Online 90 day reporting available from April 1st

5 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

I'm a little nervous this time because it seems the US embassy is no longer handling this directly and the passport must be mailed overseas, meaning I would be without a passport during the week or two processing time. Does anyone have any insight or experience with those issues? I apologize in advance if I'm asking this in the wrong forum. Thanks!

The US embassy has not produced passports for many years now. You submit the application to the embassy and they send the application electronically to the states.

You apply for your new passport by mail now and they keep the old one until your new one is received then they mail it back to you along with new one.

Info is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

Many people have applied by mail and were without their passport and had no problems. Just make a copy of your passport to show if needed and maybe proof you did the application to the embassy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

My next question regards a passport which will expire in March next year and my next extension of stay which I will do in early May. The officer said that it would only be valid as long as the passport remains good so I would need to redo after 9 months it or order the new passport first and change over the stamps into the new passport (said it could be done at the same time as visa extension). I'm a little nervous this time because it seems the US embassy is no longer handling this directly and the passport must be mailed overseas, meaning I would be without a passport during the week or two processing time. Does anyone have any insight or experience with those issues? I apologize in advance if I'm asking this in the wrong forum. Thanks!

Renewing an adult passport through US Embassy Bangkok is done entirely by mail.  You mail them your passport and application forms and include payment for return Thai Post EMS.  The instructions at https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/ are very good and very explicit.

As of a few yeas ago, all US passport are produce only in the US.  You mail your passport using Thai Post EMS to US Embassy Bangkok, they check your application and electronically transmit the necessary data to the US, your passport is produced in the US, it is sent back to US Embassy Bangkok (whether by diplomatic pouch or commercial courier I don't know), and US Embassy Bangkok posts it to your Thailand address via Thai Post EMS.  The process takes approximately two (2) weeks.  In my opinion, the service is excellent.

Before your send your passport off to US Embassy Bangkok, make paper copies of at least the photo ID page and any stamps relating to your current entry into Thailand (last visa stamp, current extension of stay stamp, latest arrival stamp in Thailand).  Take photos with your phone of the same pages of your passport.  Remove from your passport any stapled documents (TM-30, 90-Day Report receipt/next appointment, TM-6 Departure Card, etc.) and keep in a safe place.

If asked to show your passport during the 2 weeks it is out of your possession, explain you have sent it to US Embassy Bangkok for renewal and if necessary they can contact them and receive confirmation that they have your passport.  

Do things that require your passport while you still have it.  For example, do any near term 90-Day reports (you can do up to 14 days before due date), do any banking counter transactions that require you to show your passport.  Postpone any traveling until you get your passport back.  Two weeks is not a long time to be without your passport.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

I'm a little nervous this time because it seems the US embassy is no longer handling this directly and the passport must be mailed overseas, meaning I would be without a passport during the week or two processing time. Does anyone have any insight or experience with those issues? I apologize in advance if I'm asking this in the wrong forum. Thanks!

Oops sorry - did not see skatewash reply above which answers your question before posting below.  

My reading is if you do not want to be without passport just do as normal and make appointment at Embassy  - all passports are made to order in USA after application for last decade so there will be a 10 day  to 2 week delay before Embassy gets returned for issue.  But the mail option allows you to do from home so no need to visit embassy.  Most of us can easily be without original passport for several weeks as long as have copy.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

My reading is if you do not want to be without passport just do as normal and make appointment at Embassy  - all passports are made to order in USA after application for last decade so there will be a 10 day  to 2 week delay before Embassy gets returned for issue.  But the mail option allows you to do from home so no need to visit embassy.  Most of us can easily be without original passport for several weeks as long as have copy.  

