23 Banks Bombed In South Thailand

george

To those who cry "Muslim" every time a small group of extremist separatists take extreme actions in bombing, booby-trapping, shooting in the south of Thailand....let me ask you this:

why don't you also cry "Hindu" every time the Tamil Tigers take similar actions?

why don't you also cry "Buddhist" when the Sinhalese government kills 17 tsunami aid workers or the Thai army kills 70+ southern thai men by suffocation in an army truck/

why don't you cry "Jew" everytime Israelis invade Palestine or Lebanon

why don't you cry "Christian" when George Bush & his witless coalition invade Irag, Afghanistan and re-colonise the world via FTA's?

spot on fruittbat

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and for the bigots ...... please leave it off of ThaiVisa. I am sure there are other places you can make anti-Muslim rants and be cool ....

I am certainly no bigot. And I will never be silenced when a specific group keeps terrorizing and murdering innocent Thai people--and that group just happens to be a group of Islamic terrorists in the south.

So play whatever card you wish--a race card, whatever it might be. You will not destort the truth and you will never shut me up or keep me from spotlighting the truth.

Hang on a minute. You're not a bigot but....

Specific groups murdering Thais? When in the history of Thailand where more people killed than by Thaksin’s “war on drugs” 2000+ people lost there lives (That’s the stuff we hear about)

Thaksin controls all the media. The richest man in the land.

Some people seem to want to take any opportunity to bash Muslims.

I wouldn't want to mess with your "freedom of speech" but keep things in perspective.

Edited by Pui

Sources from security agencies said they have received a tip-off that the militants would launch coordinated attacks in a few days but they expected the attacks would be carried out on Friday.

Doesn't this just sum up the way Thai authorities are handling this problem :o ...........a day early, sneaky little buggers aren't they. Why don't they just drive around town untill they get caught as they do in Bangers :D:D:D

It seems that these bombings may have been targeted- yet again- against the army.

fruittbatt, I think you have been eating the wrong kind of fruit!

Multiple banks, including islamic banks, both inside and at atms. Once again this is the random terror tactic that is used by islamic fundamentalists to instill general fear.

I suppose if they targeted the markets you would suggest that it is the army wives shopping day.

To those who cry "Muslim" every time a small group of extremist separatists take extreme actions in bombing, booby-trapping, shooting in the south of Thailand....let me ask you this:

why don't you also cry "Hindu" every time the Tamil Tigers take similar actions?

Not supported by a world wide movement and it stays within its countries own boundaries, no tears spilt here.

why don't you also cry "Buddhist" when the Sinhalese government kills 17 tsunami aid workers or the Thai army kills 70+ southern thai men by suffocation in an army truck/

Sinhalese what? Educate me

Yeah a country that is constantly under threat and picked at by one suicide bomber or lobed in missile at a time, but the Arab/UN world turns a blind eye. When they finally have had enough and go after their enemies, who are supported by the bordering countries with a hate filled agenda towards their demise, people are all up in arms, but no one ever gives a dam if a suicide bomber kills a bus load of Jews. But, my God the outcry is unbelievable when the Jewish nation finally strikes back in a hard way.

why don't you cry "Christian" when George Bush & his witless coalition invade Irag, Afghanistan and re-colonise the world via FTA's?

Instead of the word Christian, why don't you try why don't we cry Non denominational

or Just scream those Americans, as it is the ugly seed of democracy we are planting in worlds run by tyrannical dictators, oh but that is B.S. as we all know the Arab world is a democracy and all are free to do as they please, pray to any God they want with no retribution from their government or neighbors?

It is a sad fact of life that Thailand will probably experience more and more problems as the Islamic nation pushes its agenda and uses the peaceful Thai muslim (peacful Muslim :o ) as their puppets to do their bidding.

Have ANY of you people been to Yala, Songkla or Naritiwat?

If those saying just let them have it they'll fail <etc etc etc> have been there then you'd know better!

The infrastructure is there. There are major cities! Plenty of labor! Great natural resources!

Barry ... you really should go down to the Far South of Thailand some time!

The infrastructure is there now, but how long would their independent state be able to maintain it? The infrastructure was there on the Zimbabwe farms too, but how long did it take for that to fall apart. I very much doubt that a tiny independent state could survive without massive help from the ouside world. Unless they had huge gas or oil reserves, I suppose.

Ultimately, with this sort of 'terrorist' 'freedom fighter' type of violence all sides involved will need to put down their arms and talk.

In talking, both sides will need to compromise on their goals. It seems, for now at least, that this solution is likely to take a very long time to resolve itself.

