Best Burger in Bangkok 2015......

smokie36

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok.....u want a good burger? Its best when its about 30 to 35% fat...raw.....so it shrinks down. .......I take the local beef and grind it myself....you can buy the table mount grinders and dabble till you get what you want......but the kicker in making a good burger is to form the patty and do that with as little intervention as possible...a loose packed burger is rhe bomb....

Ok.....u want a good burger? Its best when its about 30 to 35% fat...raw.....so it shrinks down. .......I take the local beef and grind it myself....you can buy the table mount grinders and dabble till you get what you want......but the kicker in making a good burger is to form the patty and do that with as little intervention as possible...a loose packed burger is rhe bomb....

This thread aint about how good a burger you can make at home.

I want it cooked...served with chips n slaw and copious beers preferably. :D

Onnut ?? sounds like the beer garden, (got to pay to have a piss) better food than burgers in there and good live music if this is the place

That pay to piss thing is just plain irritating to the point I haven't been back to try the El Mariachi stall there.

Did notice a burger stall there too so maybe that's what the other poster was referring to?

For me, Carl's Jr. is my burger favorite in Bangkok. Dunno that I can or would say it's the best, but it's a consistently good, reliable burger that tastes mostly like a burger should, with the right mix of toppings, and on a soft, pleasant tasting bun. And for me, the added feature of them having a jalapeno burger, which happens to be my personal favorite.

I've tried a lot of the so-called restaurant burger places around BKK, and have mostly been unimpressed. Funky tasting meat, burgers formed in the shape of meatballs, chefs who try to make their "gourmet" burgers something other than a burger, bad/stale/tough buns, poor service by folks who don't have the slightest idea how to prepare or serve a burger, etc etc.

Other than those places:

--I continue to hear good things about Daniel Thaiger's burger truck, though I never seem to be hanging out in Thong Lor in the evenings looking for a burger to take home or eat on the street. And I like even less having to queue up for one.

--Duke's in the Emporium is long-gone.

--Some long time past, I tried and quite liked one of the burgers at the Hard Rock Cafe in Siam Square. A bit pricey, but probably among the closest to an American style burger I've found in BKK, and quite well executed.

--Some folks here have given positive comments for the (I think) 500 baht hamburgers at El Gaucho Argentinian steak house near Terminal 21. But I simply on principle won't pay 500 baht for a hamburger. FWIW, they've just recently opened a new (I presume second) branch near the top of Suk Soi 11.

--The place in the basement of Siam Paragon is Chok Chai, not Chok Dee, and it's a counter outlet for the Chok Chai Steakhouse chain. Tried the burgers both at their restaurant and Paragon locales, and never felt the desire to go back (at least for their burgers).

--I've been meaning to try Fatty's near Rama 9, and have heard good things. But last time I checked, they're only open from late afternoon on, no lunch service.

--As for Sunrise Tacos, the first burger of theirs I tried at their Suk Soi 12 branch was surprisingly good. So I tried another at their Terminal 21 branch, and it was exceptionally bad, as was a follow-up try at Suk Soi 12. So they're kind of off my burger list.

I don't often get along to Soi 38 but the one time I had a wander I had a look at the burgers....look kinda sloppy style and I would say just what a burger should be....not one of those stack em high adventures which ends up all over your plate but needs a knife and fork.

Will try it soon I guess.

500 Baht for a burger I agree is a lot....even the place in Pattanakan 30 is around 280-330 which is decent price given the meat quality IMHO.....and about the top reasonable price limit.

Carl's Jr for me.thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7pbAk

Had a Carl's Jr. hamburger at Soi 3 & Sukhumvit Rd. on a Fri., buy one get one free.

Worst hamburger I ever had!

I gave them away to the motorbike taxis.

hmm I eat at the one at midtown plaza on asoke near my office. Never had that buy 1 get 1 but I do always go for the big carl which to my mind is the best fast food burger you can find here, followed by bk and a distant 3rd would be ronnies.

A bit off topic, but the shakes at carl's are as very good in my opinion. thick.

Bully's pub does a real good burger, but not cheap. Burger fries coke was $425 baht, last year.

Firehouse- it was my gals first burger, I went there on a recommendation . Again, very good, had the bacon and Wisconsin cheddar. But again very expensive. 2 burgers, fries each, and we split a water. $720 baht.

