'Fast and Furious 7' showing suspended in Thailand until further notice

webfact

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Couldn't care less about this film or the actor. However, the Court completely messed this up by damaging all parties. They could have frozen all the revenues from the screening of the film until the claim was fully adjudicated. Instead, the Court is effectively stealing money away from all the parties, by depriving them of cinema screenings, while most people will watch the film on pirated DVDs. Absolute stupidity.

Agree. If the law is followed properly then this case would fail straight out of the box. They can claim to be an injured party and have a right to remedy, but they have no Standing or Jurisdiction to do it this way. The Company and their Actor have a contract, and is nothing to do with any other party. Lots of counter claims may follow, and only the men in suits will benefit.

Hang on... Why don't they ask General P to intervene? Micro management a speciality. If you refrain from asking pertinent and uncomfortable questions he might also re-write the script for them.

Lots of tactics and no strategy.

He is not the main star of this movie.. Also why wasnt this court case started years ago when he was actually acting for this role rather then a few weeks before it goes to cinemas.

The crazy figure they have come too apparently comes from all the advertising from every movie he has done.

Sent from my c64

Thai anger over Fast and Furious court ban

BANGKOK (AFP) - Thai fans of "The Fast and the Furious" reacted with anger Friday after a court banned the latest instalment of the blockbuster franchise following a contract dispute with a local actor.

"Fast and Furious 7" had been due to open in cinemas on April 1.

But it was blocked by a court injunction late Thursday after a movie studio filed a lawsuit saying local film star Tony Jaa was in breach of contract for appearing in the film.

Suwat Apaipakdi, a lawyer for Sahamongkol Film International, said the company had filed their suit because Jaa was committed to them in an exclusive contract until 2023.

"The court has ordered a ban on showing the movie until there is a further ruling", he told AFP.

He added that Sahamongkul Film International is seeking 1.6 billion baht ($49 million) damages from Jaa, film studio Universal Pictures and local distributor United International Pictures (UIP).

By Friday afternoon more than 20,000 people had joined a Facebook page calling for the court to lift the ban and bemoaning that legal wrangling had stopped fans from seeing the film.

"Don’t let a dispute between two people stop others across the country missing their beloved movie," wrote the page creator under the title "Thais need to watch Fast and Furious 7".

"I have been waiting for a long time. How could you do this?" wrote another Facebook user Nam Anone Diiz.

A local branch of UIP did not respond to AFP requests for comment while Jaa and Universal Pictures were both unavailable.

Jaa came from a poor background in Thailand’s impoverished northeast to become one of the country’s best known "Muay Thai" martial artists.

He plays a villain in the latest Fast and Furious title and has a scene fighting longterm franchise star Paul Walker.

Walker was himself killed in November 2013, having completed much of his part in filming the seventh instalment, when a car he was riding in with another man crashed and burst into flames.

The first "Fast and Furious" movie appeared in 2001. The series, with its focus on fast cars, tough guys, sexy starlets and exotic locales, is one of Hollywood’s most successful global franchises.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Thai-anger-over-Fast-and-Furious-court-ban-30256955.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-27

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

I'm going to boycott all Saha Mongkol Film movies for their trying to ban Fast&Furious.

Oh, wait a mo, I don't know any Saha Mongkol movies, and I don't watch the F&F franchise.

In that case, I retract my indignation and save it for some other topic.

I guess you don't watch any movies then. It's the biggest movie company in Thailand.

Shamongkol Film! <deleted> up because this is to do with Tony not universal pictures so they stop the film released in Thailand ... but what about other projects in the future they may have used Thailand as a location they say <deleted> this shit after what just happened and Shamongkol Film! can forget about releasing movies in the US because universal pictures will sue for lose of earning because they stop the film released in Thailand ... sometimes people don't think things through properly .

Not so fast: Court forbids Furious 7 release in Thailand

By Coconuts Bangkok

fast_furious.jpg

Photo: Universal Pictures

BANGKOK: -- Nowhere are people more excited to see Tony Jaa next week in Fast & Furious 7 than here in Thailand, except now they won't be able to.

The Civil Court has barred the movie from being shown due to ongoing litigation by Sahamongkol Film International against Tony for allegedly breaking his contract with the Thai cinema juggernaut to take the role in Hollywood. His contract is valid until 2023.

In 2013, Sahamongkol Film went to court to demand THB1.6 billion compensation and 7.5 percent interest from the action star and requested the court to block the release of movie when it opens next week.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/03/27/not-so-fast-court-forbids-furious-7-release-thailand

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-03-27

2023 ? Who signs a contract for that long and when did he sign ?

1.6 billion compensation. Compensation for what exactly? Surely no Thai movie would ever make that sort of money. Sounds like an opertunist grab for cash. Universal pictures have bigger and more powerful an army of lawyers than a little Thai production company could afford but they do have the trump card. It will be heard in Thailand by a Thai judge so I guess universal are screwed and about to be Thai owned.

Fortunately for Universal it does not matter much to them what a Thai court orders, as they are not a Thai company. The only damage a Thai court can do to Universal is block all future Universal movies from being shown in Thailand, but I doubt the Thai theaters such as Major and FX and the Thai audience will accept that.

Further, this seems to be an issue between the actor and the Thai movie company. I am not sure how Universal can be held responsible for anything, as they have not made any contracts with the Thai movie company (as far as I know).

I would not be surprised if Universal sues the Thai movie company for loss of earnings due to the movie not being shown in Thailand.