Boreholes

Maizefarmer

I have just put down another borehole on our property and am now looking for a submersible pump to supply the water.

Looking for something that can deliver about 2 litres/sec at 80m head from a 200mm hole.

Khon Kaen or Maha sarakham area.

Thanks for any ideas where I can find.

Thai Pipat Hardware in Khon Kaen will have them or can get one for you.

thanks for that and will have a look although we may have found a place in sarakham as well.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all-my g/f-wife has 6 rai in the Chatrakan area of Phitsonulok.There is no water available (canal/river/khlong) and I was thinking of putting down a bore.Can anyone advise me of the availability of ground water in this area and approximate depths drilled and cost involved.On another note,what would be suitable to grow on 6 rai as a cash crop/home use.

Thanks-Waz.

• 1 month later...

Hey wazza go to post 59 on page 6 someone's asked a similar question as you have.

I will also be looking into getting a bore down soon and I'm just north of Sukhothai so hopefully I can source some quotes.

Hi all-my g/f-wife has 6 rai in the Chatrakan area of Phitsonulok.There is no water available (canal/river/khlong) and I was thinking of putting down a bore.Can anyone advise me of the availability of ground water in this area and approximate depths drilled and cost involved.On another note,what would be suitable to grow on 6 rai as a cash crop/home use.

Thanks-Waz.

a small plot for cash income as discribed strawberry(everbearing), asparagus,, lime/lemon tree boundry, okra, depends on soil type, or maybe hand dig a cistern for water storage from rainfall if bore does not work out. you could thow a few fish in cistern small enough a couple could hand the care and most consumption or sale depending on amount of each planted and how tight you keep things together

good luck

• 4 months later...

Due to unreliable gov water supply, we are considering to bore for water at home.

Checked with the local borers and was quoted 800 baht per meter drill and told that our area will be looking at 25 - 30m deep for reliable water source.

They say we will be looking at around 50k baht for submersible pump and casing without the storage tank and stand.

Is this price ok?

Another question, did anybody calculated the saving e.g 1 cubic meter using electrical power to haul up to surface?

We pay an average of 250 baht for water a month, so are we looking at around 20 cubic meter of water?

Is it a good ROI in years to come?

I understand that different pump has different horsepower and consume power differently. Let's assume an average taking your pump as an example.

Hi

We were in the same boat, so bore drilled to about 24 meters using a Nter self priming surface pump, model DP-370, pumps 60 lts min at max head 40 meter.

All up 24000 THB.

60 lts per min will fill our intended 1000L tank in a bit over 16 mins... It will be interesting to know how many kilowatts is used during this operation so as to estimate the saving from using gov water.

Your drilling is 56 Meter.The Franklin 1 HP, Pump stay 36 m deep. The diagramm tell me 50 l/min when the pump stay on about 30 m. Its plenty of water for Farm and Gardening.

The price was 3 years ago 28000 Bath. The first 20 or 30 m its 6 inch Borehole and after 4 inch.

The pump draws about 2 amps when running, 440 watts, that is less than half a KWH.

440 Watt per Hour,this comes down to 117 Watt per 1 m3 water.(16 minutes for 1000 Liter)

So taking 3.5 baht per KW as a standard, it will cost approximately 40 satang to haul 1 m3 of water to the surface... If we pay 12.4 baht for 1000L using gov water, we will save 12 baht per m3. If we average 18 units of water a month, that's 216 baht of saving a month... Allgier pays 28k for the initial installation 3 years ago... his ROI is 7 more years! Not bad... Even better than solar panel investment.

The pump draws about 2 amps when running, 440 watts, that is less than half a KWH.

440 Watt per Hour,this comes down to 117 Watt per 1 m3 water.(16 minutes for 1000 Liter)

So taking 3.5 baht per KW as a standard, it will cost approximately 40 satang to haul 1 m3 of water to the surface... If we pay 12.4 baht for 1000L using gov water, we will save 12 baht per m3. If we average 18 units of water a month, that's 216 baht of saving a month... Allgier pays 28k for the initial installation 3 years ago... his ROI is 7 more years! Not bad... Even better than solar panel investment.

