Foreigner threatens to throw kid from balcony (VIDEO)

webfact

Farang threatens to throw kid from balcony (VIDEO)
By Coconuts Bangkok

CHIANG MAI: -- Witnesses said an upset foreigner threatened to throw his son from the balcony of a Chiang Mai shopping mall yesterday.

The unidentified man was arguing fiercely with his wife at the Kad Suan Kaew mall when witnesses said he began threatening to drop their son from the third floor while their young daughter (green top) looked on.

In video footage said to be of the incident, it’s unclear what happened

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/04/02/farang-threatens-throw-kid-balcony-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-04-03
  • Like 1

Best to err on the side of children's safety, but using the video as evidence of the situation - there was no danger to the child as I can see - the faring was yelling - which in a no no in Thailand, but that's all. It has appeared to me that in Thailand the slightest dispute can get blown way over proportion - everyone has to get involved, despite "jai yehn yehn" - which this farang is guilty of in public. So it takes 20 Thai's to bring down one loud farang carrying a kid? Come on. They should have blocked the railing of the balcony first anyway.

• Like 1

there was no danger to the child as I can see - the faring was yelling - which in a no no in Thailand, but that's all.

So... No interest at all of "what" he was yelling?

e.g "I'M GONNA DROP THE KID OVER THE RAIL!!!!" ... blink.png

Edited by Fullstop

It does look like security may have been involved in this. looked like someone in a yellow vest. Did not see him hanging kid over rail but i agree that must have been very serous for all those Thai's to intervene. They may have some CCTV video from the mall.

• Like 1

The video, as noted, obviously doesn't prove anything other than a bunch of Thais rushing in to grab the child; however, given Thais would almost never insert themselves into a situation involving others (let alone falang others), the fact that several of them did so clearly tells me that at least the Thais thought this child was in immediate danger.

Or he had said something bad about Thailand or Thais. Was there a few sneaky kicks while he was outnumbered on the ground?

The child is nowhere near the edge of the balcony.

Edited by Happy Grumpy
  • Like 2

Totally inconclusive video.The guy was arguing with his wife/gf, it appears, but where is the threat to throw the child over the balcony I am afraid I didn't hear it.

Coconuts are, I think, the new kids on the block and posting a lot of content which is aimed at being controversial so if everyone settles down the truth may slowly emerge.

Totally inconclusive video.The guy was arguing with his wife/gf, it appears, but where is the threat to throw the child over the balcony I am afraid I didn't hear it.

Coconuts are, I think, the new kids on the block and posting a lot of content which is aimed at being controversial so if everyone settles down the truth may slowly emerge.

watch the video linked in post 25

• Like 2

Best to err on the side of children's safety, but using the video as evidence of the situation - there was no danger to the child as I can see - the faring was yelling - which in a no no in Thailand, but that's all. It has appeared to me that in Thailand the slightest dispute can get blown way over proportion - everyone has to get involved, despite "jai yehn yehn" - which this farang is guilty of in public. So it takes 20 Thai's to bring down one loud farang carrying a kid? Come on. They should have blocked the railing of the balcony first anyway.

'No danger to the child as you could see' maybe you didn't see it all eh? Well done Thais.

• Like 1

The reaction of so many passersby was either prearranged (why?) or a spontaneous reaction. Hard to be certain of the reality of the situation but rather be safe than sorry. Benefit of the doubt to the idea of spontaneity though I don't reckon the video is much evidence if the case comes to trial, unless there is audio of the guy threatening to throw the child.