Best Burger in Bangkok 2015......

smokie36

For me, Carl's Jr. is my burger favorite in Bangkok.

I had one on my last trip at the Nana branch.. I was disappointed.. Was like a lump of warmed up river mud.. Fries were good though.

It's always strange how people's perceptions and/or experiences differ.

The Nana branch is the one where I usually go when I'm looking to eat Carl's. And, in probably a dozen or more burgers I've had there over the past couple years, and a similar number for my wife eating with me, I don't think we've ever had a bad one there.

I did also eat at their Silom branch a couple times when the chain first opened in its current incarnation, and most were good. But I did get a funky tasting burger there at Silom one time that I left behind. But that was a one-time exception that, thus far, I haven't had repeated with them.

I'll usually order the jalapeno burger and the wife typically has the Big Carl burger (go figure...) and both menu items at Nana have been pretty consistent -- at least for us.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if we'll ever see a pic and review of one....that's the most expensive burger I've ever heard of....for the size anyway.

If I recall right, when the place first opened and in a prior burgers thread here, there were folks who tried the burger and posted that they thought it was good. But I'm not sure if here were any photos posted.

Whether they thought it was that good to deserve the price, or, because they'd just spent 700-800 baht to buy it, I couldn't say.

Suffice to say, for me, I don't know what ANYONE could do with a hamburger that would make me want to spend 800 baht to eat it. Spending that much to get a really good steak cut, I can get behind. But for a ground beef sandwich???

PS - Here's one/some photos... Doesn't look like much to me...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g293916-d3443368-i97050425-El_Gaucho_Argentinian_Steakhouse-Bangkok.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g293916-d3443368-i87281026-El_Gaucho_Argentinian_Steakhouse-Bangkok.html#85846764

I've never been to Gaucho's....I don't mind dropping 5k on a meal but it had better be value for money.

That burger doesn't scream out anything at all.

I wonder if we'll ever see a pic and review of one....that's the most expensive burger I've ever heard of....for the size anyway.

If I recall right, when the place first opened and in a prior burgers thread here, there were folks who tried the burger and posted that they thought it was good. But I'm not sure if here were any photos posted.

Whether they thought it was that good to deserve the price, or, because they'd just spent 700-800 baht to buy it, I couldn't say.

Suffice to say, for me, I don't know what ANYONE could do with a hamburger that would make me want to spend 800 baht to eat it. Spending that much to get a really good steak cut, I can get behind. But for a ground beef sandwich???

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g293916-d3443368-i97050425-El_Gaucho_Argentinian_Steakhouse-Bangkok.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g293916-d3443368-i87281026-El_Gaucho_Argentinian_Steakhouse-Bangkok.html#85846764

I've never been to Gaucho's....I don't mind dropping 5k on a meal but it had better be value for money.

1K on food, 1K on drink, 2K on company and 1K accommodation?

1K on food, 1K on drink, 2K on company and 1K accommodation?

Pardon?

I have company and accommodation.

And I would never waste 1k on food.....4.5k on drinks seems a tad light too. :D

I had a rare burger at Gaucho in Asoke. It was the best burger Ive had in my whole life. But im not from a burger country so I havnt sampled much burgers, not counting the fast food branch restaurants like McD and Burger King.

The difference in price and quality lies within the meat itself. Good burgers are made from bovine that have been grain fed at least one year before slaughter. In Thailand cows are fed all kinds of stuff, resulting in poor meat. The meat for a good burger has to be imported from a trusted farmer, hence the high price. Fast food burgers like McD, BK, or Carl's use local meat which helps keep the cost down. To have a truly good burger you need to find a restaurant which serves imported meat, they usually advertise the source of their meat.

The difference in price and quality lies within the meat itself. Good burgers are made from bovine that have been grain fed at least one year before slaughter. In Thailand cows are fed all kinds of stuff, resulting in poor meat. The meat for a good burger has to be imported from a trusted farmer, hence the high price. Fast food burgers like McD, BK, or Carl's use local meat which helps keep the cost down. To have a truly good burger you need to find a restaurant which serves imported meat, they usually advertise the source of their meat.

interesting but I have a observation. One of the fast food outlets you listed clearly states that their beef come from Australia. Come to think of it, if you look close enough you might find they all do...

McDonalds/Carls/BK all use patties that contain ammonia

If its not fresh ground its not a burger

If its not 100% beef its not a burger

and yet billions of people around the world don't seem to care lol

That's because the average person thinks: McDonalds/Carls/BK = America, if it's American food it must be good. I doubt the average Thai eats 300thb burgers.

It isn't cheap but the "The Burger" (the original) at the Hard Rock Cafe is very good (and huge, I might add).

