any sports bar. Clearly one can't count on them for much revenue but they will come in. Where else are they going to go? Coffee house is the only real option in CR and there seems to be 100's of them doing well.

Might I suggest you start a sports team like another Lambo owner? Sitting around watching sports and drinking, hardly sounds like a healthy pastime. See if you can’t stir up some interest in participating in sport rather than watching and getting sloppy drunk.

2 posts removed. No need for unpleasantness between board members.

Forum rule 7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming)

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Don's figures are in the right ball-park, no doubt at all; as he has said, the large number of farangs you see around town (especially in the tourist season) doesn't relate to the number living and registered here. Don also has a huge wealth of business experience here; we are lucky to get it for free

free. On the specific topic of sports bars, the kind of tourists that come to CR are not mostly into sports bars, and there seems to be little interest among the long-term residents on this forum either.

My "theory" of how many expats live full time or part time in/around Chiang Rai is the "Big C" count.

I go to Big C maybe once a week for an hour or so. It seems to me that i nearly always see at least 4 or so older farangs there, most with a thai girlfriend/wife.

I suspect that very few tourists would be hanging out in Big C with a shopping cart full of groceries etc. so I conclude that the ones I see are mostly some type of resident.

SO....lets say Big C is open approx 14 hours per day 7 days a week....that is 98 hours....IF the average is 4 per hour that would be approx 700 farangs a week spotted shopping at Big C....

Obviously some might go more than once a week but also obviously some never go into the big C but shop elsewhere.....and certainly there are some days where you may well spot ten or more in an hour and some times/when it may be less.

Bottom line is i think there are at least 500-1000 farangs living full or part time in/around CR town.....I also think that a lot of them are not on retirement visas but may well be on non immg O or B or any number of other possible options especially for those who live here part time.

Feel free to pick apart my theory as it is only a theory or share your theory.

But please spare me the flames.

Well as a visitor to the Rai I can say yes , if I was in town and some live football was on i would likely pop in and watch it.

But there wasn't when I last visited anywhere I could find to do that.....and to be honest we didn't miss it.

I doubt there is the desire from people that visit CR to seek out a sports bar in particular after a day's travelling around sightseeing....frankly good food and maybe a couple of beers before an early night and more things to do in the daytime is what most tourists are after.

Local expats I can't say but i doubt they moved to the Rai to do that....and if they did they likely have it tuned in at home.

Think that you will find that most resident farangs go to Big C around 9:00 to miss the traffic. I see about 2 there when I go early. Not sure that you can say that the locals go there 14 hours per day. People are not interested in the aggravation of traffic and parking later on during the day. The same applies for Central Mall. Go there at 12:30 and it is impossible to park. You might see 1 farang in McDonalds. Not many of us around. Recently I met a Thai tour guide that told me that none of his tours remain overnight in the city. The population of Thais in Chiang Rai is rapidly increasing as seen by increase in traffic. They are in pursuit of a better quality of life. Near me in Doi Hang it seems like the asking price of quality land doubles every year. Not sure it is selling at these prices. Laundering of drug money has caused almost everything here to increase in price. Backfilling of land is the largest business in town running 24 hours per day. They are filling empty lots but buildings are not going up.

Archived