I love my burgers, both places were really top notch, but damn were they expensive.

I don't pay these prices in the west. Ouch!

The best burger in Bangkok is at Daniel Thaiger's food truck, but as posters indicate you have to stand in line on the street and he only makes them for a few hours in the evening. His chairs and tables leave a lot to be desired, and eating on the street is hot, dusty, and unsanitary. Talking only about the food, his "Steve" burger is his crowning glory, and it is outstanding. Make sure that you order double, even triple cheddar. He uses excellent cheese, but I do not like it when it melts into nonexistence. I want to taste it. So I always order more.

The easy solution for Daniel Thaiger would be to also offer a delivery service for his burgers, as he does for his breakfast burritos. If I could order a "Steve" from Daniel Thaiger customized to taste for delivery, I would probably do it once a week at minimum. Digressing for a moment to talk about his breakfast burritos, I called yesterday morning for a delivery, and no one answered their phones. It was early and I was hungry, so I ended up ordering off the McDelivery website. I like the McDonald's sausage and the hash browns. :) Having the option to order McDonald's for delivery over the internet at 0300 is glorious.

I ate at that Argentinian restaurant a couple of years ago. I remember paying 8,000+ baht for dinner for myself and three little girls and I never went back. They struck me as arrogant. It takes some balls to charge 8,000 baht for a steak that barely compares to what you can get at the Marriott or the Millennium Hilton. It never occurred to me to order a burger there. I will go back and try it out. I do not mind paying 500 baht for a burger, if the burger is worth 500 baht. I am skeptical, but a good burger is an important thing for me, and I would love to love the burger regardless of cost. So I will give them a try. I do not think that I will ever again be persuaded to order steak there. It is just too pricey. If I want to spend money, I will go to the Millennium Hilton and order prime rib. That is a repast.

A friend of mine insists that the burger at Hard Rock Cafe is the best burger in Thailand. I never get over to that neighborhood, I avoid Siam, so I have not tested his thesis. I will bump it up on my list of things to do. Need to get some Hard Rock swag anyway.

The Roadhouse burger is pretty good. I also like his chili. Not as good as Daniel Thaiger, but you can order a Roadhouse burger via Food by Phone or Panda or ChefsXP. The Roadhouse burger is actually best at the annual Fourth of July Party thrown by the American Embassy. Just a couple months from now. Time sure is flying.

The Sizzler burger is edible. It is not elite. I find Sizzler burger quality inconsistent, sometimes decent, sometimes the beef can be gristly. No faster way to lose me as a customer than to include gristle in my beef patty. The Thai do not appear to realize that gristle is not food. I think that the Sizzler salad bar is ok, I like eating spaghetti there with their chicken bolognese sauce. Like the soups, spaghetti is included in the salad bar. If you are skint, you can load up on rabbit food and fruit and fill up the edges with spaghetti and soups, and it is cheap. I go to the Sizzler at Grand Central PraRam 9.

Doug's burger at Bourbon Street is not a contender for me, mostly because I do not think that he really tried to make the best burger in Bangkok. I wish that he would. His location is inconvenient on Thonglor, but you can order his food via Food by Phone and ChefsXP. If somebody sees him, please ask him to push boundaries a bit and create a new menu item, a gourmet burger. I would love to see him try it. The Bourbon Street burger is ok, but the thing that Doug does that no one else does is he makes sausage gravy, SOS (shit on a shingle), or maybe it is chipped beef, for breakfast. I drown a cheese omelet with it. I used to eat SOS every morning when I was in uniform and I miss the hell out of it. Weirdly, his SOS is not available for delivery on ChefsXP, as I recall, not sure about Food by Phone. To wrap up Bourbon Street, the other thing that Doug does great is he sells awesome turkeys and the trimmings at Christmas time and Thanksgiving. I wish that he would offer it year round. I do not mind spending 8,000 baht for a big turkey and all accoutrements. Yes, I am crazy.

I got to endorse those who mention Burger King. Amazingly, I think that the Double Whopper with Cheese and Bacon is a worthy contender, and at 220 baht (? been awhile) it is priced ok. My beef with Burger King is that they only deliver in a limited area, and they flat refuse to send me a burger up in Huaykwang. If Burger King delivered to Huaykwang, I would probably order from them once a week. I wish that Food by Phone, ChefsXP or Panda would strike a deal with Burger King. When Burger King offers a Swiss burger, it is generally very good.

