Tesco better than Villa Market?

themechanic

The villa supermarket at boat lagoon is amazing. They have things that chalong doesn't have.

Good to know as all of those suggesting Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Bangkok are suggesting a journey a bit too far for consumables.

Considering Bangkok traffic and temperatures I am surprised people are recommending shopping around.

I went to 3 places before finding a simple thing like bamboo-shoots (not chopped up) in Pattaya, ending up at Tesco on Nua, I was exhausted.

I went to Villa market in Bangkok and wanted to buy frozen peas, The assistant offered me defrosted peas in a basket outside of the freezer. Asked to see the manager and he did the same. They have no concept of food handling. It is very dangerous to refreeze food. Scary when the manager does not understand this even when explained in Thai

I was once at the Villa at Phaholyothin Soi 8 when the coolant system for the refrigerated displays was broken and what was on the shelves in them was at room temperature. There were no signs stating that the items were not for sale. Who knows how long they sat there before the refrigeration was fixed and everything cooled down again, obviously still for sale.

Another thing that annoys me at Villa is that most of the veggies are wrapped in plastic in an opaque tray. Even bananas sometimes! Apart from the annoyance with all that plastic, I can't count how many times I have gotten at home, only to find that there was mould or a rotten spot on, say, a tomato where it couldn't be seen due to the black plastic tray.

Tinned food and dry goods may be OK at Villa. But I would never buy anything "fresh" there.