falang farang

nikmar

I think 2 correct answers

Farang if writing

and falang if speaking

at least thats how I hear it walking around BKK in Thai areas

And I do not take it as an insult , same as Ausländer in Germany

They call white people Auslander in Germany????

Englsh farang thai pronouce it as falang.

There are Thais who can pronounce an "r" wink.png

Just listen to the evening news. A roaring "r" to be heard.

But here's the answer to your question

Farang is Thai

Falang is Lao (and Issan)

There will be someone along shortly to disagree. smile.png

Comes close. As far as I know there is no "r" in the Lao language.

"A roaring "r" is to be heard."

Did you mean 'rolling' instead of 'roaring' ?

If so, I'd agree with you. It has always seemed to me that educated Thais with good diction pronounce the 'r' sound [raw rua] with a rolling inflection similar to Scots; but shorter and more abrupt.

That's just my take on it.

For me I don't like being called a farang but some here like it .it is not a word to call a person a farang I just look on google it was made up to call people from the west farang .

Like back home did not like being called a <deleted> growing up and now the word <deleted> is not use so maybe one day thais could stop using the word .

Fat chance,my father in law calls me 'the falang' after 3 years here,he knows my name,but for him falang,so i asked my wife why he cannot call me by my name,bad luck to adress an inferior to kon Thai,as anything else but in a demeaning way,was the gist of the answer,as Thailand as we all know is the greatest country on Earth,delusional fools that they are.

For me I don't like being called a farang but some here like it .it is not a word to call a person a farang I just look on google it was made up to call people from the west farang .

Like back home did not like being called a <deleted> growing up and now the word <deleted> is not use so maybe one day thais could stop using the word .

Fat chance,my father in law calls me 'the falang' after 3 years here,he knows my name,but for him falang,so i asked my wife why he cannot call me by my name,bad luck to adress an inferior to kon Thai,as anything else but in a demeaning way,was the gist of the answer,as Thailand as we all know is the greatest country on Earth,delusional fools that they are.

You (and your wife) should teach the old man (FIL) some manners!!

He is being extremely impolite!!

If he don't want to call you by name, refuse to visit him!!

My Thai neighbors, with whom I am not close, call me by my first name.

• Like 1

The etymology of the word is important. It is derived from "Farangsaed" which means French.

The Thai consonant "R" is produced with a tongue flap just behind the alveolar ridge so a slightly forward placement turns it into an "L" sound rather than an "R" sound. Similarly, in Japanese, their "R" often comes out sounding like a lightly flapped "L." The important facet is really the length of the vocalization. Longer vocalizations will be perceived as Rs; shorter ones will be perceived as Ls.

In order to explain the correct pronunciation of this word/term, one should first look at "the origin" of this word/term.

When the first Europeans reached the shores of Siam (as Thailand was then known), the French were predominantly in evidence.

When the Thai's inquired as to their origin, the French responded with "Je suis Francais" (I am French). The Thai's immediately adopted the word "Francais" to identify any "white colored foreigner who came to Thailand and since the Thai's had a problem with pronouncing "connected-letters" they pronounced it "Farangsei",which eventually 'bastardized" down to the word we hear every day, in Thailand, namely "Faa'-Rang".

Many people are under the mis-conception that 'Fa-rang' automatically infers a derogatory meaning: it does not. - Thai's merely use this term to differentiate between races without intending to be 'racist'.

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Get over it. I've been called a pakeha all my life back home. Just a name, I know I'm not a flea of the rat

• Like 1

I think 2 correct answers

Farang if writing

and falang if speaking

at least thats how I hear it walking around BKK in Thai areas

And I do not take it as an insult , same as Ausländer in Germany

They call white people Auslander in Germany????

sure they do , because you are , since you are not German

but Ausländer is more a discription

Not sure "Gringo" in Mexico / Central / South america is always good or bad

"A roaring "r" is to be heard."

Did you mean 'rolling' instead of 'roaring' ?

If so, I'd agree with you. It has always seemed to me that educated Thais with good diction pronounce the 'r' sound [raw rua] with a rolling inflection similar to Scots; but shorter and more abrupt.

That's just my take on it.

Yep, just the wrong wording.

My English is somewhat limited tongue.png

In order to explain the correct pronunciation of this word/term, one should first look at "the origin" of this word/term.

When the first Europeans reached the shores of Siam (as Thailand was then known), the French were predominantly in evidence.

When the Thai's inquired as to their origin, the French responded with "Je suis Francais" (I am French). The Thai's immediately adopted the word "Francais" to identify any "white colored foreigner who came to Thailand and since the Thai's had a problem with pronouncing "connected-letters" they pronounced it "Farangsei",which eventually 'bastardized" down to the word we hear every day, in Thailand, namely "Faa'-Rang".

The etymology of the word is important. It is derived from "Farangsaed" which means French.

This is all so wrong. It seems to stem from something Joe Cummings wrote in a Lonely Planet guide book a few years back.

A little difficult as he now lives with us,in a small room outside the house,however,after my drunken blow up last week,we have now reconciled,and i apologised to him,that said,as i pay for everything,and support this family,it is my rules,i find a massive blow up every now and again,whilst a little unerving for the Thai's,keeps things on track,you have to be master of your own domain,this is a basic human principle,there cannot be two bosses,kings,or even stretching it further,two male lions,in the same pack,he now realises i am the guvnor,but i have saved his face by apologising,this is called diplomacy,you may not like the people you have to share your life with but don't make it a hell,for yourself,through principles,sometimes you have to compromise.

It's farang, it's an 'R' character and it's pronounced as an R

Some people may pronounce it as an L but it's spelt with an R and that's the correct way I learned and have always said it.

I only ever hear the L pronounciation hanging out in bars and stuff

A little difficult as he now lives with us,in a small room outside the house,however,after my drunken blow up last week,we have now reconciled,and i apologised to him,that said,as i pay for everything,and support this family,it is my rules,i find a massive blow up every now and again,whilst a little unerving for the Thai's,keeps things on track,you have to be master of your own domain,this is a basic human principle,there cannot be two bosses,kings,or even stretching it further,two male lions,in the same pack,he now realises i am the guvnor,but i have saved his face by apologising,this is called diplomacy,you may not like the people you have to share your life with but don't make it a hell,for yourself,through principles,sometimes you have to compromise.

In every pack the old Alpha is taught his time is up but only when the emerging new Alpha has the balls to stand up to him sounds like you are starting to. Don't let go of his throat until he totally understands his days of Alpha are only a memory

• Like 1

Just sorted it with my partner. She is from the north in the golden triangle but lived in BKK a long time she has always corrected my pronunciation of farang. After following this thread all day I tried furlang tonight several times and not once did she correct me bsorted

Never talk to FIL directly.

Always title him "paw mung" when talking to him through a third party.

You are 'the farang' he is 'paw mung'

Works a treat.

I wad always taught respect your elders and there is something in that but also something in the saying mutual respect. Just because you are farang to him does not mean you should not get any respect if you have earnt it and just financial support does nit always equate to deserved respect. Hoe often do you go help with what he can't do and more important how often do you spend time with him away from his daughter just with him getting pissed or whatever showing him some respect that he is not just your wife's father but someone you respect It is a two way thing