Prachuap Khiri Khan......what's it like to live in?

Rob180

Thanks all for all the helpful posts. I managed to visit PKK earlier this year and I loved it. Definitely a place I would like to live!biggrin.png

But do we want you to live here?cheesy.gif

Don't worry, I'll only bring 1 or 2 plane loads of yobs with me.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stopped there for a few days a couple of times en route to Krabi. We stayed at a little guest house right on the sea front. Great seafood restaurant close by. Beautiful views. Could I live there? It is quiet for sure. Definitely worth a look.

I've been thinking of a move to PKK for a while, Phuket is crazy busy with crazy drivers, PKK is the opposite, quiet with considerate drivers, Wing 5 beach is lovely.
Indeed it is I make a 10 hour trip each year to spend at least a week at Ao Manao beach (wing 5).

Same here, I make the approx 10hr drive about 4 times a year, love the place, it also has the best Italian food I have had(Il Vino, just outside Wing 5 entrance) also great English breakfast at Twigs.

Twiggs has closed and been replaced by 'Three Bays' (I think it is called) and the excellent meat pies and other baked goods are no longer available.

Twiggs has closed and been replaced by 'Three Bays' (I think it is called) and the excellent meat pies and other baked goods are no longer available.

Err tis not truecoffee1.gif

Had a few pies from there last month (take away) cannot really comment on the Australian variety, but they are certainly as good as any UK ones.

I actually drove 15 KM to fetch them well a small lie (actually to get drunk and then fetch them)

Err tis not truecoffee1.gif

Had a few pies from there last month (take away) cannot really comment on the Australian variety, but they are certainly as good as any UK ones.

I actually drove 15 KM to fetch them well a small lie (actually to get drunk and then fetch them)

Just changed hands again this week, not sure what will change this time.

Pies are pretty good at Top Deck restaurant too.

I was at the former Twiggs a couple of days ago and there were no pies in the display cabinets. However, you are right to say that pies are available. On the menu there was something described as a 'meat pie' and that turned out to be mostly kidney with a little 'meat'. I thought that it compared poorly with John's chunky beef pies and I won't order another.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the former Twiggs a couple of days ago and there were no pies in the display cabinets. However, you are right to say that pies are available. On the menu there was something described as a 'meat pie' and that turned out to be mostly kidney with a little 'meat'. I thought that it compared poorly with John's chunky beef pies and I won't order another.

Went yesterday. The new name is Farangs and I met one of the owners, nice guy. They did some cosmetic work, and increased the Thai side of the menu.

I went specifically for the pies, and when I looked in the display there was only blueberry (I wanted meat). They did have a meat pie on the menu. The co-owner saw me looking at the display and brought over a little menu listing the various pie, steak with kidney, or bacon, or ale, or onion, chicken with mushroom and aussie pie (May have missed a type). He was out of a couple, but I bought a steak w onion, chicken w mushrooms and aussie pie.

They have different specials each day.

Went yesterday. The new name is Farangs and I met one of the owners, nice guy. They did some cosmetic work, and increased the Thai side of the menu.

I went specifically for the pies, and when I looked in the display there was only blueberry (I wanted meat). They did have a meat pie on the menu. The co-owner saw me looking at the display and brought over a little menu listing the various pie, steak with kidney, or bacon, or ale, or onion, chicken with mushroom and aussie pie (May have missed a type). He was out of a couple, but I bought a steak w onion, chicken w mushrooms and aussie pie.

They have different specials each day.

Thanks for the information. That's good news.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2015 at 2:32 PM, steve654 said:

For Ao Manao Beach, I heard we have to give the Navy Guard our passport which he holds until you leave the beach or the beach hotel area. Is this true?

Just a little uneasy surrendering my passport for a couple of days if we decide to stay at the hotel.

I cannot find how to book this hotel online, did you just show up ?

Got a feeling it wont be an online booking hotel its owned by the military

Seems a nice hotel i have only used the pool never seen the rooms Usually busy with big groups, foreigners can stay there but i suspect there is little or no English spoken.

re Ao manao and passports you have to sign in although its seemingly an intermittent procedure i travel regularly  and never been asked to sign in 3 years.Although in high season tourists for sure are stopped and asked to sign in daily

They do not keep your passport

on  a military base

20 hours ago, innocenthai said:

So incredible that it's the only hotel directly on the sand there ?

On 8/21/2016 at 10:08 AM, poohy said:

its owned by the military

and it's on their military base.. there's your answer

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, AsianExport said:

Front beach houses must be cheap there as so many are available or abandoned.

Beach houses on air force base?? some scabby Air Force housing near the Ao Manao beach near the toilets food court but they are lived in !

Plenty of new housing in town along with older rentals stuff, but believe me if you can find a" beach front house or land" in PKK town that's cheap and for sale you have done well

10 hours ago, poohy said:

Beach houses on air force base?? some scabby Air Force housing near the Ao Manao beach near the toilets food court but they are lived in !

Plenty of new housing in town along with older rentals stuff, but believe me if you can find a" beach front house or land" in PKK town that's cheap and for sale you have done well

Who said airforce ? I said PKK and i confirm that so many houses are available for "cheap" compared to more civilized places in Thailand.

I am talking about PKK 

evidently then my idea of cheap differs to yours!

beach land 5 million plus and that's in klongwaan

beach house rental PKK between 20k/15K a month ?

new housing in PKK (not on beach) 2.4 milion up?

