'Undesirables' rounded-up by Police on Pattaya Beach

webfact

Undesirable is a nasty little word, a slur. Specify illegal behaviors you're after and have a trial before punishment.

A secondary note . . . Shouldn't they be paying these undesirable folks for drawing tourists to Pattaya?

It would be interesting to see if a farang-initiated "community conversation" could be had about such matters. What would the police do? Declare it illegal (can't talk about stuff)? heheheh!

I have this image of them retreating Southwards as the police moved and a crowd forming at the pier to the beer garden and them falling lemming like into the sea.

Not much of a haul there, usually more than that hanging around the steps.

could have at least pee tested them to see how undesirable they actually were

yeah, blood tests and everything

but seriously, 100 baht? I reckon they wouldn't prevent them from being undesirable even if they charged them 1000 baht

I'd be like 100 baht first time, 1000 second time, 2000 third time, fourth time some jail time or make them fight professional muay thai fighters or something.

they could sell some tickets to that.

Some Crackers should never have left the Bible Belt.

• Like 1

Policing 101. Do a round up and fine those detained a massive Bt. 100 for being ' undesirables '. Who decides what an undesirable is other then the BIB at the time ?

Will the PM be giving out ' rewards ' for another excellent piece of police work ?

Who decides what an undesirable is ?

Be patient- you will find out when you get arrested for asking these questions...

Guess 100 THB is the registration fee for a freelancer, bar girls are already registered.

There is one big problem for Thailand, and obviously nobody really wants to talk about that.

The problem is AIDS, and the demand of Farangs for unprotected sex.

Quite a few elderly Farangs make a simple calculation:

The life expectancy of an AIDS patient is increasing, getting longer than my personal life expectancy, so why should I care about AIDS?

Quite a few Farangs make no calculation at all because they're too drunk.

They might be coming back to Thailand next year, and then there's a risk of AIDS being re-imported to Thailand.

Edited by micmichd

Each detainee was fined the sum of 100 Baht and then sent on their way, presumably to carry on with whatever they were doing before they were picked-up by Police.

Looks like the tea money is a bit slow this month....

If they really wanted to clear the hookers from beach road, they should start arresting their customers.

If potential customers were made aware looking for a cheap thrill at the coconut bar could lead to arrest, a few hours at the police station and the possibility of their face being shown in a news story on the internet, there would be less demand. If there was less demand there would be less supply.

Of course this will never happen.

Actually not. If there was less demand, the prices would fall. Basic economics, supply and demand cost curve. And when the prices fall, the demand would pick up again (only more covertly). Naturally, if the prices fall too low, then the supply would decrease (as it wouldn't be worthwhile to offer a cheap thrill for satangs) and if the demand stays constant the prices would rise again.

Oh, what fun...

Basic economics and commonsense does not prevail in Thailand. The girls would likely put their prices UP to counteract falling numbers.

It has happened before and it also applies to unsold property.

Economically, there's 2 parts in sevices: the supplier and the customer.

Farangs don't have so many THB now because of Euro crisis. So they have to save somewhere. Where?

Drink less alcohol? Don't expect this from alcoholics.

Cut down sexual contacts - or make it cheaper? Conclusions up to the well-appreciated reader...

If they really wanted to clear the hookers from beach road, they should start arresting their customers.

If potential customers were made aware looking for a cheap thrill at the coconut bar could lead to arrest, a few hours at the police station and the possibility of their face being shown in a news story on the internet, there would be less demand. If there was less demand there would be less supply.

Of course this will never happen.

Actually not. If there was less demand, the prices would fall. Basic economics, supply and demand cost curve. And when the prices fall, the demand would pick up again (only more covertly). Naturally, if the prices fall too low, then the supply would decrease (as it wouldn't be worthwhile to offer a cheap thrill for satangs) and if the demand stays constant the prices would rise again.

Oh, what fun...

Basic economics and commonsense does not prevail in Thailand. The girls would likely put their prices UP to counteract falling numbers.

It has happened before and it also applies to unsold property.

You are correct. This is the one point that is simply mind boggling and knocks many of us off our chairs when we run into it.

So Khun Chai, your company is 20% behind projected revenue for sales of your product ... what are your plans?

"We have doubled the price and revised our forecast for a record sales year."

I have expereinced this so many times ... and each time ... it is nearly impossible to hide the look on my face. I guess sitting there with my jaw hanging open shaking my head is sort of a give away. 555

Has this "sweep" ever happened before? Was it effective? Or just done for "happiness of Thai peoples" (and the media)? whistling.gif

(cynical comment - for those whose first language is not English)

Edited by lvr181

I'm shocked, they found prostitutes. Oh well 100 baht fine and back to work. They probably appreciated the break anyway.

I am shocked the police mentioned that 18yo undesirbles were there. No doubt sex monger perverts will be looking for them, taking up space and oxygen on beach rd.

I'm shocked, they found prostitutes. Oh well 100 baht fine and back to work. They probably appreciated the break anyway.

And I was wondering why "rates" have been increasing lately........giggle.gif

Amazing. Undesirables are Thai. That's a first and it's about time. Ripping off people, taking their cash, passports, in general, exploiting tourists does not bring money into the country. I'm surprised it took them so long to figure that out.

Although I don't participate, I see no harm in prostitutes only standing and hoping to be approached for business.

This won't be popular with some posters, but I really do believe that prostitution helps prevent rapes. It should be legal

as long as no one is getting hurt, and no underage girls taking part, or trafficking of any kind is going on.

• Like 1