Boreholes

Maizefarmer

Thanks Boksida.

I like the sound of the local guy, not because he is cheaper. In fact when he advises of his per meter price over and above the depth he would go to, I would be happy to pay to go deeper.

He seemed to only want to go as deep as needed, which is good i guess, but is there advantage in going that extra 20m or more than where he recommends to stop ??

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Boksida.

I like the sound of the local guy, not because he is cheaper. In fact when he advises of his per meter price over and above the depth he would go to, I would be happy to pay to go deeper.

He seemed to only want to go as deep as needed, which is good i guess, but is there advantage in going that extra 20m or more than where he recommends to stop ??

No particular reason to go deeper if you have enough water but you may want to ask him what he estimates the standing (or static) water level will be. You need to have a well deep enough that you have good submergence for your pump when installed as the water level in the well goes down when pumping.

What is a good submergance level ??

I asked what was the depth that he would go beyond striking the water level. He repeated something simple he said before re not going more than necessary etc.

20 meters should be good if that is possible as there might be seasonal fluctuations from a shallow aquifer.

• 4 weeks later...

A little current information for those in Sisaket needing a borehole sunk. Neighbour is getting one drilled as I post. 200 baht per metre. Nothing unique about the rig, clapped out 4 wheel cab chassis, iron buffulo engine jerry rigged to a car gearbox and diff, manual chain lift/lower.

IA

Thanks for the info/cost guide aussie. What size bit is used, is plastic pipe included or is this initial borehole cost? What depth did your neighbors well end up at?

I didnt measure it but it was around 4", but when you consider the runout of the rig it was probably cutting a 6 to 8" hole. the plastic pipe was purchased by the neighbour, price for the bore only. The intended depth was 10 metres. Considering the land has been filled in preparation for a house, and the relative height to the klong on my land which currently has about 500mm of water in it, I would guess the bore goes down about 7 metres below the dry season water table mark.

• 1 month later...

Having lived and farmed at my current location for 14 years, I have today finally ordered a company to drill a bore. Turns out I have met the guy before, socially, and we have a very good mutual friend, which may have led to a more favourable price.

Will cost B1,600 per metre for drilling and supply of 6” PVC pipe. The chap used metal divining rods to locate the intersection of two underground water sources. He reckons on at least 3-4,000 litres per hour, which exceeds my requirements of 21,000 litres per day to keep my pond topped-up.

Rgds

Khonwan

• 1 month later...

I have a couple  Orchid nurseries, and on my small one which is  in Nonthaburi, I have a bore that was actually dug by  myself and my wife. Armed with shovels we took turns digging a 4 foot wide bore (lol) ten metres deep......There was absolutely no room to get any decent sized equipment in there so it had to be done....We lined it with the old style concrete tank rings and cemented them in place....No chance of collapsing sides or stuck pump (I have a 2inch submersible that pumps 360 litres per minute at 15 Metres head)....never paid a water bill yet nor had any problems. Cost was very little except for a few beers and having to listen to the Mrs moaning about the blisters lol :D

• 1 year later...

hi all, ill put my bit in on this,

we have to bores, one is near the house at 12mts deep, and the other is near the pigs at 18mts, both give good water all the time, they are 2inch diam at the house we have an hatachi auto pump and at the pigs ive just got one that i plug in when i want water for the pigs and to water the trees, allways give a good strong head of water,

they cost me 5000bht each, and to be honest, i just picked the spot for them and said drill there,

take care jake

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We have lots bad experice to finding the water in India - dont know how is it in Thailand .

The local people here even use a coconut with full water in it then try to find the water undergroud !!! We payed lots money and time to learn it .

Forgot to post results.

We drilled a "small hole". I forget how deep but not very. The rig was pretty hilarious from my perspective as I used to work on drilling rigs. Anyways, he used water to clear the hole, not mud. We ended up with a 4" pipe that pumps water with an iron buffalo set up. Works fine. I cement a nice little platform and put some hilti bolts in to secure the pump rather than jerry-rig wood and stones and nails etc like they do.

