Any Aldara experts here?

fauxrang

I have an obnoxious 'common skin wart' issue, which is (somewhat) documented here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/782613-hpv-warts-treatment-hpv-vaccine-questions/

Months ago I had a skin wart outbreak in my crotch area. I was seemingly wart free for a month or 2, but I just had 2 really tiny ones cryo'd a few days ago.

I do have a few Aldara packets from a Thai Dr, which I have never used. I cannot find any video online that demonstrates someone opening an Aldara packet (with a pin prick?) and applying it. Adding to the confusion - the Dr (and much of the internet) describes Aldara as simply boosting your immuno response - so that the wart will just shrink away - as though your body had fought it off by itself.

This sounds great.

But the internet is also flooded with testimonies of Aldara causing horrible burns (literally craters) and other itching/discomfort. I have seen several wart/Aldara info pages that are using photos of women with huge globs of white cream on their fingers (ready to apply it!) - I have to imagine these are just stock images - images that are rather irresponsible to show people who may use it as such. More confusion.

Which is it? Does Aldara *burn* the wart out of your skin like acid treatments? If I apply Aldara on a really tiny wart - will I have black burn marks as though I had applied acid? Or will I just 'feel' a burning sensation - and, then the wart will shrink away (over time) (if it works).

Also - if I see a wart developing under the skin - can I apply Aldara on top of my skin? And the treatment will penetrate down? (I am asking because, 1 of the warts I just had cryo'd - I could *see* something under my skin for a week or 2 before it came up/out, and I think I see another 1 or 2 just like that, under the skin).

Thank you.

Aldara does not burn the wart out. It simply helps the immune system recognise the wart as "foreign", and so attack it.

If used correctly - not too frequently, not too much, avoiding sensitive skin, only applying to unbroken skin, and avoiding sunlight, then there won't be any nasty side effects; the Internet horror stories are from people who did not use it correctly.

• Like 1

You cut across the packet near the top of nozzle area where they have the cut line normally - there is no need to pin prick - but you can use a pin to apply or suspect you could just use a pin in the nozzle area (be very careful when you squeeze to not use too much) as you want to keep it on the area intended and surround with Vaseline to prevent excessive coverage. It is also highly regarded for getting your body to destroy any stray skin cancer cells. As said not normally used more than 5 days in a row and washed off in morning after evening application (in my use). There are a number of methods mentioned on internet for usage.

• Like 1

As said not normally used more than 5 days in a row and washed off in morning after evening application (in my use). There are a number of methods mentioned on internet for usage.

For warts in the genital area (which I think is what the OP's describing), usually it's used 3 times a week (e.g. Monday, Wednesday, Friday) - definitely not 5 days in a row.

And I really wouldn't recommend the Internet as a source of medical advice. One should trust one's doctor. And if one can't, change doctor.

Actually you can find a great deal of information on the internet - but you do have to filter it - my stated max usage experience was not for warts as said and was for 5 days on then 2 days off to insure no cancer - which is a normal procedure from what I read on the internet.

FYI: we are on the internet here; right? smile.png

There's a distinction between medical information and medical advice.

The information on the Internet is necessarily generalised.

The individual patient requires personalised, specific advice. For that, one's doctor is the best source.

Indeed, the perils of relying on the Internet are illustrated by statements such as "not normally used more than 5 days in a row". The "normally used" here refers specifically to (I'm guessing) for basal cell carcinoma. "Normally used" for genital warts is rather different. In other words, there's no universal "normally used". (That's not meant to be an attack of any sort, but just an illustration of how easily information can be misinterpreted.)

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Yes - I have warts in my genital area - but not *genital warts*. So my situation is rather unique.

The treatment is the same - but I get to experience the joys of my genital area grinding into my clothing (and grinding into... myself) all day - which makes it almost impossible to *not* spread common warts.

The Dr did give me the M/W/F-style schedule, should I ever want/need to use the cream. But other than that - I am stuck with the internet on advice on how open the packet, seal the packet, how much to apply, etc. (that is - without booking another appointment just to ask them to demonstrate)

The Dr did give me the M/W/F-style schedule, should I ever want/need to use the cream. But other than that - I am stuck with the internet on advice on how open the packet, seal the packet, how much to apply, etc. (that is - without booking another appointment just to ask them to demonstrate)

Cut off the corner of the packet. Squeeze a tiny amount onto a saucer (or something similar). Use the head of a pin to pick up a small amount of the cream. Use the pin head to smear the cream onto the wart (and nowhere else).

