Honda Wave Maintenance?

ricklev

So do you think an oil company will shell out compensation if your engine seizes up after doubling the oil change interval?

I think and said that not oils are equal, and better (if you dislike the premium designation) oil have a longer service life.

(DELETED)

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

What is a self lubricating chain?

Why is changing a Wave chain @ 18,000km not normal.

Better say permanent lubrication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-ring_chain

Not normal because 18K is not much and the bike has little power, that hints to poor maintenance or low grade materials. That assuming there was reason for replacement.

Just looked at my records and I replaced my set of chain and sprocket at 34 000 km ,the main reason was the chain had a very tight spot ,when the rest was a bit on the slack side, not even used up all the adjustment ,the sprockets were not even worn, no hooks on them, complete new set 360 bart, all I do to the chain is ,when I check it I put on some thick tractor gear oil SAE 90,done that for years over here,with a lot of riding on dirt roads during the rainy season, and a lot of mud ,takes a lot out of a set of chain and sprockets .

My old bike.a Kawa GTO 22 000km, chain /sprockets worn out,less if I had to put a new set on in the rainy season.

Re battery, my GTO has a dry cell battery first I have ever had now almost 3 year old still going,the old battery's 18 -20 months shot,but the dry cell was 520 bart.,a lot more than a lead /acid.

Oh dear... Why not just trade it in on a new one. Changing the shocks, tires, major engine service, chain sprocket, brakes and everything ells will cost you to much and you will be over spend to what the thing is worth.

Just buy a bloody new one....

Thanks for the tip on the permanent chain lubrication and the English owners manual. I took my wave to the local bike repair shop, for a small service and oil change, cost about 560 baht, during the service to kill time I walked across to the computer shop and spent 1200 baht on a fancy mouse and some other stuff I probably didn't need. Seems out of whack really.

• Like 1

I changed it at 18K only because I took it in to change the oil at a hole in the wall shop and asked them to oil and adjust the chain. They told me they couldn't adjust it properly because the sprocket and chain needed to be replaced. No idea if that was true but they seemed honest and it was cheap enough so I told them to go ahead......

Inability to adjust indicates excessive chain wear. You adjust in a position, then it's too tight or slack in another.

It is quite easy to determine when a chain is finished with the rattly noise it makes (even after a lube), where the teeth become too big for the rollers. If you check the fit you can see that too, there is a gap and slop between chain and rollers.

With the quality of chain fitted/sold here the 20k km mark seems to about right, unless you are ham fisted with the throttle, gear shifting, or towing a caravan, when 10k may be more appropriate.

As rickley said, if in any doubt, change the chain/sprockets, it costs only a few baht and will save you a fortune in gearbox/bearing damage, as will over-tightening a chain, which some shops like to do here.

I do the same with brake shoes, let them get too low and it will cost a lot more than the ridiculous 100 baht for the shoes.

These are all such poultry sums, so who cares if the repair guy is lying, just have it done with the piece of mind that it is good for another 1 or 2 years. Where else are you going to get 2 years of reliable transport for a couple of squid?

That's what I like about the Wave, none of this stuff is expensive, you spend 34,000baht on a new bike and after 10 years you buy another....and go up to 200 miles on a gallon of cheapo gasahol and 70km on a litre is cheaper than walking.

Oh dear... Why not just trade it in on a new one. Changing the shocks, tires, major engine service, chain sprocket, brakes and everything ells will cost you to much and you will be over spend to what the thing is worth.

Just buy a bloody new one....

I changed shocks, tyres, major engine tune up, chain and sprockets, and everything else for about 2500฿.

I bought the bike for 8K baht and have run it for 4 years. It is now 26 years old and shows no signs of dying before I do.

Why should I trade it in for a 40K baht bike that will need the same service eventually.

My ugliest bike in Thailand will outlast me! a new bike is worth 30% less the day you ride it off the lot.

• Like 1

i have a honda wave that i bought used about five years ago...it has an electric starter and much to my amazement the battery has never been replaced or caused any problems since i have had it...even when i don't even start it for months at a time it still starts right up?

How can that be that the battery would last that long???...seems i have to change my car battery about every 18 months or so.

I have to change the battery in my car every 2 years.

On the Wave 125i, I've not changed it since it was new 9 years ago. No idea what's in that battery but whatever it is, it works. And works. And works... tongue.png

If you have an old Wave that works, just ride it. No need to do anything.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 2

i have a honda wave that i bought used about five years ago...it has an electric starter and much to my amazement the battery has never been replaced or caused any problems since i have had it...even when i don't even start it for months at a time it still starts right up?

How can that be that the battery would last that long???...seems i have to change my car battery about every 18 months or so.

I have to change the battery in my car every 2 years.

On the Wave 125i, I've not changed it since it was new 9 years ago. No idea what's in that battery but whatever it is, it works. And works. And works... tongue.png

If you have an old Wave that works, just ride it. No need to do anything.

"No idea what's in that battery but whatever it is, it works. And works. And works"

It's Plutonium handle with lead gloves only.

Seriously my last car the battery lasted 9 years can't explain that either.

• 4 years later...