As for the people creating this violence, there must be sufficient supporters within the local community to allow them to carry out these illegal acts; unless, of course, these 'supporters' are scared witless and fearful for their own futures!

Laulen :o

spot on fruittbat

spot on? what do all of the above have in common? nothing!

ummm..... it was the original article in the nation that said "muslim militants". are they wrong? and if so, does that mean that the religion of islam has had nothing at all to do with any of the violence in the south? is that what you are saying?

...although, to be fair, it must be said that the tamil tigers (hindu) are widely acknowledged as being the inventors of suicide bombing as we know it. muslim terror groups have merely, erm, perfected it (insert sarcasm here :-). and the IRA (catholic) did more than their share of bombing back in the day...

Folks, we've got around 600 people reading this topic now, with one to four moderators on duty here, so anti-Muslim rants will be omitted as quickly as you could write "The Jews killed Christs" or "Kill all the Christians."

I am sorry you ahve censored my reply.

it was not anti muslim as it was anti Muslim fanatics who are using islam as a reason to kill.

why is it so wrong to ask the mulsims around the worls to condem this violence and condem those who do so in the name of Islam?

please moderate more carefully.

I think the answer for "What do they hope to accomplish" is that terrorism has, for better or worse, worked effectively to effect change. The terrorists can go the distance to achieve their goals, and eventually the targeted countries will have to take notice and deal with them beyond a knee-jerk response. Think back to the Munich Olympics, when the PLO was simply a small band of terrorists. They've achieved much that they sought to do by employing terrorism.

Look at the world as we know it since the attacks on the World Trade Centers. We have been forced to change our way of living BECAUSE of the attacks. That in itself is what the terrorist groups want to achieve. They want to be noticed. They want their opinions to be reckoned with.

Historically, the warning signs that lead down the path to terrorism are ignored for so long that the aggrieved parties feel they have no choice. And the immediate response to violence is more violence. It works great at avenging the attack but does nothing to solve the underlying problems. By this time, the hatred is so intense that it's nearly impossible to work towards a lasting peace.

The fact that we, as the general public, DON'T know what they want is of significance. If there had been serious diplomatic discussions with the Islamic leaders in the South, I think the media would cover it, albeit not as exciting as terrorism. From what I've read, the only response from the Thaksin governement (and his predecessors) has been a "We're going to get tough" approach. Well, that certainly seems to be working. It's never worked before, but maybe it will work this time. The triumph of hope over experience (like third and fourth marriages).

I don't have any answers -- just an interested observer. But I'm not surprised today when any aggrieved party takes this route.

I have had two posts removed today so I will to get to the point and stay on topic. Zoom out and quit getting lost in the detail. There are billions spent every day to insure the Muslim is painted as the bad guy on the world stage. It used to be the communists. There are many with big bucks who go to work each day in support of demonizing the Muslim. When you fall for this standard stuff, it reinforces the guys and girls who do it. Who benefits from the bombings which are blamed on Muslims? Certainly not the Muslims themselves. They may pull the trigger and over time are groomed to the point that they actually believe in what they are doing but they can't begin to afford this level of activity.

The example I use most often is the motorbike bomb. I am assuming all who read this are familiar with the spending habits and general economic conditions of the average rural Thai. How many would buy a Motorbike only to blow it to peices in a politcal move. I don't know any. There may be a few but I would argue there aren't many. I will add that if I found a young Thai Muslim and groomed him, by giviing him money and filling his brain with hate, could convince him to do just about anything. But, I doubt that I could convince him to blow up his new motorbike. I could however buy him a second motorbike of his choosing. The second bike is no big deal for me, I have money to burn. I am disturbed by those that think these kids are buying explosives, casio watches(not copies), cell phones, sim cards, motor bikes, etc..... with their own money to use for political reasons. Simply doesn't fit the sterotypical Thai at all There may be a few, but not many.

I am sure that most muslims dont identify their religion with such groups and terrorist activities. However I do suspect that in many of these predominantly Muslim areas that people are more scared of the terrorists than they are of the Police. The IRA in Northern Ireland is a close analagy - they claimed to be good catholics and yet were happy to murder people (including their own who move out of line!) in order to achieve a political goal and to maintain control. There are however some differences - the Muslim culture (as I understand it) much more closely ties government to religion - in that many muslims see the model of a state run by clerics as the ideal one. This is little different really to the position of the Catholic and Orthadox churches in the middle ages - and even the Church of england has the monarch at its head (albeit that now the monarchy has few powers). In my experience few religions are truly tolerant of one another - a strong belief in your own faith as the "true religion" demands by default that you see others as heretics.