If you are doing an adult renewal of passport (DS-82) it really needs to be done by mail.  If you are doing DS-11 then you can get an appointment, but if you are doing a DS-82 you cannot.  That is my reading of the situation:

Update 9/10/2020: The ACS units in Bangkok and Chiang Mai are accepting mail-in DS-82 adult passport renewal applications, and are now open for in person appointments for notary services, Certificate of Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) services, and passport services for individuals who are required to submit a DS-11 passport application (minor applicants, first-time adult, first application after a lost/stolen passport).

As you say 2 weeks is not a lot of time to wait without your passport.  

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

• Thanks 1

Many thanks to UbonJoe, Skatewash and LopBuri3 for their replies. Yes, I was aware the passports aren't printed in Thailand and when I got my last passport 9 years ago the requirement was to apply in person, then the passport application + old passport were sent to the US and I went back 2 weeks later and pick it up. 

I see now they are promoting the mail in option. I was mistaken earlier because I thought for some reason that I had to mail the application overseas and wait for the new passport to arrive. Now I see that the transaction is with the US Embassy on Wireless Road. It's less than a mile or two away from my residence and even closer to the post office, so sending by registered mail should suffice. I see now they even have an option to pay online in advance for Thailand residents. Great! 

Also noted the advice about making copies, photos of passport details including entry stamp and latest visa extension in lieu of passport. Two weeks or so seems like no problem to wait for the new passport to arrive.

My remaining issue is timing. I was told at MTT that the visa extension is only good for the duration of the passport. So if I go in May to make the extension deadline, the new date will only extend to March 2023 instead of early June as now. Also, I think the passport becomes pretty much useless to travel internationally 6 months prior to expiration (not sure about domestic travel), So I'm guessing it would be best to renew a few weeks before I normally go and get the extension and then get the new passport transfer stamped at the same time I get the new non immigrant O extension. Although I wouldn't want to cut the timing too close. Is there any advantage to doing the passport renewal right away and making an extra trip to CW for the transfer stamp or will the canceled old passport invalidate my current visa and if so, how many days do I have from receiving the new passport to report this to immigration. (I may also be planning domestic travel around end of March / Songrkan period which could further complicate the schedule).

Anyone with relevant experience / advice, kindly respond. Thanks very much!

Edited by Scooby Snacks
typos

12 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

9 years ago the requirement was to apply in person, then the passport application + old passport were sent to the US

Are you sure?  4 years ago they took your passport at office on Wireless Road and scanned to USA and took application form/fee but returned old passport same visit.  You were never without a passport.

Yes if you plan any travel better to get new passport now as not having six month validity could be an issue.  

39 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

Many thanks to UbonJoe, Skatewash and LopBuri3 for their replies. Yes, I was aware the passports aren't printed in Thailand and when I got my last passport 9 years ago the requirement was to apply in person, then the passport application + old passport were sent to the US and I went back 2 weeks later and pick it up. 

I see now they are promoting the mail in option. I was mistaken earlier because I thought for some reason that I had to mail the application overseas and wait for the new passport to arrive. Now I see that the transaction is with the US Embassy on Wireless Road. It's less than a mile or two away from my residence and even closer to the post office, so sending by registered mail should suffice. I see now they even have an option to pay online in advance for Thailand residents. Great! 

Also noted the advice about making copies, photos of passport details including entry stamp and latest visa extension in lieu of passport. Two weeks or so seems like no problem to wait for the new passport to arrive.

My remaining issue is timing. I was told at MTT that the visa extension is only good for the duration of the passport. So if I go in May to make the extension deadline, the new date will only extend to March 2023 instead of early June as now. Also, I think the passport becomes pretty much useless to travel internationally 6 months prior to expiration (not sure about domestic travel), So I'm guessing it would be best to renew a few weeks before I normally go and get the extension and then get the new passport transfer stamped at the same time I get the new non immigrant O extension. Although I wouldn't want to cut the timing too close. Is there any advantage to doing the passport renewal right away and making an extra trip to CW for the transfer stamp or will the canceled old passport invalidate my current visa and if so, how many days do I have from receiving the new passport to report this to immigration. (I may also be planning domestic travel around end of March / Songrkan period which could further complicate the schedule).