Ok course it goes without saying its cheaper and nicer here than bangkok or other big cities  and because the border is supposedly going to open soon ( but its been opening "soon" since  2006)that's why many houses are second home for these people and why there is a property boom around there

6 hours ago, AsianExport said:

Who said airforce ? I said PKK and i confirm that so many houses are available for "cheap" compared to more civilized places in Thailand.

Please elaborate, I do not know of any rental buildings on the beach. I live across the road from the beach, I assure you it is not cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Also a northern resident on my way down to Hua Hin/Pranburi looking for place to escape the bad weather in the north and flee from as much farm work as possible. Didn't consider going farther south. If looking to check out rentals, any tips on where to start?

1 hour ago, Manassas said:

Also a northern resident on my way down to Hua Hin/Pranburi looking for place to escape the bad weather in the north and flee from as much farm work as possible. Didn't consider going farther south. If looking to check out rentals, any tips on where to start?

There is one estate agent in town main street opposite a school. Best way is like most of Thailand, jump on a bike and cruise the sois looking for signs and ask mom and pop shops if they know of any rentals.

Hi Rob, I'm Thai guy and Prachuap kk is my hometown. Now I would like to sale the land , 800 square meters, near Ao Manao around 9 mins. 

If you have long plan to live at PKK, build new house, family and good life, please contact to me. 

Thank you.

Apinan: 0815826463

Screenshot_20161009-145114.png

Screenshot_20161009-145059.png

• 6 months later...

Interesting thread.  I was just in PKK two months ago around mid-February.  I haven't been down to PKK in over 10 years.  Despite that the place hasn't changed a whole lot.  The beach promenade in PKK town is a bit nicer.  I did notice a few farang type restaurants and was amazed there were so many older farang expats around town.  Usually when I have visited there were no farangs around at all.  

I first visited PKK in 1983 with my Thai wife.  Although she is from Bangkok her Mom is originally from PKK  and has a number of relatives that still live in PKK.  We were on a two month Thailand visit to meet her parents and her three older sisters that I hadn't met.  We had a good time in PKK and upon our return to the USA we bought 6.5 rai of land in PKK near the railway station.  In a few more years I may be living 6-8 months a year in PKK.  It sure beats the rat race in Bangkok that's for sure.  

• 1 month later...

Some quick observations after a week long stay in Meuang PKK...

Negatives….

1. The noise from Route 4 is 24/7. Even a kilometer (or more) away from Phetkasem you can hear the roar of traffic, even in the dead of night.

2. PKK has a mosquito problem. There are lots of boggy, swampy, or areas with poor drainage which are fertile breeding areas. I was surprised by how many mosquitos there were around the house I was renting.

3. PKK has no municipal dump. PKK hauls its trash to the dump in neighboring Pranburi. While there are trash barrels and regularly scheduled trash pickup throughout the city, you can see that there is a problem with illegal dumping in some spots. Also, people resort to burning garden debris which won't fit into the small trash barrels.

4. Some of the side streets are so narrow that they are effectively one-way. Utility poles and water meters often are perilously close to the road. (I damaged a side mirror on my truck sideswiping a power pole which was ridiculously close to the road. Even on the main roads, Koh Lak Road for example, vehicles parked along side the road made for tight maneuvering in a Isuzu D-max pickup truck.  I found drivers to be very considerate while riding my bicycle, but the congestion did not make bike riding in town very pleasant (except for the Ao Manao AFB which had great dedicated bicycle paths.)

5. Maybe I was missing something, but beyond noodle shops and very basic Thai restaurants, I did not think there were very many "dining out" type restaurants in town.

6. PKK merchants are still in a learning phase about do's and don't's in dealing with foreigners. The vast majority (90%) are very honest, but a tiny number are downright predatory. 

7. Highway 4 is undergoing a lot of construction, and there are a lot of police inspections presumably due to security concerns.

Positives...

1. Great farmer's markets, especially for seafood.

2. Great easy access to Lotus, Makro, Home Pro (side note: stay away from the Kitchen Plus restaurant @ HomePro; probably the weirdest, least appetizing food I've ever eaten in Thailand).

3. As mentioned, Ao Manao AFB has some wonderful bike paths. Outside of town there are also quieter roads which offer fairly pleasant bicycling routes and there is a healthy bicycling culture there both among foreigners and Thais. Dogs are generally well-behaved towards bicyclists, even out on country roads.

4. Very friendly people. There are a lot of retired Thai military people in town who I found to be extremely friendly and welcoming.

5. Proximity to the ocean made overnight temperatures noticeably cooler than in central Thailand where I live. 

6. The Western side of PhetKasem Hwy is much more laid-back, but unfortunately there aren't a lot of rental options there, and I'm not in the market for trying to lease land and build a house out there.

Take away: Great place to visit, even for an extended stay, but probably won't move there.

Funny post, but I guess that only you can hear the far away road, and only you can feel the mosquitoes more than somewhere else.

Also no special traffic compared to many many other places in Thailand.

I didn't notice many dumps as you did and the narrow streets or utility poles even wen driving a big German car.

But as an evidence that you do not see things as they really are, there are many western food restaurants, just have a look on tripadvisor, especially Italian food.

Another funny one:  PKK merchants are still in a learning phase about do's and don't's in dealing with foreigners. 555

Interesting anyway that you tell what you think that you have seen...

Archived