'Undesirables' rounded-up by Police on Pattaya Beach

webfact

If they really wanted to clear the hookers from beach road, they should start arresting their customers.

If potential customers were made aware looking for a cheap thrill at the coconut bar could lead to arrest, a few hours at the police station and the possibility of their face being shown in a news story on the internet, there would be less demand. If there was less demand there would be less supply.

Of course this will never happen.

Actually not. If there was less demand, the prices would fall. Basic economics, supply and demand cost curve. And when the prices fall, the demand would pick up again (only more covertly). Naturally, if the prices fall too low, then the supply would decrease (as it wouldn't be worthwhile to offer a cheap thrill for satangs) and if the demand stays constant the prices would rise again.

Oh, what fun...

It's people with the mindset of Jay1980 who want to turn countries into dictatorships.

How to suspect someone of doing something before they've done it? Thought police? Then fine them for looking

as if they 'might' do something in the future. What sort of law is this? What sort of reasoning?

What law is there against being a lady boy?

We don't like the look of you. 100baht.

Governments and their agencies are sometimes so out of touch with reality, it is hard to believe.

They should send plain clothes policemen (if they have any that is) in to Beach Road and catch the real crooks, pickpockets and what have you.

• Like 1

Amazing. Undesirables are Thai. That's a first and it's about time. Ripping off people, taking their cash, passports, in general, exploiting tourists does not bring money into the country. I'm surprised it took them so long to figure that out.

Although I don't participate, I see no harm in prostitutes only standing and hoping to be approached for business.

This won't be popular with some posters, but I really do believe that prostitution helps prevent rapes. It should be legal

as long as no one is getting hurt, and no underage girls taking part, or trafficking of any kind is going on.

I agree with most things you say, but can never agree about rapes will be reduced, due to prostitutes. Rape is about power and i wouldn agree on a prozzie being raped either..When night time comes no doubt the atmosphere changes too, but never been the beach side after 5pm, too silly and potentialy dangerous with prostitutes with their pimps and ladyboys, not forgetting the diseases they have

If they really wanted to clear the hookers from beach road, they should start arresting their customers.

If potential customers were made aware looking for a cheap thrill at the coconut bar could lead to arrest, a few hours at the police station and the possibility of their face being shown in a news story on the internet, there would be less demand. If there was less demand there would be less supply.

Actually not. If there was less demand, the prices would fall. Basic economics, supply and demand cost curve. And when the prices fall, the demand would pick up again (only more covertly). Naturally, if the prices fall too low, then the supply would decrease (as it wouldn't be worthwhile to offer a cheap thrill for satangs) and if the demand stays constant the prices would rise again.

Oh, what fun...

It's people with the mindset of Jay1980 who want to turn countries into dictatorships.

Too late, already happening, and i agree with Jay, only if they are serious about getting these prostitutes off the beach rd, but will never happen.

Amazing. Undesirables are Thai. That's a first and it's about time. Ripping off people, taking their cash, passports, in general, exploiting tourists does not bring money into the country. I'm surprised it took them so long to figure that out.

Although I don't participate, I see no harm in prostitutes only standing and hoping to be approached for business.

This won't be popular with some posters, but I really do believe that prostitution helps prevent rapes. It should be legal

as long as no one is getting hurt, and no underage girls taking part, or trafficking of any kind is going on.

I agree with most things you say, but can never agree about rapes will be reduced, due to prostitutes. Rape is about power and i wouldn agree on a prozzie being raped either..When night time comes no doubt the atmosphere changes too, but never been the beach side after 5pm, too silly and potentialy dangerous with prostitutes with their pimps and ladyboys, not forgetting the diseases they have

Thanks for the kind words Bernard, but if prostitution stopped, all the losers, ugly guys who are not wealthy and can't get it off with normal girls, will have to find some way of satisfying their urges somehow.

could have at least pee tested them to see how undesirable they actually were

yeah, blood tests and everything

but seriously, 100 baht? I reckon they wouldn't prevent them from being undesirable even if they charged them 1000 baht

I'd be like 100 baht first time, 1000 second time, 2000 third time, fourth time some jail time or make them fight professional muay thai fighters or something.

they could sell some tickets to that.

I like your thinking, in the US, it is 3 strikes and you are out for certain low level crimes........

I thought this was going to be a report about removing overweight tourists in speedos from the beach.

And anyone wearing sandals with black socks.

Only desirable tourists should be allowed on Thai beaches.

• Like 1

Has this "sweep" ever happened before? Was it effective? Or just done for "happiness of Thai peoples" (and the media)? whistling.gif

(cynical comment - for those whose first language is not English)

The same 50 Ladyboys get rounded up every time the police commander feels pressure to "do something" to make a news story.

In fact they could double or triple productivity - Ladyboys with ID card numbers ending in 1,3,5,7,9 can be rounded up on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, which Ladyboys with ID Card numbers ending in 2,4,6,8 can be rounded up on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Sundays day off for everyone, and ID cards ending in "0" can be rounded up on any day, especially national holidays and auspicious dates.

At least people can plan their time more effectively. Nice to have a timetable and some predictability?

Thanks for the kind words Bernard, but if prostitution stopped, all the losers, ugly guys who are not wealthy and can't get it off with normal girls, will have to find some way of satisfying their urges somehow.

not necessarily in Thailand...