Maybe Allgeier has his ROI every morning...when there is no goverment water in the pipe,and he can take shower with his own water .biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

hi Allgier, why is the drill 56m deep but the pump stays at 36m? Sorry really new to this...

This is a good question and i dont know how exectly to answer. I can only tell

- The guy who made the drilling and the owner from the Pumpshop told us to put the pump on 36 m

-The Waterlevel around our house is all over the year between 5 -7 m

-There are "two level of groundwater". And be sure to have the hole year water need to drill also through the second groundwater level.

The water from our drilling is clear and can stay a couple of days inside a plastikbottle without smelling.

But inside our house we use gov. Water for 3 Bath m3 .

in my opinion the 36 m stay for to have for sure the whole year water. The pump should stay so high as possible, but so deep to have the whole year water. And for this i trust the guy who made the drilling.

Maybe Allgeier has his ROI every morning...when there is no goverment water in the pipe,and he can take shower with his own water .biggrin.png biggrin.png

Normaly to 99% we have water in the gov. pipe but the pressure is not enough for the farmwork. If i like to use the gov. water for the farm i should build a watertank and fill it up with gov. water. But after i need also a pump to pump the water where i need.

For me: gov water for the house and our water for the farm

k-DSCN2186_zpsa2e9787d.jpg

The pvc from the pump up is 1 1/4 Inch

k-DSCN2193_zpsaeb59c04.jpg

Hi Allgäuer...(smile.png are you a "real" one??)

when the water Level in your bore hole is alltime between 5-7 meters below surface,why did you choose a submersible

pump??

Normally with this conditions, a normal water pump beside the hole(on the ground) gives better results and a better pressure for using Sprinklers.

Your PVC pipe in the hole can also reach nearly 20 meter for good water Quality.

As some Shops told me, if the water Level in the hole is deeper than about 10 meters, you need the submersible pump.

I don't know how much it actually pumps, it pumps from 20 odd meters into the tank, say 23 meter head, from tank it's a pressure pump to house & outlets. When we water the garden & lawn fill the tank up first, then water the garden & lawn from bore,

Neighbours think it's good in the dry season when town water fails, no pressure & no water.

Hi Allgäuer...(smile.png are you a "real" one??)

when the water Level in your bore hole is alltime between 5-7 meters below surface,why did you choose a submersible

pump??

Normally with this conditions, a normal water pump beside the hole(on the ground) gives better results and a better pressure for using Sprinklers.

Your PVC pipe in the hole can also reach nearly 20 meter for good water Quality.

As some Shops told me, if the water Level in the hole is deeper than about 10 meters, you need the submersible pump.

To be sure to have enough water the whole year.

The guy who made the drilling told us that 7 m is the criticial deep. The Pumpshop also told us 7 m. Sometimes i take the advice from somebody else and belive it. On the beginning i like a groundpump but now i am happy with this one. I dont have Sprinkler and i use more a dropping system. For our 6 Rai it is "enough".

This is it.

• 3 months later...

My In Laws have just had a bore drilled

went down 30m and cost 25000 bht

Pump included.

Of course muggins had to pay,

Now mother in law and sister in law are arguing

over who pays for the Electric.

He He He yeahhhh ...I guess is You ....he he

hi Allgier, why is the drill 56m deep but the pump stays at 36m? Sorry really new to this...

So that the pump doesn't draw up any sediment. The sides of the borehole are soil which erodes, especially around the pump as the water movement scours the side of the borehole, most of which will fall to the bottom of the borehole. If the pump is to close to the bottom this sediment will be drawn up, it being sand particles is very abrasive and will wear the moving parts of the pump, and I've even seen pipework eroded, especially on the bends.