If you don't want to spend that much, the burger at No Idea Gastropub on Suk soi 22 is also very good.

Just had a cheeseburger at the No Idea. 300thb for a big portion of good quality beef imported from NZ. Suk 22 really has some of the best burgers in Bangkok: Bangkok Betty, No Idea, and New Cowboy.

It isn't cheap but the "The Burger" (the original) at the Hard Rock Cafe is very good (and huge, I might add).

If you don't want to spend that much, the burger at No Idea Gastropub on Suk soi 22 is also very good.

Just had a cheeseburger at the No Idea. 300thb for a big portion of good quality beef imported from NZ. Suk 22 really has some of the best burgers in Bangkok: Bangkok Betty, No Idea, and New Cowboy.

How is the bun there? what kinda cheese?

That's because the average person thinks: McDonalds/Carls/BK = America, if it's American food it must be good. I doubt the average Thai eats 300thb burgers.

Are you for real?

American food it must be good

America has the worst obesity problems in the world

Because of all the low quality food full of fat

interesting but I have a observation. One of the fast food outlets you listed clearly states that their beef come from Australia. Come to think of it, if you look close enough you might find they all do...

Carls Jr. Thailand, since they opened here, has always said they use 100% imported Australian beef.

I can't say I recall ever hearing/reading where McD and BK Thailand source their beef.

Carls Jr. Thailand, since they opened here, has always said they use 100% imported Australian beef.

I can't say I recall ever hearing/reading where McD and BK Thailand source their beef.

I think that's pretty evident in the taste in that the beef in Carls Jr in Thailand taste significantly better than BK and no comparison with McD. IMO, BK is closer to Carls but not at the same level. I suppose there is no way to know what kind of mystery meat is in McDonald's given the volume and price point they sell at.

The buns were the fresh, covered in sesame and just the right size. I'm not an expert in cheese though so I dunno.

Are you for real?

American food it must be good

America has the worst obesity problems in the world

Because of all the low quality food full of fat

American food is "western" food and much more expensive, hence the Thai's think this is a treat for them. It's the equivalent of an American in the US ordering Chinese takeaway thinking this is "authentic" Chinese food.

The buns were the fresh, covered in sesame and just the right size. I'm not an expert in cheese though so I dunno.

The burgers are advertised as 200g and I'm relatively certain the cheese is gouda. Good burger.

Hi John, if you look closely at the BK menu board in store, I seem to recall whoppers etc have an australian beef type symbol on them.

I still love the one with bacon and blue cheese at the Roadhouse (corner of Surawonge)...BUT...there is a new champion in town, called The Smokin' Pug, by the Tawana Hotel on Surawong!

They are just excellent!

Ask for the Ginger BBQ- sauce!

Hi John, if you look closely at the BK menu board in store, I seem to recall whoppers etc have an australian beef type symbol on them.

Been looking for this. Can anybody show us by uploading a photo? I haven't seen it even though one would expect this to be a big ad.

Oh and what kind of burgers do the Japanese have at Mos Burger?

Here's one BK Thailand ad image that shows the imported Australian beef logo.

I've never noticed that before in looking at their store menus, so I don't know if it applies to all their burgers or just some.

Their delivery menus/advertisements here don't seem to make any mention of it at all.

post-58284-0-33268400-1428344910_thumb.j

And a similar recent ad for their Whopper:

post-58284-0-38343000-1428345134_thumb.j

In 2008 I got dragged to HRC buy a guy who "Doesn't eat Thai food".

"The Burger" was inedible, and internationally priced.

Lol 7 years ago,,,I wonder how many inedible burgers they have sold since then.

My experience of a couple of weeks ago was different (obviously) but no quarrel on the pricing. Then again, most Western style food is "internationally priced" in Thailand though HRC takes it to a new level.

My experience of a couple of weeks ago was different (obviously) but no quarrel on the pricing. Then again, most Western style food is "internationally priced" in Thailand though HRC takes it to a new level.

I got dragged in there for a drink one afternoon....thank gawd I didn't get a burger....or have to fork out for the astronomical bill.

Never set foot inside again.

Edit: All of the cocktails were sickly sweet....ugh!

Anyone had the Wagyu burger at 'Another Greyhound' Emporium (used to be Greyhound, its now renovated with a new menu).

I like the Burgers at Garage (All Seasons Place) but never really felt the urge to go there specifically for the burger.

However, I found the Waguy Burger at 'Another Greyhound' excellent and found myself making a specific visit to Emporium just for the Burger.

Its not Big and its 590 Baht ++ and thus expensive - But when I want the 'Best Burger' I want the 'Best Burger' not 'a good Burger for the price'

After reading this thread I'd like to try the Soi 38 burger van and see how that compares

Archived