Are their any Sports Bars in CR?

ChaangNoi

Thanks for your honesty Don & Chiangnoi,

VF could you be a bit more specific, you've spent years on this forum honing your below-the-radar posts (actually I remember what this forum was like b4 u arrived). But I cannot remember any post of yours which decribes your contribution to CR, or for that matter T-L.

thanks in advance

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my experience, anything I say in Chiang Rai ends up like that parlor game where you tell a story to one person and ask them to relate the same exact story to the next person. By the time the story makes its way around the circle and gets back to the originator, it is completely unrecognizable. I continue to hear stories about me from people who don’t know me but have heard something from someone, who heard something.

If I say something good I will be accused of lying or boasting and if I avoid feeding the troll I will be hiding something horrible. In a no win situation I think I would rather not play. I'm pretty sure you can fabricate a much more interesting story since you seem to be so fixated on me.

Not really VF, but u do take yourself so seriously...

You take your literary endeavours even more seriously it seems...

so I guess u are already familiar with terms such as Solipsism and Narcissism, you may even have read Voltaire, I'm thinking specifically of Candide.

On balance you seem to be a nice guy, and the best thing I can say about you is that you've never displayed the racism that 90% of our compadres so readily do.

That's the good stuff, the bad stuff i won't go into...ok just a bit....

you like to position youself as a man of the world with so much time-served in TL, ok cool, no problem, just back it up with real observations and insights from your experience, which I do not ever remember seeing from you... It's like you've spent your time here in a waiting-room or something...

anyway g'nite all

Don , I love the way you bring it down to earth with your honesty and straight-talking experience. Sometimes I don't agree with you, but at least I know what it is I'm not agreeing with... if u get my drift.

I had always assumed you were pretty well off financially, but I have never doubted your wealth of experience. I know of 3 other farangs in CR who may have more inherited money in the bank , but have never done a day's work... and it shows.

More power to you sir.

You forgot about the "Trust Accounts" some Farangs have.

Thanks for your honesty Don & Chiangnoi,

VF could you be a bit more specific, you've spent years on this forum honing your below-the-radar posts (actually I remember what this forum was like b4 u arrived). But I cannot remember any post of yours which decribes your contribution to CR, or for that matter T-L.

thanks in advance

Well said . Are you a have or a have not . The have nots are not welcome here according to the one who thinks he owns this forum

My contributions have been mostly to help young people. In all the years my company offered free education on the weekends to all that want it. Many took advantage of it and went on to make a better life for themselves.

For many years in the industrial provinces I taught the right techniques for making steel with maximum efficiency and minimum cost.

I employed hundreds of Thais and always paid them a good wage. I have done what I could and still encourage young people to get educated.

I worked for many years trying to accumulate money thinking that is what is most important. Fortunately I worked in various hotel and travel companies in jobs that I also genuinely loved and I consider myself very lucky in that regard. Then the travel business changed and what used to be fun turned into into an endless stream of downsizing, cutbacks, etc. and suddenly it went from a positive to mostly negative. So I decided to retire early. Never inherited a penny from anyone .

Best thing I have done (maybe ever) is to do some volunteer teaching at local CR high school. Since I was never married and never had kids I had sort of missed the entire "kids experience". Now a couple of days a week I am around 1000 thai kids all full of energy, hope and potential. Most of them, like me, came from pretty poor backgrounds without a lot of parental guidance, mentors, etc.

My hope is that I might be able to help a few of them and serve as some sort of mentor that just maybe will give them the confidence and a bit of guidance that they can do whatever they put their mind to do.

For any of you that are bored I do encourage you to try doing a bit of volunteer work with the local schools. Yes I know you are supposed to have work permits to even volunteer etc but it's not something I spend a lot of time worrying about.

If nothing else I do think I have learned that money is only one part of life and while it is obviously a big part it will not automatically bring you as much happiness as the warm feeling you get from trying to help some poor kids discover that yes they can.

