Please, Change Your Telephone Numbers

Limbo

For all mobile phones in Thailand:

From tomorrow on your number has to be expanded to 10 digits.

Your mobile phone will require an extra digit: an 8, that has to be placed after the first zero.

Thus new numbers will change as follows: an old number 01 2345678, will become 081 2345678, and 09 2345678 will become 089 2345678.

If you are called from outside Thailand you need to inform your contacts that they need to add this new 8 to their numbers, e.g. Old number 66 1 2345678, will become 66 81 2345678, and 66 9 2345678 will become 66 89 2345678.

Between 1 September and 30 November you can use either the old or the new number.

Limbo :o

PS: Landline (house phone) numbers will NOT change.

Do not forget to change your 'address book' numbers before 20 November.

NOOooo! What about all of us who paid extra to get a special/lucky phone number? (I think I spent about 4 hours looking for mine in MBK.) Are we gonna get a refund now that the 8 totally messes up the pattern?

yes i have talked about it with friends too and we all said " we are sorry for ppl who spent alot money for beautiful numbers..." yes u guys still have to put 8 after 0 like us...

but can i ask why ppl like to have a beautiful number? i dont think i can get more call or sms even if i change to the most beautiful number.. :o

NOOooo! What about all of us who paid extra to get a special/lucky phone number? (I think I spent about 4 hours looking for mine in MBK.) Are we gonna get a refund now that the 8 totally messes up the pattern?

8 special lucky number - make most beautiful number you have even more beautiful. :o

• 2 months later...

Still six days to go.

As known_user told us you can download a program from internet to change the numbers in your mobile telephone book (if you have AIS).

Does somebody know if True and DTAC have the same service (preferably in English)?

I am afraid it has to be done, the one way or the other :D

Limbo :o

PS: Last time there was a lot of activity in the AIS shop in Big C (right corner upstairs).

Could it be possible that they do it for you?

Edited by Limbo

I manually changed all my phonebooks cellular numbers to include the 8 as required. But now my spouse is telling me that I have to go to the AIS Dealership and have a new SIM placed into the phone for the new number to take effect for me.

I think not, but has anyone heard different?

take your phone into a dtac or ais shop and they will take your simcard , place it in a little gizmo and press a button , and 10 seconds later your sim card will have had all its thai numbers updated. it doesnt change international or landline numbers.

make sure your phone numbers are stored on the sim memory , not the phone memory.

and its free.

take your phone into a dtac or ais shop and they will take your simcard , place it in a little gizmo and press a button , and 10 seconds later your sim card will have had all its thai numbers updated. it doesnt change international or landline numbers.

make sure your phone numbers are stored on the sim memory , not the phone memory.

and its free.

Wrong information.

If your phone has an international code it's ok but if like me your phone has some important U.K numbers, without the international code don't go to a phone shop, do it manually.

Ok, now that we've changed our numbers to include "8" after the first "0" is there still one step missing? Do we have to let all our out-of-country friends know to change the numbers they use to call us?

Edited by Sojourner

• 2 weeks later...

> Anyone got any ideas?

Although the change is in place in Thailand - not all other countries in the world have put in place the "dial plan" changes to correctly route the call to the cell phone network in Thailand.

Try dialing the "old" number - I'm still able to get through on the old numbers this morning.