falang farang

nikmar

Reading these here pages on ThaiVisa, I've come across a few different spellings of the word "farang".

Falang, furlang, farlang and a couple of others. What would you say is the correct spelling?

i had an American friend who pronounced it "furlong" but he was never understood at the best of times.

Not that I'm bothered, just curious.

Thats how it sounds "correctly""

http://www.thai-language.com/mp3/E131256.mp3

http://www.thai-language.com/id/131256

Make up your own transcription (I am not a native English speaker).

The "r" would be correct, but as you know many Thais just don't get it over their tongue and babble "l" instead.

Your American friend is quite good.

But not the only example that correct Thai is not understood at the bar cheesy.gif

How on earth, and how many of us, mere mortals, can read Thai?

Some can whistling.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

The correct spelling is<deleted> Anything else is an approximation.

You are very helpful as usual.......

If you've lived here any length of time surely you'd have at least tried to learn?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The correct spelling is <deleted>Anything else is an approximation.

You are very helpful as usual.......

If you've lived here any length of time surely you'd have at least tried to learn?

Yeah but that would require him to get off Thaivisa

• Like 2

Englsh farang thai pronouce it as falang.

There are Thais who can pronounce an "r" wink.png

Just listen to the evening news. A roaring "r" to be heard.

But here's the answer to your question

Farang is Thai

Falang is Lao (and Issan)

There will be someone along shortly to disagree. smile.png

Comes close. As far as I know there is no "r" in the Lao language.

Edited by KhunBENQ

My Bangkok condo is in a resort called Klang Krung. I have tried every combination of the Thai r, l and even w that I can think of - but never yet managed to get a taxi driver to understand it. My Thai isn't fluent but I get by okay normally. Can any of you experts give me a good phonetic on how to properly pronounce this? Thanks in advance.

My Bangkok condo is in a resort called Klang Krung. I have tried every combination of the Thai r, l and even w that I can think of - but never yet managed to get a taxi driver to understand it. My Thai isn't fluent but I get by okay normally. Can any of you experts give me a good phonetic on how to properly pronounce this? Thanks in advance.

Oh mate, I bet you have fun getting home after a few beers. I have the same problem when I want to go to Central or the Nation building. "cenchun, censhan, centren etc etc.

• Like 1

For me I don't like being called a farang but some here like it .it is not a word to call a person a farang I just look on google it was made up to call people from the west farang .

Like back home did not like being called a &lt;deleted&gt; growing up and now the word &lt;deleted&gt; is not use so maybe one day thais could stop using the word .

• Like 1

thank you for the responses. I knew the Thai but I never knew that "falang" could be considered more Laos so Ive learnt something today. cheers Mr Smokin.

i guess "baksidaa" is less ambiguous.

Not less ambiguous, just a non sequitur.

Nope. Have someone in the office write it down. Then have them help you repeatedly say it, correcting you each time. When you have it perfect taxi drivers still won't know it. You'll have to give them the intersection and guide them in.

• Like 1

Farang, but some speak it not clear Falang.

Many R will often spoken lazy as L. In the South it is more Rish, in the north/northeast more Lish

So real is Farang, in North/Northeast often just Falang.

In the South often just Rang. (While the speak the R correct they tend to remove parts to shorten things)

Nope. Have someone in the office write it down. Then have them help you repeatedly say it, correcting you each time. When you have it perfect taxi drivers still won't know it. You'll have to give them the intersection and guide them in.

That's exactly what I've done in the past and have to do now - after 5 bloomin' years!

Respect to all you folk who can speak Thai fluently - although I do often think that Thais see a farang and simply automatically know that they'll not understand what he's likely to say. How difficult can it be to get sanaam bin Don Muang Krap wrong? Seems like I never get it right

Have a look at " thai language forum "; many of us can read thai: no one can say he knows Thailand if he can't read thai : it's not so difficult

• Like 2

You need to get the tones and vowel lengths correct. Nobody can tell you these from a transliteration. Ask someone Thai to read it to you and listen carefully.

Big assumption that a taxi driver in Thailand can read (and write).

• Like 2