At 60 I am still looking forward and imagining what comes next. If I ever get old enough for nostalgia to set in, I will let you know.

As for this forum, I have always, and repeatedly, said there is room for everyone. Except for the guys who tried so loudly and desperately to get me removed, I have no idea who the exclusionists might be.
After all these years, you would think people could move on with there lives, but I guess not.

We have wandered a very long way from 'are there any sports bars in CR'. The demographics discussion was valid, but now posters have moved onto question members personal circumstances and a step way too far. Further steps that way will be removed and might result in topic closure.

Best you all start a new topic if not directly related to a sports bar, thank you.

Back on topic for the sack of getting back one topic...

In my research I found that the shelf life of an open beer keg was limited. However I could never get a good estimate on how long beer would last in normal Thai bar conditions.

Anyone know the life of something like beer Singha or Guinness?

All draft beers in Thailand have been pasteurized and are the same as in the bottles. Notice that they are not refrigerated while in storage. If your dispenser is refrigerated it should last at least 30 days or longer after opening. The C02 needs to be left on. In my Longhorn Saloon in Phuket the suppliers would not supply unless you consumed 5 kegs per month. Not sure about Chiang Rai but probably is the same policy.

Okay, I meant opened and not cooled.

I also found the min needing to be around 5 kegs a month when contacting dealers.

There is a Thai local who occasionally gets a keg of Guinness from somewhere and I'm wondering how long that would last. It is almost always gone in 3 or 4 hours so it is not going bad, but it is something no one seems to know. Or if they think they do the numbers are far apart. I have heard 3 to 4 days to 2-3 weeks.

Here's a thought. Maybe you should retain Mr. Battles, as a consultant. coffee1.gif

I could. If he wants to charge me to answer that question I'm sure we could work something out.

Today at central there were an insane amount of people and also farang. I saw many people who I knew and many I did not. If today was anything like the big-c day then I think my numbers would be high if used as an average. Why is everyone coming out this week?

It's been a very long Songkran, that's why I popped up to CR. And it's been a great New Year.

In larger cities you can't really be expected to nod to every farang face you see, unless you want to wind up in hospital with a neck brace. Maybe in CR you can nod to all the people who look like you ... but geeeez... why ?

And please don't say you nod to everyone you see, Thai and farang. In Central CR for example today there were several thousand people at any point in time , should one nod to all of them, or just the farang ones, or just the ones one would like to bed, it's a nutty proposition. Also I have some business partnerships in Central, so I don't feel like I'm surrounded by "hundreds of strangers", obviously others do.

No-one is trying to get anyone removed from the forum, after all the reality is that a good many have voted with their feet anyway; the question is ...why ? Seriously, the membership of this forum has gone down substantially in the last few years. In any forum there are people who spend a huge amount of time online, they end up behaving like they own the place, and usually cause a lot of damage to themselves and others. It's a well-established psychological problem which they can chose to recognise or not.

Anyway, I have had a great new year, I wish you all a great year ahead.

Ciao

Just back from Bangkok and Hua Hin. Within minutes I ran out of fingers and toes when trying to count farangs. No wonder people down there don’t care to be polite, you would end up with lockjaw or whiplash trying to acknowledge everyone. Looks like down south might be a better location for a sports bar than sleepy little Chiang Rai, but I didn’t manage to get an accurate count.

There really are farangs everywhere in Bangkok. There was even a farang guy sitting two rows down from me at a performance of the popular Thai musical, Homrong. Judging from his expression, or lack there of, he may have been happier in a sports bar.wink.png

• 1 month later...
Might I suggest you start a sports team like another Lambo owner? Sitting around watching sports and drinking, hardly sounds like a healthy pastime. See if you can’t stir up some interest in participating in sport rather than watching and getting sloppy drunk.

Better still, start a Rugby team. Then you can play some sport, and then go out afterwards and get "sloppy drunk".

And you can legitimately tell Best Beloved that both activities are central to the sport!

Archived