Mae Sai / Tachilek Crossing

Gonzo the Face

Hopefully some of you up closer to the border, may be more familiar with Immigration procedure at Mae Sai, than I

Does any one know why a Burmese [Myanmar] National with a valid and current passport issued in Yangon less than 1 year ago; a current and valid Thailand non Imm B , triple entry visa , cannot get stamped out at Mae Sai Immigration and enter Mynamar, and return just like many ex pats are doing from Thailand each and every day?

I really would be interested in any insight.

Thanks

gonzo

Hopefully some of you up closer to the border, may be more familiar with Immigration procedure at Mae Sai, than I

Does any one know why a Burmese [Myanmar] National with a valid and current passport issued in Yangon less than 1 year ago; a current and valid Thailand non Imm B , triple entry visa , cannot get stamped out at Mae Sai Immigration and enter Mynamar, and return just like many ex pats are doing from Thailand each and every day?

I really would be interested in any insight.

Thanks

gonzo

Could be a couple of reasons and gotta take into account ....

Burma is ruled by one of the most brutal military dictatorships in the world; a dictatorship charged by the United Nations with a “crime against humanity” for its systematic abuses of human rights, and condemned internationally for refusing to transfer power to the legally elected Government of the country – the party led by Nobel Peace Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.. :o

However with regards your friend (assume)..

1..Maybe they Dont want him/her to leave..

2..Maybe they have "issue" with his/her passport...little stamp inside says summit?

3..Not Authorised to Depart via the Mae Sai border crossing..

4..Sturbannfurhers on the border simply cant find the Bl**dy EXIT stamp...some sod nicked it..... :D

5..other reasons??

Last time I tried to walk over the old wooden bridge (about 15 years ago)LOS was having a 2 Do with the Burmese and although they were letting local traders in..back /forward they had shut the place to nasty foreigners..but I had a go anyway....

Couple of "nice" guys with their wee guns suggested that I....NOT GO and common sense dictated that maybe the bar in the border hotel on the Thai side was more "toorist" friendly......."appy days... :D

The real reason is that a Burmese national can only return to the country from the same port of entry in which they left. So if your friendis stamped out in Tachilek, they can return there, but not in Tak or Yangoon. This is the stupid policy of the Junta. I know this because a burmese student was studying here and wanted to return home, which was near Chiang Tung, but she flew to Bangkok from Yangoon. So she must return there before she can travel up to Shan state. Really silly. For more information on Burma and what's happening currently go to:

http://www.burmanet.org/news/

or

or do a search.

CRG

Edited by Chiang Rai Guy

The real reason is that a Burmese national can only return to the country from the same port of entry in which they left. So if your friendis stamped out in Tachilek, they can return there, but not in Tak or Yangoon. This is the stupid policy of the Junta. I know this because a burmese student was studying here and wanted to return home, which was near Chiang Tung, but she flew to Bangkok from Yangoon. So she must return there before she can travel up to Shan state. Really silly. For more information on Burma and what's happening currently go to:

http://www.burmanet.org/news/

or

or do a search.

CRG

Sorry for the delay in saying Thanks for that.......had some other minor problems down here.

Very interested and I will look into it

Gonzo

Been through a few other countries that are so paranoid that they insist that you go out the same way that you came in.

Last time was in V-N (but told it may have changed)whereby because I didnt request a multi exit area visa..not offered.. I could only enter/exit from one location...TSN -HCH although I was working in Hanoi @ 1000kms north.Got one on my later trip back to Bangkok.

Burmanet/Irrawaddy.... very good read with lots of interesting indept news...thanks... :o