BANGKOK 20 February 2019 05:49

Has anyone had any experience with solar powered pumps direct from the borehole?

We bought 1000 coffee plants so that FIL had something with hopefully a little better return than cassava, rubber and rice that they currently grow.

We had a borehole drilled for irrigation in the dry season. FIL pumps from the borehole into a lined pond and then pumps from the pond to the pipe system around the plants. Electric is costing around 1500 to 1600bt per month.

My wife has suggested water tanks so that we pump direct from the borehole to the tanks and then gravity feed the plants. This should reduce the electricity cost hopefully.

We’ve also seen solar powered pumps but not sure of the power required to pump from minus 40-50mtrs to plus 5m above ground.

What is general set up or most cost effective set up for irrigation from the borehole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, MrTrip said:

Has anyone had any experience with solar powered pumps direct from the borehole?

We bought 1000 coffee plants so that FIL had something with hopefully a little better return than cassava, rubber and rice that they currently grow.

We had a borehole drilled for irrigation in the dry season. FIL pumps from the borehole into a lined pond and then pumps from the pond to the pipe system around the plants. Electric is costing around 1500 to 1600bt per month.

My wife has suggested water tanks so that we pump direct from the borehole to the tanks and then gravity feed the plants. This should reduce the electricity cost hopefully.

We’ve also seen solar powered pumps but not sure of the power required to pump from minus 40-50mtrs to plus 5m above ground.

What is general set up or most cost effective set up for irrigation from the borehole?

This was done for a school in Surin about 11k baht. Panel, pump, controller and cage. Company is from Krasang Buriram. https://www.facebook.com/kksolarcell/

image.thumb.png.ed5d0b9bff4e0d7bf792835ab46d5f50.png

image.png.c1e63bdb97490fad095cccea01c55437.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

The pump in this pic will unfortunately burn itself out in no time at all.

He is quit right about the Pump.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

The pump in this pic will unfortunately burn itself out in no time at all.

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

He is quit right about the Pump

The application I used is for info. His water table is only 3 meters and for the use the set up is ok. Slagging it off is typical of this forum. 😥The link I provied will give you a proper company involved. The cost for a deep bore pump and set up is 50K plus. The biggest problem with a solar set up is it growing feet.🤔 IMHO your better off paying the 1600 baht a month power bill.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

The application I used is for info. His water table is only 3 meters and for the use the set up is ok. Slagging it off is typical of this forum. 😥The link I provied will give you a proper company involved. The cost for a deep bore pump and set up is 50K plus. The biggest problem with a solar set up is it growing feet.🤔 IMHO your better off paying the 1600 baht a month power bill.

No slagging at all.Your clearly an enthusiastic armature.Those Pumps dont like back pressure and eventually will jam at TDC. Often burning the motor windings or belts on restart.As you will find out later.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks khwaibah for the information and link. I’ll check it out.

Unfortunately options for all types of equipment available in Thailand often include a lot of cheap and cheerful rubbish. I’m always amazed how FIL manages to repair the stuff.

• Like 1

No slagging at all.Your clearly an enthusiastic armature.Those Pumps dont like back pressure and eventually will jam at TDC. Often burning the motor windings or belts on restart.As you will find out later.

Cheers, I’ll keep that in mind. I know that FIL will never buy the cheapest option. We bought a pump last year and he was quite fussy about getting the right one, Village experience I suppose.

We rented a house a few years ago and the only water supply was from one these pumps, pumping water up from 20 meters, been they a few years and we used it for 2-3 years before we connected to the new local mains, the pump was never a problem , same with the motor ,during the dry season it worked hard water table dropped, had to pump a long time to get any water out, fitting a non-return valve stopped the problem of having to prim the pump often, nothing to burn out, had to replace the springs and valve once, that was due to high calcium deposits in the water, that only cost a few baht ,can not even remember replacing the belt 

The only problem I can see is will it provide enough water pressure for all those sprinklers.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kickstart said:

We rented a house a few years ago and the only water supply was from one these pumps, pumping water up from 20 meters, been they a few years and we used it for 2-3 years before we connected to the new local mains, the pump was never a problem , same with the motor ,during the dry season it worked hard water table dropped, had to pump a long time to get any water out, fitting a non-return valve stopped the problem of having to prim the pump often, nothing to burn out, had to replace the springs and valve once, that was due to high calcium deposits in the water, that only cost a few baht ,can not even remember replacing the belt 

The only problem I can see is will it provide enough water pressure for all those sprinklers.  

It does. After about 2 hours they had to turn the pump off as water was flooding over to another area.

• Like 1