Then I could not get a guy to drill on my other two places where I need water. We eventually found a rig that drilled deep wells that would do it. He did not use divining rods, on both pieces he just asked where I wanted it drilled. Cost my 30,000 per hole and I got a 6" hole lined with 5" pipe. These holes are good for sub pumps because you can count on the diameter to your pumping depth whereas with the smaller holes, they often don't run pipe down very far. His policy was also, no water- no pay.

Interesting aspect of this guys rig was that he did not use water. He used a huge air compressor on another rig to blow the hole out. When they hit water, there was a lot of water, but he had no water supply to drill with. Never heard of a set up like this before. He drills 60 metres in a day at 30,000 baht per hole. Not bad eh? He supplies pipe and follows up later to help with purchase and setup of your submersible pump. Over all, pretty happy with his service.

There's the update folks.

smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

I run my 2 hp submersible off a kubota 9hp powered 5kw generator. I am running about 16 hrs per day right now. i am guessing about 8 dollars per day. Maybe slightly less, but not much.

You could probably google specs for either pump (1 or 2 hp) to find your wattage.

D

• 1 month later...

Not sure if that is just relevant to Phuket or not.

Lots of bores around here and I have not heard of any requirement that they be registered.

But then TIT and maybe regulations get ignored

Had mine for over 3 years and not had a visit from any official as yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Antbody know where I can buy a submersible borehole pump in Mahasarakham or close to. Looking for a high head low volume pump as bore only makes about 200 litres per hour. Need to lift about 40m out the hole then another 20m on the flat.

Antbody know where I can buy a submersible borehole pump in Mahasarakham or close to. Looking for a high head low volume pump as bore only makes about 200 litres per hour. Need to lift about 40m out the hole then another 20m on the flat.

200 litres per hour is a trickle. Maybe you need to have a better hole drilled. The small 3" , 1 1/2 hp sub pump I just bought pumps at 40 ltrs per minute.

200 litres per hour is a trickle. Maybe you need to have a better hole drilled. The small 3" , 1 1/2 hp sub pump I just bought pumps at 40 ltrs per minute.

I have 2 holes down so far and best water is about 200 liters per hour. Both contractors returned my deposits as they did not make the agreed guaranteed flow rates. I can no longer get anyone to come drill - pretty obvious there is no real water however I do wish to put a pump down the one hole as even 200 liters at the moment may just keep my fish alive. We have given up on the crops, trees and flowers already.

I have 2 holes down so far and best water is about 200 liters per hour. Both contractors returned my deposits as they did not make the agreed guaranteed flow rates. I can no longer get anyone to come drill - pretty obvious there is no real water however I do wish to put a pump down the one hole as even 200 liters at the moment may just keep my fish alive. We have given up on the crops, trees and flowers already.

I think you'll burn up a sub pump and surface pumps won't pull from that depth. I don't know of any other options. How do you know you are getting 200 lph?? Are you currently pumping this out? and what are you using?

I think you'll burn up a sub pump and surface pumps won't pull from that depth. I don't know of any other options. How do you know you are getting 200 lph?? Are you currently pumping this out? and what are you using?

Had a submersible pump in the hole for a while but the contractor took it away when he returned the deposit. I cannot really ask him where to get a pump as it would look remakably like I did it all to get a free hole.

Have you tried Thai Pipat in Khon Kaen? They always used to have submersible pumps in stock, but I have not shopped there for pumps for a couple of years.

The best submersible pump for really low yield wells is a progressive cavity pump (google Mono pumps). They are positive displacement so can be rotated at any speed and still produce water. The bad news is that the pump may cost more than the well. A plunger type pump, as used with windmills and hand pumps, would also work. You may even be able to convert a hand pump, as used in public village water wells, to use with an electric motor by yourself. These are also positive displacement so can be run at any speed.

The plunger pump is the type you see on low yielding oil wells all over the world, also known as the "nodding donkey", so setting depth is not a problem.

Archived