I would get it done now.  Don't see an advantage to waiting.  In the unlikely event you are asked for your passport in the 2 weeks it takes to get a new one, you have your paper copies and photos on your phone.  That should really suffice.  If not, contact US Embassy Bangkok and they will confirm that they have received your passport and that renewal is in progress.

As to whether you want to transfer stamps in one trip and then do your extension of stay in another trip, I guess it depends very much on your immigration office.  In Phuket, I dropped my passport off for the transfer of stamps.  Was told to come back in a 3 hours.  Picked it up as scheduled.  For extension of stay, I submit application one day and pick up the passport with extension (and usually new 90-day report) the next day at the immigration office.  Not sure about how this all works in Bangkok, whether it's better to do in two trips or just one trip.

27 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Are you sure?  4 years ago they took your passport at office on Wireless Road and scanned to USA and took application form/fee but returned old passport same visit.  You were never without a passport.

Yes if you plan any travel better to get new passport now as not having six month validity could be an issue.  

Things have changed at US Embassy Bangkok helped along by covid.  Adult renewal of passport occurs entirely by mail now.  They will only schedule an appointment to apply in person if the passport you are trying to get/renew requires that.  Adult passport renewal does not require that and I don't believe they will do that for your convenience.

I renewed a few months ago and all was done by mail, Thai Post EMS.  I received my new passport and my old passport in two weeks by mail.  The old passport cover and photo ID page were hole-punched to invalidate.  Also, received the letter from US Embassy Bangkok asking Thai Immigration to assist me in getting the stamps transferred.

50 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

A comment about the online payment.  While true and a nice feature it does not cover getting a passport card (only the passport book).  Also, you still had to get a bank draft to cover the postage.  So a step in the right direction, but you still end up getting a bank draft to pay for some parts of the process, like postage.  They provide very explicit instructions in English and Thai about how to get the bank draft, it was not a problem.  This information is as of a few months ago.

Regarding, when you have to get your stamps transferred.  As far as I know there is no requirement that it be done in so many days after getting your new passport.  I would certainly want to get it done as soon as reasonably possible especially if I were traveling, because once done, you can get by with just one passport (the new one) instead of carrying two.  Note that only extensions of stay are actually transferred to the new book, unexpired visas cannot be transferred from old to new passport so if you have one of those you expect to use you would need to carry both passports.

On second thought, I think back then I gave them my passport at the embassy and received the new one and the old punched and invalidated one back by mail. (Not sure what they did with it exactly at the embassy but I think it went out in diplomatic pouch).

Having checked the website again, a quick question for the fellow that just had his passport renewed; Can you confirm there is no need to provide a prepaid envelope to the embassy? It says this will not be accepted in Thailand so I guess it means they just need my current address in Bangkok and then they will post back to me?

My current thinking is to send in two months before the visa extension expires. (I think I can go anytime up to 45 days before the extension deadline, so I will receive the new passport within that window and get the stamp transfer and extension of stay done on the same trip. Just have to factor in Songkran holiday which could add up to a week to the turnaround time for the new passport.

I know when I changed from a business to a retirement visa several years ago, they gave me only 7 days to transfer the stamp and apply for the new visa. Is anything like that in play that might affect the smooth transfer described above. Just thought I would ask because I never take anything for granted with this stuff....

6 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

On second thought, I think back then I gave them my passport at the embassy and received the new one and the old punched and invalidated one back by mail. (Not sure what they did with it exactly at the embassy but I think it went out in diplomatic pouch).

Having checked the website again, a quick question for the fellow that just had his passport renewed; Can you confirm there is no need to provide a prepaid envelope to the embassy? It says this will not be accepted in Thailand so I guess it means they just need my current address in Bangkok and then they will post back to me?

