Honda Wave Maintenance?

ricklev

I have an 8 year old Wave that I just drive to the end of the soi to the BTS and back a again a couple of times a day in Bangkok. I bought it new in Chiang Mai and used to ride it there so it has about 20K on it.

For the last five years or so all I've done is change the oil every year or so. I don't think I've ever changed the plug or air filter since it was new. (I did take it to the Honda dealer during the warranty period.) I did change the chain and sprocket, tires and tubes at 18K or so.

Now I'm going to do some maintenance on it as I'm lending it to a friend for a couple of months.

What should I do to make it safe and pleasant to ride.

I was thinking:

1. Oil change

2. Air filter

3. Spark plug

4. Shocks

5. Brakes

Any other suggestions? I can't read the manual and don't trust the Honda shop to do what it says anyway. I'm not worried about them ripping me off, just not doing the right things. (It's strange that I can't trust Honda to actually maintain the bike according to the maintenance schedule. I doubt they ever did anything according to the schedule when I brought it in during the warranty. Just changed the oil and stamped the book.)

Thanks!

Edited by ricklev

I have a BOR 5 year old Honda Wave, drum brakes, kick start with 22k on the clock, changed the chain and sprockets a few weeks ago, so same as you.

I take it to a local guy who changes the oil every year and every 2 years or so check and change shoes, usually have a lot of meat left, but very cheap, so do it anyway.

It still has the original plug, but occasionally requires two kicks, so will change that later this year, or more likely just clean it.

You will know when the shocks are going, so far all's well.

Forgot about the air filter so will check that next time.

Never missed a beat in it's life and still looks and feels brand new, ride it every day often two up, never thrash it.

Don't worry about it.

I would replace the tires (and tubes?) after 8 years. And i wouldnt let them touch the shocks unless there is a problem. Better replace the brake fluid for front brake too (if you have a disc brake in front). So far your list sounds good, just remove the shocks (imo).

Edited by wantan

Thanks!

How do you tell when it needs new shocks?

Seems a little rougher riding than when I bought it, but maybe not......

Or is it the springs that need to be replaced occasionally?

Edited by ricklev

Your list is pretty accurate, ( oil/airfilter/sparkplug/brake pads)

If you had the tyres replaced at 18K they should be OK, just check if there not dried out.

Shock should be okay, you could check if there any leaks, but with 20K I don't expect they are worn out, ( or you must be a very heavy guy)smile.png

All the work could be done at any Honda dealer / or bike shop around the corner , just stick around and check while they replace the parts.

Or better: buy the parts and DIY

Good luck

I would replace the tires (and tubes?) after 8 years. And i wouldnt let them touch the shocks unless there is a problem. Better replace the brake fluid for front brake too (if you have a disc brake in front). So far your list sounds good, just remove the shocks (imo).

The reason I bought BOR, (bottom of the range) 34,000baht....No Hydraulics/brake fluid to worry about and no electrics start/battery. KISS and 5 years of trouble free biking, expect that again and again. One pair of tyres (now extra wide) and one chain/sprockets, oh I upgraded headlight bulb to halogen, huge improvement for 100baht....a real sod to fit though.

The reason I bought BOR, (bottom of the range) 34,000baht....No Hydraulics/brake fluid to worry about and no electrics start/battery. KISS and 5 years of trouble free biking, expect that again and again. One pair of tyres (now extra wide) and one chain/sprockets, oh I upgraded headlight bulb to halogen, huge improvement for 100baht....a real sod to fit though.

That was my thinking as well and I also bought the cheapest Wave 125. I just wanted a basic bike that anyone in Thailand could fix. I also replaced the tires with wider ones when the time came but never thought about the halogen light. Good idea!

Never had a problem with it that needed fixing though!

Edited by ricklev

I was thinking:

1. Oil change

2. Air filter

3. Spark plug

4. Shocks

5. Brakes

There is a bunch of stuff even on a small bike that you may want to check occasionally.

steering pipe correct tightening

valve clearance

fork lubricant

chain slack, greasing and get a self lubricated one.

swingarm pivot greasing

spoked rims tightening

general bolt tightening

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

There is a bunch of stuff even on a small bike that you may want to check occasionally.

Forgot, semi-auto timing chain tensioner, where present. But Honda should be fully automatic.

I was thinking:

1. Oil change

2. Air filter

3. Spark plug

4. Shocks

5. Brakes

valve clearance

fork lubricant

swingarm pivot greasing

spoked rims tightening

general bolt tightening

Thanks, I'm sure none of that stuff has been done in the life of the bike. Except that I would make sure they checked the slack and lubricated the chain when I changed the oil.

Edited by ricklev

Honda say 16 000kmfor an air cleaner on a wave,which I think is along time,I do a lot of dirt road rideing, change it less than that now

Pig of a thing to change, especially with the basket on,got to take basket and mouting brackets off to get at the air cleaner.

Done 40 000 km now still got the OM rear shocks on,they have a hard life no sign of any leaks ,must do folk oil,soon.

Had the vale clearance checked once.

As has been said, they just go ,on and on,do change the engine oil on the dot every 4 000km.

