BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Thaivisa News

Spanish tourist killed in fall from waterfall

Chiang Mai:- A Spanish tourist was fatally injured when he fell from a popular waterfall in Chiang Mai Thursday, police said.

Pol Capt Natthawat Khuenkaew, an officer on duty of Chang Phuek police station in Chiang Mai, said rescuers could not reach Carlos Gabriel, 28, in time to save him .

Natthawat said Gabriel slipped and fell from the third platform of the Monthathan Waterfall in Doi Inthanon National Park while he was stepping on the edge to take photos of the falling water. Park officials said several accidents have happened at the spot.

Natthawat said he and rescuers rushed to the scene with ropes and rock climbing gears as well as a rescue stretcher.

The waterfall is about one kilometer deep in a forest and is part of a high cliff. The part of the cliff is made of sharp and complicated layers of rock, making it hard for rescuers to climb to the spot where Gabriel was trapped.

Natthawat said when rescuers reached him, Gabriel had already died of severe injuries. The rescuers took more than an hour to bring his body down.

His girlfriend told police that the two visited the waterfall and climbed to the third platform. Then, Gabriel stepped to the edge to try to have a good view of the waterfall and take its photos.

However, the rock was slippery so he fell down and was washed downstream until he was trapped on the second platform of the waterfall. The girlfriend then called for help from park officials.

His body was sent for an autopsy at the Maharaj Chiang Mai Hospital.

Natthawat said Gabriel slipped and fell from the third platform of the Monthathan Waterfall in Doi Inthanon National Park

It would take the police from Chang Puek nick about 2 hours plus to get to Dio Inthanon and Montatathan waterfall in half way up Doi Suthep!!

As usual, bang on reportingwink.png

• Like 2

This waterfall is in Doi Suthep NP, not Doi Inthanon. RIP Carlos.

Park officials said several accidents have happened at the spot....

...and have done nothing about it.....

On the same day, I took my wife and her friend to Mae Yah waterfalls. My wife's friend (Isaan girls) went to wade up to the falls (we were at the bottom), and posed for pictures. She started to climb, and I was very upset...yelling at her to get down. That was pretty close to being the second waterfall tradgedy of the day. When we got home, I showed her the news article, and she went white. (Isaan Girl).

My heart goes out to the girlfriend of the spanish man. He took a huge risk...for a photo.

I know someone who died in a similar fall at the same spot a few years ago. The park officials did a really good job handling the incident and with the family when they came. The head of the park himself came along and hiked up to the falls, about an hour up from the parking lot. I was along to translate. So, yes, it can be a dangerous place, but actually there are warning signs posted, and tourists have to use some common sense.

Common sense.........the least common of the senses Puwa.

• Like 1