The Carl's Jr burger is ok. Not the best, it is a step behind the Burger King Double Whopper, but the advantage that Carl's Jr has is they deliver throughout Bangkok via ChefsXP. They also often offer a deal where they send a burger and a chicken sandwich for 200 baht. That is a steal, even though the chicken sandwich is just palatable. The burger purchased separately is 220 baht. So you get it for 20 baht less with the chicken sandwich. Decent. I do not love the chili at Carl's. I will order it drowning french fries when I am cheating on my no carb diet. The Carl's burger is not my favorite by far in Bangkok, but I end up eating them just because I can order delivery online.

The Firehouse burger is ok, but it is pricey. They have several burger options, but I always order the expensive one. It is ok. It is available for delivery via ChefsXP. I have not been in the actual Firehouse restaurant itself in a couple of years, I went there right after they first opened, but I remember that he served all you can eat dill pickles. His pickles were glorious.

Finally, about the gentleman who mentioned Fatty's. Fatty's is *not* "200 meters from the MRT," as he claimed. This is my big gripe with Fatty's: his location. To get there, you have to take a taxi from across the street from Fortune at Grand Central PraRam 9 on Ratchada, then turn right onto PraRam 9, and then take PraRam 9 all the way to Din Daeng. Then you have to u-turn and go back the way that you just came on PraRam 9, and you have to really watch for his small sign on the left. You can easily miss it and overshoot. There is no easy way to get to Fatty's, and this is a problem. It is more like two klicks from the MRT. Saying that it is "200 meters" from the MRT is delusional, and I want some of whatever he is smoking.

Fatty's actual establishment is idiosyncratic. I have not been there in the flesh in some time, so I will cut this aspect short. The last time that I went there the chairs were uncomfortable, it was very small, it was hot, and there was only one couch area. On the plus side, he had John Prine on the jukebox, and his red house wine is good. I am pretty sure that he gets it at 7-11, it has a screw top, but it is a good house red, and it is cheap. It compensated for the rough shophouse.

Now. About the Fatty's burger. It is pretty good. It is not as good as Daniel Thaiger's "Steve," but it is a contender. Matthew, the proprietor of Fatty's, knows his business, and that is making comfort foods. I think what Matthew does better than anyone else in Bangkok is he uses the ingredients that are available here and he puts them together to achieve an American cuisine that has few rivals. His burger is a contender, and as a burger connoisseur I rate it a notch behind the Daniel Thaiger "Steve."

Fatty's makes the best Reuben in Bangkok. This is a bold statement, but I stand by it. i just ate one for breakfast. He makes a decent cheesesteak, but for those who have eaten at Pat's and Geno's in Philly, he will just make you homesick for the real deal. Matthew makes a great sausage platter. My girls devour it. You have to order extra sauerkraut, though, and you have to ensure that you emphasize that you want a *tub* of sauerkraut, not just a couple of extra cups. The serving size of a cup is like a tablespoon. Please. His kraut is superb.

Before I forget. When you order a Fatty's Reuben or a cheesesteak you need to ensure that you order them with extra meat and cheese. The cheesesteak is priced at 175 baht, and extra meat and cheese runs another 70 baht. I do not mind paying more to get more. The Reuben costs 180 baht, and extra meat and cheese another 70 baht. I am looking right at my receipt from last night's order. Some may consider these prices high, but I do not. He makes the best Reuben in Bangkok. End of story.

Matthew also includes tasty dill pickle spears, and I do not know where he gets them, but they have obviously been steeped in a brine that includes Thai chili. They are spicy to the taste, and excellent. I wish that Matthew would sell these dill pickles by the jar. I also wish that Matthew would make a grandma style potato salad, deviled eggs, and an asparagus casserole. It has been years since I at like that at my Nana Jean's. The next time that someone talks to Matthew, please put the bug in his ear.