On one contract I oversaw the installation of three new borehole pumps to replace old units, two at 100 metres and one at 120 metres, on 8 inch flanges pipes, one of the pumps wouldn't go down the borehole so we had to have a CCTV and sonic survey of the borehole. The sonic survey revealed that ground shift was causing our problem, but even more interesting was the scouring at the position of the old pump. The diameter of the borehole had more than doubled, had there not been about 6 metres clearance of the bottom the sediment from the scouring would have passed through the pump.

In sandstone areas they have sand traps in the pipelines to catch sediment before it is transported to water towers and ultimately the customer.

Experimental site so it only cost ฿20'000. It is a combo boreholes choosing the best 2 of 5 drilled. 25m and 26m, after flushing water is crystal clear. 20 litre in 8 sec... good enough for this dry season. Surrounding land owners came to inspect the result. Drilling crew now wants ฿30 - ฿35'000 to drill theirs. (mine was a test run)

post-42398-0-59876000-1457586786_thumb.j

post-42398-0-17690800-1457586785_thumb.j

post-42398-0-62311700-1457586783_thumb.j

post-42398-0-05883900-1457586781_thumb.j

post-42398-0-96002900-1457586778_thumb.j

Happy farming~

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure this is the right place to put it but let's see:

My well is 15 metres deep, water level is typically at 7 metres, my pump will draw to about 11 metres - it's a 3 inch well pipe with a 1 inch pump pickup pipe.

Now I'm hitting 11 metres or very close, I'm thinking of upgrading the pump to get access to the last 4 metres, question is to what, a jet pump? And if so, will a jet pump tie in to my existing 1 inch sprinkler pipe network or do I need something else new?

Finally, once a well has been drilled to 15 metres and 3 inch PVC pipe dropped in, can it be drilled deeper with the blue pipe still in place?.

Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can give.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just had a bore hole drilled in Ubon. Cost was THB 3,000 to local contractor guaranteed that he would keep drilling until water found.

He located several potential spots to drill using divining rods (2 L-shaped metal rods that looked to be fashioned from coat-hangers that crosses over spots with water below the surface)

These rods didn't work when I tried but everybody else confirmed the spots.

Using his self-made rig powered by a tractor motor mounted side-wise, he drilled all day and finally hit good/fresh water at 42 meters.

The top 15 meters of regular blue 6 inch PVC piping (our cost) was inserted into the hole.

He then pumped out the mud and water level rose to 10 meters below ground.

I bought a pump, and filter at local hardware store. They recommended that as over 10 meters, a pump and filter with double pipes be used.

A handyman installed the pump and the piping/filter.

As regards the depth that we place the filter: The driller said "up to us"; the handyman wanted 30m and we finally settled at about 20 meters and it is working well.

However, I believe I read somewhere that the filter should located within the top 15 meters of 6 inch piping so as to create a vacuum and reduce the pressure on the pump.

My question is whether the filter be located within the 6 inch piping or below it and, if below, how much below??

Just had a bore hole drilled in Ubon. Cost was THB 3,000 to local contractor guaranteed that he would keep drilling until water found.

He located several potential spots to drill using divining rods (2 L-shaped metal rods that looked to be fashioned from coat-hangers that crosses over spots with water below the surface)

These rods didn't work when I tried but everybody else confirmed the spots.

Using his self-made rig powered by a tractor motor mounted side-wise, he drilled all day and finally hit good/fresh water at 42 meters.

The top 15 meters of regular blue 6 inch PVC piping (our cost) was inserted into the hole.

He then pumped out the mud and water level rose to 10 meters below ground.

I bought a pump, and filter at local hardware store. They recommended that as over 10 meters, a pump and filter with double pipes be used.

A handyman installed the pump and the piping/filter.

As regards the depth that we place the filter: The driller said "up to us"; the handyman wanted 30m and we finally settled at about 20 meters and it is working well.

However, I believe I read somewhere that the filter should located within the top 15 meters of 6 inch piping so as to create a vacuum and reduce the pressure on the pump.

My question is whether the filter be located within the 6 inch piping or below it and, if below, how much below??