However the power to change things lies in the hands of governments around the world - particularly those in the western hemisphere but to some exted including emerging countries in the East. On a global scale we have the ability and resources to eradicate poverty but our inherrant selfishness and greed prevents this happening. Before anyone starts to blame governments stop to remember who elects most governments - it is us the people. How many people in the UK would vote for a government who said that it intended reducing their citizens wealth by about 50% in order raise the standard of living in less advantaged areas of the world!

There will always be a small number of people hel_l bent on introducing their own version of what is right but they like every army need "cannon fodder" - in this case young dissaffected people who are prepared to risk or even deliberately give up, their lives by planting or carrying bombs. If these people had a decent living and were concerned with their families and their own future they would not be so easily dragged into all this.

This kind of poverty exists in Thailand too - we can never have a peaceful world while one family drive around Bangkok in a top of the range mercedes while others have to ride three on a motorcycle if they are lucky! Does the managing director of a company really work that much harder than a labourer in the fields? Sadly I dont see a solution because so many of us are driven by human nature and the survival insinct - but to have this you do need something worth surviving for! The young people who strap bombs to themselves usually have nothing to live for other than the hope of a better life in martyrdom!

In a sense we have created them and it will take several generations to undo - even if we make a start now.

spot on? what do all of the above have in common? nothing!

My point is that the word "Muslim" is bandied around by media and unthinking posters to this topic alike as a way to demonise Islam and identify that particular religion exclusively with terrorism. Yet "terrorists " are to be found in all religions. Get it now?

ummm..... it was the original article in the nation that said "muslim militants". are they wrong?

see above

and if so, does that mean that the religion of islam has had nothing at all to do with any of the violence in the south? is that what you are saying?

Yes, the militants in this case were almost certainly Muslim. The terrorists in Sri Lanka are Hindus but are never referred to in the media as such ....neither are any of those "terrorists" who represent religions other than Islam. You might like to consider why this is

Let em have the country. Let all these "moderate" Muslims we hear about cope with a raging radical Islamic Regime. Let them turn on PULO when they fail to deliver anything other than amputations, poverty, endless robotic rote learning of religion etc.

It will go the way of East Timor and Zimbabwe. It's not worth keeping and its time they (The Muslims) sorted themselves out.

Folks, we've got around 600 people reading this topic now, with one to four moderators on duty here, so anti-Muslim rants will be omitted as quickly as you could write "The Jews killed Christs" or "Kill all the Christians."

I am sorry you ahve censored my reply.

it was not anti muslim as it was anti Muslim fanatics who are using islam as a reason to kill.

why is it so wrong to ask the mulsims around the worls to condem this violence and condem those who do so in the name of Islam?

please moderate more carefully.

It wasn't me, mate. 13 posts have already been deleted from this new topic, and I only deleted one by newnews and another by the poster's request.

Don't be surprised if all these off-topic posts about "who invented the telephone and www" disappear, as well.

23 Yala banks hit by bomb blasts

Sounds like Canada in the 1960's.

What happened in the end? Two votes for Quebec independence and no more bombs.

(The last vote; 49% for independence, 51% remain in Canada.)

Another vote is on the horizon.

As long as the army classifies dissidents as monkeys and hunts them down, it will continue.

Something to think about:

When the USA goes down, as it surely will, Thailand and the Phillipenes go with it.

Unless there is a realistic "Made in Thailand" policy, you will see the day when Thailand is

an islamic republic.

Wouldn't the world be a whole lot more peaceful without the Islam religion. As inoffensive as the religion is supposed to be it's followers seem to contradict it at every opportunity.

Shame on you and your mentality :o

Think positive, be positive :D

Wouldn't the world be a whole lot more peaceful without the Islam religion. As inoffensive as the religion is supposed to be it's followers seem to contradict it at every opportunity.

there are strong political and economic issues at stake here. I sincerely hope this thread will not degenerate into another occasion for untramelled and unintelligent Islamophobia

AND TELLME WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT ISLAM?????? MORE PEOPLE HAVE MURDERED IN THE NAME OF CHRISTIANITY AND THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INOFFENSIVE RELIGION IS IT NOT DONT COMMENT ON THINGS YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND

Suggested to K.Wife that the southern states -Patani-Yarro etc should be handed back to Malaysia (where I suggested they belong) but her only reply was unthinkable/printable and basically we (Brits) get the blame for the whole figgin mess for mucking about in the area in the first place.

Tried to suggest that I had nothing to do wit..but............You wanna take MY country and give it AWAY......

Afraid she dosnt have much time for their local religion/behaviour/pratices either...and ...with scorn....But then she is Thai and thats... different ..innit :o ..is it? :D