The Fatty's burger is a contender, but I place it on par with the Roadhouse burger, behind the Daniel Thaiger "Steve." You can get Fatty's food for delivery, but it is not a smooth process. He used to offer online ordering through his page on Facebook, but I tried to order that way last night and it was not available. So I called Matthew. He was not answering his phones, and I do not blame him, because I am a picky customer and I bully him into delivering to me up in Huaykwang. So I spoke to someone else. It took me ten minutes to place the order, and I started to get disgruntled, but in the end analysis I got a Fatty's cheesesteak and a Reuben delivered with a sausage platter and something that they call a WiPi.

The WiPi is a simple slice of hash browns, doused in chili and cheese. It is ok, but the real reason to deal with Fatty's bad location is his Reuben, his cheesesteak, his burger and his sausage platter. Oh. And his wings. His wings can be sublime. You need to exercise care with the hot version, however. His sauce can burn your tongue clean out of your mouth. You need a milkshake or cold milk for sure.

Sorry for the length of this. To make it clear, this is how I rank burgers in Bangkok at this time.

1. The Daniel Thaiger "Steve." No delivery option. Bad location, uncomfortable venue. But the best burger, when ordered with extra cheddar.

2. Burger King Double Whopper with Cheese and bacon. Consistently good, a great burger for the price (220 baht?), widely available at multiple store locations. Poor delivery options.

3. Fatty's house burger. A good burger, a worthy contender. Inconvenient location, somewhat uncomfortable venue, so-so delivery options. As I said, I have to use jedi mind tricks to get Fatty's to deliver to me up in Huaykwang. But they do it, and I am thankful.

4. Roadhouse and Firehouse. Both make a decent burger. Both can readily be ordered via ChefsXP.

5. Sizzler and Bourbon Street. Sizzler is only available in their restaurant locations. Bourbon Street can be ordered via ChefsXP. The Bourbon Street burger is small, compared to the others here.

6. Carl's Jr. Good value for the money, when you can buy a Double Western, I think that they call it, with a chicken sandwich for 200 baht. Widely available for delivery via ChefsXP.

I think that this covers burgers in Bangkok. I will try that Argentinian place's 500 baht burger, and the burger at Hard Rock, and update.

forget all this crap about best burgers, have some spare ribs and chips from Hanrahans in soi 4 you will forget about burgers, a real meal not a dam snack and same price, christ who pays £14 for 2 burgers and a coke ??

230 munchies smokes? May I hazard a suggestion and head over to the western food section and the 4,122 page topic associated with said request for some light reading?

Looking for an up to date reply James....anyway aren't you busy in the gym these days? biggrin.png

Lets get one thing straight matey, just because I go to the gym don't mean I don't eat beef. Au Contraire mes amis, I like a good burger now and again..

There are the usual suspects, Bangkok Burger, Pullman G, Carl's, too many to list but so much is down to personal taste.

Where's the beef you might ask? (or not). Wendy took it home with her 16 years ago. Beetroot from downunder - get that <deleted> purple thing off my burger and put it in the salad. Fusion wasabi and topped with faux grass - you can keep it along with your Japanese Pizza you chimp-pansey.

A real burger contains two things in my opinion - good old ground chuck / charles or charlie from North America - preferrably from the north of it, and some quality chedder. the more the bedder.

But tis a can o worms you open once again to which I will leave you with one piece of advice, for those who are about to dine - I salute you....

I also favour cheddar....but I like it somewhat melted on top....onions I don't mind....but not fried preferably.

One thing it seems no one in Bangkok gets right is the bun....and that's an essential part of a great burger.

So....where is the best burger?

The Pub on Soi 04, American place, best burgers in town, each once made from scratch juicy with American cheese.

I'd like to think of myself as a burger enthusiast, and the best burgers I've had in 2015 are:

- Garage @ All Seasons Place: Consistently good; whenever I've ordered it medium, it comes as medium.

- Margarita Storm @ Soi 13; Although this is an offshoot of Sunrise Tacos, the burger was excellent (I think it was the Wagyu Beef Burger)

In all seriousness, the best burger I've ever had was at Duke's in Chiang Mai; absolutely fantastic.

The White Plate cafe (also in Chiang Mai) would be a close second.

Interesting to see some of the comments on higher-priced burgers. Personally I don't mind paying a premium for a good burger. If I'm going to consume that amount of calories and fat, I want to make sure the taste is worth it.