If indeed he went to 42 metres you got one heck of a great deal, I'm getting ready to redrill and the cost from several locals plus one city company is 1,200 baht per metre, I expect to go to 90 metres!

Also, it's worth checking on whether your water contains rust and if so, how much. I'm not sure what you intend to use your well water for either for garden or for domestic consumption but rust typically is found in heavy concentrations, so I'm told, between 10 and 20 feet. Heavy rust/iron deposits will destroy your paint work and cause anything made out of metal to freeze up in under six months, pumps, sprinkler heads, valves etc.

We are about 50 kilometers south of Loei city. There are some cowboy drillers around and they offer cheap prices. My wife wanted to use one of those guys. They may have been alright but I insisted on using a savvy local guy. He quoted a 6 inch well with good water regardless of the depth for 35,000 baht. He hit strong water at 26 meters but he determined that the water was too hard. He kept going and was satisfied with the water at 50 meters deep. I have a 1HP submersible pump down 36 meters. There is no grid electric there and we use 5,000 watt generator. The 2,500 watt generator just couldn't handle the pump's start surge. After pumping about 8 hours straight, the bore hole showed no sign of weakening. I have tasted the water and it is tasteless. I wanted my wife, who knows EVERYTHING, to have the water tested. She says there are chemicals in the water and it is not safe to drink. I don't believe that and the water has never been tested.

Anyone have a rough idea how the cost compares to putting in a well. I'm pretty fed up with my water supply being turned off 12 hours a day. I've only a small garden so a bore hole would make a lot of sense.

mine was 120,000 , no water no fee

• 4 weeks later...

We are about 50 kilometers south of Loei city. There are some cowboy drillers around and they offer cheap prices. My wife wanted to use one of those guys. They may have been alright but I insisted on using a savvy local guy. He quoted a 6 inch well with good water regardless of the depth for 35,000 baht. He hit strong water at 26 meters but he determined that the water was too hard. He kept going and was satisfied with the water at 50 meters deep. I have a 1HP submersible pump down 36 meters. There is no grid electric there and we use 5,000 watt generator. The 2,500 watt generator just couldn't handle the pump's start surge. After pumping about 8 hours straight, the bore hole showed no sign of weakening. I have tasted the water and it is tasteless. I wanted my wife, who knows EVERYTHING, to have the water tested. She says there are chemicals in the water and it is not safe to drink. I don't believe that and the water has never been tested.

I can't advise on your water but do have a question for you.

I am thinking of irrigating about 6 rai of land for farming purposes and from what I have seen most farmers use a surface pump belt driven by a portable deisel engine. You have a submersed electric pump run by an generator. Can you advise if that is better than the surface pump system.

Thanks for any help

Somo, the surface pump system is / can be used if the water level as well as volume in the wellbore is high enough for the pump to pull the water to the surface and send it the length of your irrigation surface system.

We have 2, 10 rai plots that have 3 inch surface pumps that pump from a depth of 8 meters. the wells are 20 meter deep with standing water level at 3 meter from surface. Its good water and the 3 inch pumps running wide open, powered by 5 hp motor have never pulled water level lower than the supply pipe level at 8 meters. I use petrol pumps as we have heard of theft problem if anything is left in field, unguarded.

It takes about 10 hours to irrigate the 10 rai crops, orchards, veggies (no rice) 1 man can handle both systems as they are close to each other

hope this helps you in planning somewhat.

Thanks Slap

We have yet to drill but in essence as long as we don't need to go too deep a surface pump would do?

Are petrol pumps lighter/cheaper to run. We too would have to remove it everyday.

A thai guy we visited runs his deisel powered system just 30 minutes for each 2 rai but he irrigates just 2 at a time then switches the taps for another 2 rai etc. He is pretty remote and lives on his land so is not worried about thieves but we will have to.

I have attached some pics

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/stevenp_02/P1140980_zpsg1fcwpv3.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/stevenp_02/P1140979_zpsqat5mkxa.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/stevenp_02/P1140978_zpsaol465cv.jpg

Had to do links as couldn't figure out how to insert pics direct.

Archived