Edited by micmichd

I have this image of them retreating Southwards as the police moved and a crowd forming at the pier to the beer garden and them falling lemming like into the sea.

Not much of a haul there, usually more than that hanging around the steps.

Then we'd have illegal fishing from the pier.

Has this "sweep" ever happened before? Was it effective? Or just done for "happiness of Thai peoples" (and the media)? whistling.gif

(cynical comment - for those whose first language is not English)

The same 50 Ladyboys get rounded up every time the police commander feels pressure to "do something" to make a news story.

In fact they could double or triple productivity - Ladyboys with ID card numbers ending in 1,3,5,7,9 can be rounded up on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, which Ladyboys with ID Card numbers ending in 2,4,6,8 can be rounded up on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Sundays day off for everyone, and ID cards ending in "0" can be rounded up on any day, especially national holidays and auspicious dates.

At least people can plan their time more effectively. Nice to have a timetable and some predictability?

You kinda beat me to it. Why is it always 50 undesirables rounded up? Anyone else noticed that? Every time, 50. Maybe Pol Col Sr Sgt Gen Maj Somchai can only count to 50.

Thai effectiveness at its best. No Burmese or Cambodian illegal workers? No street sellers of fake goods? The list of undesirables can be very long...

But presumably you think "undesirable" is code for non-farang? Or should they add in the farang pan-handlers & vagrants and those intoxicated out of their tiny minds?

I'd be interested to know how many of the ladies out there at the moment are even averaging 100 baht a day. I admit that I dont stand there with binos 18 hours a day, but it looks like a train wreck every single time I go past. Far too many girls and boys for far too few customers.

Would you agree that maybe there should be some type of camps, to keep them? I mean, you suggest we start arresting people for no reason.. we need a place to keep them, yes?

• Like 2

Make that fine 10,000 baht.

Put them all on a bus and see how far away that 10,000 baht will take them.

Fine people for what? These people, the so call undesirable, have committed no crime, you realize that, yes?

Harassing Thais on Beach Rd has become some sort of tradition in Pattaya since last winter, what surprises me is how TV Pattaya posters cheer for it. Why, guys? If a quiet retirement home is what you want, why choose to live here?

Everybody here knew what Pattaya is, when we moved here. Yet we loved it! Or were you guys forced in some way? I believe most came voluntarily, yes?

Now that you are here, you scream to clean up sidewalks of everybody, who you do not like! Seems arrogant!

I walk on Beach Rd all the time, day and night most winters. I don't see unhappy foreigners walking on Beach Rd, most by far are happy people.

I would really suggest not cross 2nd Road to people who have given up on life. There are so many deserted, perfectly quiet streets in Pattaya for you to walk! Don't take away my Beach Rd, please! Let it be! Or if local police and Army are determined to close down Pattaya, at least don't cheer on, don't give it standing ovations!

• Like 2

"Undesirables" on Beach Rd? Police action required?

OMG! There are hundreds KILLED annually on the nation's roads with very little action being taken to reduce the road toll. How about some real Police action to address this far greater problem? coffee1.gif Talk about lack of priorities.

• Like 1

could have at least pee tested them to see how undesirable they actually were

yeah, blood tests and everything

but seriously, 100 baht? I reckon they wouldn't prevent them from being undesirable even if they charged them 1000 baht

I'd be like 100 baht first time, 1000 second time, 2000 third time, fourth time some jail time or make them fight professional muay thai fighters or something.

they could sell some tickets to that.

No taxi drivers, no white Russian prostitutes, no Russian pimps or mafia no drug dealers, just bad Thais loitering on the street.

Thainess explained.

Would you agree that maybe there should be some type of camps, to keep them? I mean, you suggest we start arresting people for no reason.. we need a place to keep them, yes?

Actually my personal view is that I would be happy if they arrested no one over the age of concent unless a crime was being committed and instead of the current charade the police used their resources to help those underage and arrest and charge the pedo's who engage their services.

They could then convert the 50 seater paddy wagon to provide a shuttle bus service for guys such as your good self from beach road to bush mountain where I have heard the 'Undesirables' offer even more bang for your baht wink.png

This would not generate as much cash though so I guess this will also never happen.

I was mearly making an observation on the way this issues are dealt with in the west, for that I have been accused of being some kind of Kim Jong Un supporter. Just for the record my avitor is Psy from SOUTH Korea 555

"loitering with intent to commit crime."

Sheer unprofessional conduct and corruption collecting bt100 fines.

Police might as well arrest every tourist on the beaches and wandering through the markets. You never know what's on their minds just loitering.

• Like 1

Guess 100 THB is the registration fee for a freelancer, bar girls are already registered.

There is one big problem for Thailand, and obviously nobody really wants to talk about that.

The problem is AIDS, and the demand of Farangs for unprotected sex.

Quite a few elderly Farangs make a simple calculation:

The life expectancy of an AIDS patient is increasing, getting longer than my personal life expectancy, so why should I care about AIDS?

Quite a few Farangs make no calculation at all because they're too drunk.

They might be coming back to Thailand next year, and then there's a risk of AIDS being re-imported to Thailand.

By that description you suggest Thailand is actually exporting AIDS first.