Well, if you don't mind the drive, the Hilton EDGE serves up some mean cheeseburgers on Wednesdays as it is meat day.....you put on your own fixings and away you go.....best beef I've had in LOS....they must grind their own??

I go for the burger without the bun and after go face down in the dessert buffet....?

post-53398-0-45600700-1427866347_thumb.j

post-53398-0-93671000-1427866370_thumb.j

Well, if you don't mind the drive, the Hilton EDGE serves up some mean cheeseburgers on Wednesdays as it is meat day.....you put on your own fixings and away you go.....best beef I've had in LOS....they must grind their own??

I go for the burger without the bun and after go face down in the dessert buffet....?

Looks more like you threw up on the plate.

The other day here, I was joking (derisively) about what I called the 500 baht hamburgers at El Gaucho's steak house near Terminal 21...

But now, I'm here to confess and say: I WAS WRONG!!!

In truth, they're NOT 500 baht at all. In truth, the cheapest hamburger they serve is 690 baht, and when you add in the mandatory 10% service charge and 7% VAT, that gets you to just above 800 baht -- for their cheapest burger. And then there are several higher priced versions from there.

So, I just want to say, I'm SORRY, for UNDER-pricing the burgers there. Won't make the same mistake again. wai2.gif

http://elgaucho.asia/thailand/wp-content/uploads/Food_Menu_Thailand_30092014.pdf

post-58284-0-62579000-1427978539_thumb.j

Meanwhile, several folks here have mentioned the Burger Kings in Thailand. In my own case, I really don't know what to make of them.

I was always a big fan of Burger King burgers back in the States. But here in Thailand, I've tried Whoppers at several different locations around BKK (Silom Rd., Paragon, Nana, etc.) and all of them have been awful -- what seemed like microwaved, tasteless burgers, a meager shred of soggy lettuce, smeared with catsup and mayo. Tasted like they'd been sitting around on a heat shelf for the better part of the day.

The one exception to that I ran into was, surprisingly, on a recent international flight out, I stopped at the Burger King at Suvarnabhumi and was served a Whopper that pretty much resembled what I would have expected to have received in the U.S. -- a fresh tasting burger, a good, crisp portion of lettuce, a fresh large slice of tomato, decent bun, etc etc.

The difference between the airport burger and the ones at the regular BK outlets around town, at least in my experience, is like night vs day.

The other day here, I was joking (derisively) about what I called the 500 baht hamburgers at El Gaucho's steak house near Terminal 21...

But now, I'm here to confess and say: I WAS WRONG!!!

In truth, they're NOT 500 baht at all. In truth, the cheapest hamburger they serve is 690 baht, and when you add in the mandatory 10% service charge and 7% VAT, that gets you to just above 800 baht -- for their cheapest burger. And then there are several higher priced versions from there.

So, I just want to say, I'm SORRY, for UNDER-pricing the burgers there. Won't make the same mistake again. wai2.gif

http://elgaucho.asia/thailand/wp-content/uploads/Food_Menu_Thailand_30092014.pdf

attachicon.gifPS0393.jpg

I wonder if we'll ever see a pic and review of one....that's the most expensive burger I've ever heard of....for the size anyway.

Burgers in Soi Cowboy are not bad if you are pissed and in need of a bit of energy.

I am actually being serious I remember it was a good burger. Was very suprised.

Somewhere to take the wife and kids or try and impress a new girl with a burger shop you know.

If thats not your thing.. Paper Butter is really good. +1

I wonder if we'll ever see a pic and review of one....that's the most expensive burger I've ever heard of....for the size anyway.

If I recall right, when the place first opened and in a prior burgers thread here, there were folks who tried the burger and posted that they thought it was good. But I'm not sure if here were any photos posted.

Whether they thought it was that good to deserve the price, or, because they'd just spent 700-800 baht to buy it, I couldn't say.

Suffice to say, for me, I don't know what ANYONE could do with a hamburger that would make me want to spend 800 baht to eat it. Spending that much to get a really good steak cut, I can get behind. But for a ground beef sandwich???

PS - Here's one/some photos... Doesn't look like much to me...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g293916-d3443368-i97050425-El_Gaucho_Argentinian_Steakhouse-Bangkok.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g293916-d3443368-i87281026-El_Gaucho_Argentinian_Steakhouse-Bangkok.html#85846764

Archived