Pop the opened packet into a small ziplock bag and keep it in the fridge.

Just don't expect miracles. It didn't work for me.

The packets I have are designed to be cut across and have a marked line of where to do so. I find there is no need to spread to another container as you can apply from packet directly in many cases and if too small an area use pin/toothpick or other to transfer - no need to waste. Agree a plastic bag provides good storage between usage. These are designed as one time use applicators so don't expect pharma to advise how to use more than once.smile.png

I can say it has worked for some of my bumps and for others less so. But have not had any adverse reactions so 5 days on and 2 off has been doctors recommendation for me for unknown probable warts on arm as well as BCC/SCC after laser treatments. This is rather long term treatment - do not expect much results in only a few days.

IMHO, I just don't understand why people pay so much money for expensive medications, see doctors, etc. to remove warts. I came across a blog once that described how to use apple cider vinegar to remove common warts. Basically you soak a small cotton bud in the vinegar, then place it on top of the wart and cover it with a waterproof bandage. Cover it overnight. In the morning it will turn white and over a few days shrink and fall off. Simple. It will burn the skin if you keep it on too long, that is why over night is usually enough. If not, try again for another 8 hrs.

I have no obvious/definitive wart currently (other than the 2 scabs I am waiting to fall off). But I have some white spots under my skin that look *exactly* like a white spot that turned into a wart - and I had it cryo'd on Monday.

So - I did apply Aldara last night. It was white coming out of the package - but looks more clear/milky once applied on my skin. It did not irritate me at all - so I am not sure what the vaseline comments are about. Did I not put on enough? (ie - should it... hurt?)

I opened it with scissors and sealed it with scotch tape (a tip I got from the internet - not my Dr).

Never bother to seal using plastic pill bag but that should help avoid spill if you squeeze when taking out of bag (which is what I use).

It should not hurt - the Vaseline from my understanding is to protect surrounding skin absorption of Aldara - you do not want larger area than the actual object of concern being attacked by body.

I have no obvious/definitive wart currently (other than the 2 scabs I am waiting to fall off). But I have some white spots under my skin that look *exactly* like a white spot that turned into a wart - and I had it cryo'd on Monday.

So - I did apply Aldara last night. It was white coming out of the package - but looks more clear/milky once applied on my skin. It did not irritate me at all - so I am not sure what the vaseline comments are about. Did I not put on enough? (ie - should it... hurt?)

I opened it with scissors and sealed it with scotch tape (a tip I got from the internet - not my Dr).

Why on earth did you apply Aldara to what is otherwise healthy skin?

Aldara should be applied to a wart (or other nasty) so that the body can recognise it as foreign. It should not be applied to normal skin. Wait until the wart (if that's what it is) emerges.

The Vaseline comments are about making sure it doesn't get on normal skin.

It should not hurt if applied correctly. After all, warts don't contain nerve cells.

OP, I'd forgotten your previous topic on this subject. There it was very unclear that you even had warts. You did write "That Dr never clearly saw a wart, and the 2 dermatologists I saw at Samitiwej never saw a wart. At no point did *I* clearly see a wart." So, did you ever get a definitive diagnosis of having warts?

I'd suggest definitely staying away from any treatment until you can go back to a dermatologist and get a proper diagnosis. (Your previous attempts at self-treatment probably only made diagnosis harder.)

If the skin is unbroken and uninflamed, you could probably see a dermatologist now to get an decent opinion.

^ It is all very convoluted. Yes - the white form under my skin that eventually came up - certainly looked like a blossoming wart to me (when it came up). But - it didn't look like any of the other marks I previously had zapped off months earlier. And it didn't look like the other mark I had zapped off the same day (Monday). That other mark - had been there for a couple months - and while I noticed it - it was just a very tiny little thing.

The other mark probably most resemble something like this (not exactly, but I can't find anything better) Very tiny, only slightly upraised - much less so than this photo):

http://i.imgur.com/LjdtqRP.jpg

The white form that erupted did, at least, resemble other fresh warts photos - but the skin texture from a finger/foot is much different than the skin at the base of my penis.

http://i.imgur.com/neIV407.jpg

Yes, a dermatologist at Samitivej said they were both warts, and cryo'd both of them. I have never had a full blown 'wart' down there - and I am not sure how anyone could let it get to that point? Why wouldn't you treat it long before that?

Which returns to what I was saying - if I see other white forms under my skin - I would rather put Aldara onto that area, if such a thing works.