Can anyone recommend sweet wines available in Thailand

localexpat

hello

I am trying to get used to drinking wine

I find I only like sweet wines, dry wines seem too bitter

Problem is I find 95% of wines available in Thailand are dry and hence taste bitter

So far have found

Several kinds of port in Foodland, about 1000 Baht / Bottle

Mosaco wine available in Foodland and sometimes Tesco Lotus, about 400 Baht per Bottle

A kind of Thai wine wih a Bin 7 lable on, sweet and fruity, yellow color, in Big C about 350 Baht per bottle

There as some very cheap sparking wines available

Can anyone recommend any other sweet wines available in Thailand at shops in Bangkok or pub etc

Thanks in advance

Localexpat

Try some of the wines from Loei province. I visited friends there some years ago and discovered that they're way, way too sweet for me, so might be to your taste.

As to where to buy them outside Loei - no idea, but someone might.....

• Like 1

A few years back I made my own wine using Mangoes. Wine has been around for over 3,000 years. And one of the simplest drinks to make. Normally Wines are made in the mild temperate zones, like California, Italy, Germany

Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Chili, Portugal, South Africa, and Spain.

Any fruit can be used to make wine, but most of the citric fruits such as Oranges, Lemons, Limes, and grapefruit are too Ascetic for the yeast to do its magic. Here in Thailand, for the most part the temperature is way

up the scale for a slow natural fermentation. Heat is one of the destroyers of a good wine. Sun light is another. Thats why most good wines are in a deep green blue or brown bottles. There are many good wines imported to Thailand. And price does not necessarily mean quality. You will be surprised to learn many cheap brands of wine made in Thailand are of the Apple wines. Super Big C has a variety of Apple wines for around 250-450 baht. They are a sweet wine, but not dry. Makro is another good place to fined sweet wines.

On the road from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai, the most Northern point in Thailand, just befor you get in Mai Sai they sell sweet Thai fruit Wines in some stalls just on the road.....I bought a few just to taste,....but if you go to do a visa run there are cheaper just at the border. +/- 100 Thb....

Big C has "Monbazillac" 2010, a sweet white wine from France at about 790 baht.

The grape varieties used for Monbazillac are Semillon, Sauvignon Blanc and Muscadelle and rely upon the "noble rot" (Botrytis) mould to give the finished wine its sweetness.

Hello

Thanks for your comments, appreciated

I was interested in Daniels comment about making your own wine from Mangoes,there are lots of mangos in my garden

I had a look at the web and found a few reciepes, the easiest one being

Homemade Mango Wine Recipe / Manga Wine
Cooking time – 10 minutes
8148747950_92ce9d9f62_b.jpg
pinterestx1_72.png
Ready in 42 days
Yield –about 5 liters
Ingredients:
Ripe Mangoes / Manga – 1 kg
Sugar – 1 ¼ kg (or more depending upon the sweetness of mango)
Boiled cooled water – 4 liters
Yeast – ½ tbsp
Kalkandam / Rock Sugar – 250 gm
Some questions
Does anyone have a good recipe for making mango wine and does anyone know where I can get the ingredients from, particularily the Yeast in Thailand
Thanks

I was interested in Daniels comment about making your own wine from Mangoes,there are lots of mangos in my garden

Just be aware that what you are possibly contemplating is illegal in Thailand under Section 5 of the Liquors Act (1950); it is illegal for anyone to brew their own alcohol here, or to have brewing equipment.

Hello again

Good point regarding it is not allowed ot make wine here.

Oh, whilst I am here does anyone know anywhere I can buy yeast in Thailand to make some bread?, Bangkok preferably

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that yeast for bread making is rather different from that for brewing.

However, if you have trouble finding any, trying Googling "home brew thailand".