As has been said, they just go ,on and on,do change the engine oil on the dot every 4 000km.

You can at least double the replacement interval using premium oil.

Edited by paz

I was thinking:

1. Oil change

2. Air filter

3. Spark plug

4. Shocks

5. Brakes

valve clearance

fork lubricant

swingarm pivot greasing

spoked rims tightening

general bolt tightening

Chain slack yes, but this is a Honda Wave, leave the damn thing alone, it will run forever, just keep an eye open.

Chain greasing, a self lubricating one? This has a chain guard, check it whenever it seems a bit too slack, you can feel it clearly, then spray it at the same time and replace the bung. We got over 20,000k out of the chain (75% of the time 2 up, plus shopping at times) and then it cost just a few baht for the whole set.

The only regular check is tyre pressures and if you use a streetside man, take a pressure gauge and readjust. Never understand why bike pressures drop here...osmosis?blink.png

i have a honda wave that i bought used about five years ago...it has an electric starter and much to my amazement the battery has never been replaced or caused any problems since i have had it...even when i don't even start it for months at a time it still starts right up?

How can that be that the battery would last that long???...seems i have to change my car battery about every 18 months or so.

We used to have this problem in Vietnam too when I lived there. We used to buy the original parts from Honda and then stand over the mechanic who replaced them to both make sure he did a good job and to make sure he did not steal the original parts and substitute fake parts.

Chain greasing, a self lubricating one? This has a chain guard, check it whenever it seems a bit too slack, you can feel it clearly, then spray it at the same time and replace the bung. We got over 20,000k out of the chain (75% of the time 2 up, plus shopping at times) and then it cost just a few baht for the whole set.

It has been said that the chain system was replaced at 18K. That is not normal. A self lubricating chain is always advisable, and is not OEM fitted only for cost reason. Thing that from your postings we know you appreciate above anything else.

It has been said that the chain system was replaced at 18K. That is not normal. A self lubricating chain is always advisable, and is not OEM fitted only for cost reason. Thing that from your postings we know you appreciate above anything else.

What is a self lubricating chain?

Why is changing a Wave chain @ 18,000km not normal.

What is a self lubricating chain?

Why is changing a Wave chain @ 18,000km not normal.

Better say permanent lubrication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-ring_chain

Not normal because 18K is not much and the bike has little power, that hints to poor maintenance or low grade materials. That assuming there was reason for replacement.

Edited by paz

I changed it at 18K only because I took it in to change the oil at a hole in the wall shop and asked them to oil and adjust the chain. They told me they couldn't adjust it properly because the sprocket and chain needed to be replaced. No idea if that was true but they seemed honest and it was cheap enough so I told them to go ahead......

I have a BOR 5 year old Honda Wave, drum brakes, kick start with 22k on the clock, changed the chain and sprockets a few weeks ago, so same as you.

I take it to a local guy who changes the oil every year and every 2 years or so check and change shoes, usually have a lot of meat left, but very cheap, so do it anyway.

It still has the original plug, but occasionally requires two kicks, so will change that later this year, or more likely just clean it.

You will know when the shocks are going, so far all's well.

Forgot about the air filter so will check that next time.

Never missed a beat in it's life and still looks and feels brand new, ride it every day often two up, never thrash it.

Don't worry about it.

Don't forget the air filter. A clogged air filter reduces acceleration and increases the fuel consumption, and blackens the spark plug . The air filter easily can be taken out and treated with pressurized air, then it will last for the next 5 or 10k, depending on the riding conditions. Front forks also should be rinsed, to remove the sludge and the oil should be changed.

Edited by fxe1200

I changed it at 18K only because I took it in to change the oil at a hole in the wall shop and asked them to oil and adjust the chain. They told me they couldn't adjust it properly because the sprocket and chain needed to be replaced. No idea if that was true but they seemed honest and it was cheap enough so I told them to go ahead......

Inability to adjust indicates excessive chain wear. You adjust in a position, then it's too tight or slack in another.

Inability to adjust indicates excessive chain wear. You adjust in a position, then it's too tight or slack in another.

Excessive slack of the chain can also damage the oil seal behind the front sprocket.

Just took my daughter's Wave, (4years, 35K), to a local Honda dealer; 2 new tyres, 1 battery and new headlight - B2,500.

All done whilst I sat and had a coffee.

Edited by Nbarch

You can at least double the replacement interval using premium oil.

"Premium oil" is exactly that, oil sold at a premium, usually based on an extensive advertising campaign. It's usually differentiated on the basis it is a synthetic oil ( read: based on synthetic esters ) rather than a mineral oil ( read: derived from petroleum ) laced with anti-wear additives. Advertising campaigns omit mentioning synthetic esters are much more susceptible to breakdown in the presence of moisture.

So do you think an oil company will shell out compensation if your engine seizes up after doubling the oil change interval?

The evidence supporting the superior lubrication of synthetic esters does not really justify the extra cost imposed by oil companies. It's a better proposition to have a bet each way by using a semi-synthetic formula, and stick to the 4000km changes.

• Like 1