My current thinking is to send in two months before the visa extension expires. (I think I can go anytime up to 45 days before the extension deadline, so I will receive the new passport within that window and get the stamp transfer and extension of stay done on the same trip. Just have to factor in Songkran holiday which could add up to a week to the turnaround time for the new passport.

I know when I changed from a business to a retirement visa several years ago, they gave me only 7 days to transfer the stamp and apply for the new visa. Is anything like that in play that might affect the smooth transfer described above. Just thought I would ask because I never take anything for granted with this stuff....

The directions are very detailed and very exacting at the US Embassy Bangkok site, a very different experience than dealing with Thai Immigration. ????

You need to get a bank draft to pay for the postage associated with the return of your passports (old and new) by mail.  Instructions to do that are very detailed.  So, no you don't provide your own envelope to be returned.  Yes, aside from paying for the postage, you only need give them your address where you wish to receive your passports.  In my case, the passports came together by mail, but the passport card was delivered subsequently (not an issue if you don't get one of these).

The best possible advice is here from the horse's mouth:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

I was not made aware of any time limit during which the stamps had to be transferred from old to new passport.  I did it a matter of days after receiving my passports back.  I think you could postpone it without problem until you needed to do your extension of stay.  However, I don't use Bangkok Immigration offices and therefore don't know if it's better to do in two trips or in one trip.  In Phuket it was better to do in two trips, but then going to immigration in Phuket is easy for me.  I understand Bangkok may be different.

12 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

As far as I know they have never sent you old passport to the states. The send the application to the national passport center electroncil and the the new one is sent to the embassy.

When applied for my new passport in 2013 the gave me back my passport and when I returned to pick up my new passport they punched hole in it and stamped as cancelled.

18 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

I know when I changed from a business to a retirement visa several years ago, they gave me only 7 days to transfer the stamp and apply for the new visa. Is anything like that in play that might affect the smooth transfer described above.

You can have the stamp transferred at any time you want to if you do not mind having to use both passports to do something or asked for it. Never heard of an office wanting the stamp transfer done within 7 days.

• Like 2

JUST COMPLETED ONLINE 90 DAY UPDATE...SUCCESSFUL???

I just competed the online 90 day reporting very smoothly which was a huge surprise, and it showed a PDF of the completed application, and I received an email stating that "We have received your information successfully"

HOWEVER, when I check "status page" it says PENDING.

Can I assume this will be updated in a few days along with the official receipt of notification (that you're supposed to staple into your passport) that has the next reporting date?

Sorry if this has already been addressed in this thread but with over 200 pages and no FAQ stickies I could find, and a search engine that never seems to work, I hope you will. forgive me for asking this question.

I have to say that the new 90 Day reporting page is pretty slick!  Big improvement over the old one for sure!  ????

Thanks in advance

Wavehunter

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

JUST COMPLETED ONLINE 90 DAY UPDATE...SUCCESSFUL???

I just competed the online 90 day reporting very smoothly which was a huge surprise, and it showed a PDF of the completed application, and I received an email stating that "We have received your information successfully"

HOWEVER, when I check "status page" it says PENDING.

Can I assume this will be updated in a few days along with the official receipt of notification (that you're supposed to staple into your passport) that has the next reporting date?

Sorry if this has already been addressed in this thread but with over 200 pages and no FAQ stickies I could find, and a search engine that never seems to work, I hope you will. forgive me for asking this question.

I have to say that the new 90 Day reporting page is pretty slick!  Big improvement over the old one for sure!  ????

Thanks in advance

Wavehunter

That means they have received your application , now you must wait to see if you get approved.

That will come in a seperate e mail.

Edited by NE1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:59 AM, ubonjoe said:

I just did a post about my experience in doing a report in the now pinned topic about the new online reporting site.

Please continue the discussion in that topic or this out of date topic will be closed.

Since people keep digging up this old topic it is now :mfr_closed1:

Please post in the new topic.