Crash at Road Safety Banner Kills One Motorcyclist

Lite Beer

Crash at Road Safety Banner Kills One Motorcyclist

By Khaosod Eng.

14281257931428125967l.jpg

TRANG - A motorcyclist was killed after his vehicle crashed into a roadside banner that promoted traffic safety in Trang province this morning.

Police received reports about the accident at around 5 am today.

Pol.Maj. Wattana Thongkong, an officer at Na Yong Police Station, said the 32-year-old driver died at the scene, while his 30-year-old girlfriend, who was riding on the back of the motorcycle, was injured by the crash.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1428125793

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-04-04

I have seen the warning signs placed at levels and near enough to the road way that they are another of the hazard to those traveling the public roadways.

it sometime appears they put those in charge of projects who have never been exposed to the safety aspect that is being addressed

rip

• Like 1

There was a sign put up by the police near where I lived that promoted the BIB and proclaiming what fine fellows there were and it was placed exactly on the corner and about 1 meter above the ground so as to turn it into a completely blind corner.

It was left there for 3 or 4 months and I saw two accidents because of it. There were probably more.

• Like 1

Totally agree with slapout above. A while ago we had a similar banner setup in the village. Unfortunately it was placed directly at a junction in such a way that it was impossible to see oncoming traffic when you attempted to exit a side road.

TIT clap2.gif

A while ago we had a similar banner setup in the village. Unfortunately it was placed directly at a junction in such a way that it was impossible to see oncoming traffic when you attempted to exit a side road.

Farang think too much.

No! Just are more educated.

A while ago we had a similar banner setup in the village. Unfortunately it was placed directly at a junction in such a way that it was impossible to see oncoming traffic when you attempted to exit a side road.

Farang think too much.

No! Just are more educated.

You can tell by the number that lose everything to a local.

90% of all Thai motor cycle drivers can not read, no licience, no helmet, no insurance, and no vehicle registration. What is needed is more law enforcing by the police to educate them.

Yes, you're right but I think the BIB need a lot more education and told to get of their backsides before they try to be the educator and enforcer. My wife had the unfortunate experience of one of these cyclists ploughing into the right hand side of her car. He was all of the above plus heavily intoxicated. He succumbed to his injuries, which left my wife in a very distressed state. No one wants to see death but the effects on the surviving innocent party is immense.

did he wear a helmet? was he speeding ? was he drunk ?

Newspaper report quotes police as stating that he was not wearing a helmet whilst the victim's girlfriend alleged he was speeding before he lost control and crashed. No mention of alcohol.

We have an ally here that has brick property wall down both sides, impossible for cars to pass one has to wait almost scrapping the wall.

Disgraceful.

Absolutely disgraceful.

How dare they put up a brick wall on their property that stops people from driving into it. They should have put gravel down so the public can drive into and through their land without any hindrance.

Totally agree with slapout above. A while ago we had a similar banner setup in the village. Unfortunately it was placed directly at a junction in such a way that it was impossible to see oncoming traffic when you attempted to exit a side road.

Looks a though they may have hit the concrete post the banner was attached to.

They also place signs at a height suitable to scalp you over the pavements. Can only surmise that to qualify for the job you have to be sub 5 feet tall.

Understand that but how is it relevant to the crash and fatality. Seems a long way removed.

Deceased hit a sign.

Signs are often dangerously placed, apparently.

As are privately built walls on privately owned land that stop member of the public from using the private land as a public road, apparently.

You have to think like a Thai hater to connect them.

90% of all Thai motor cycle drivers can not read, no licience, no helmet, no insurance, and no vehicle registration. What is needed is more law enforcing by the police to educate them.

90% ? Wow...

Considering at least 40-50% of the population ride motorbikes, that would make Thailand one of the most illiterate countries in the world !

RIP to the speeding rider, thankfully his gf survived.

Understand that but how is it relevant to the crash and fatality. Seems a long way removed.

Deceased hit a sign.

Signs are often dangerously placed, apparently.

As are privately built walls on privately owned land that stop member of the public from using the private land as a public road, apparently.

You have to think like a Thai hater to connect them.

I am quite capable of reading, understanding and seeing that many signs are often placed in dangerous positions. So I don't really need it to be explained to me.

The only problem, from what I can see, is that the poster initially complained about walls being built along the property line, which forced riders/drivers, to move into the traffic lane to see approaching vehicles, and then further, that two walls have been built on opposite sides of his soi and there is difficulty with vehicles passing.

So you're assuming that he is saying, without actually saying it, that these walls are just as dangerous as the placing of signs beside the carriageway. Funny way to outline this aspect, if that is in fact what he is alluding to.

I can see only two gripes that he has outlined and, as I asked before, what is the relevance of them to this particular incident. In addition, may I ask what has the introduction of "thinking like a Thai Hater to connect them", have to do with what the poster has written? One can assume he is annoyed but there's nothing to suggest that I or anyone else has to think in such a manner to connect anything. Things can be read into most posts but in doing so does not mean that what is assumed is correct.

One should remember that Thailand is vastly different to where us expats hail from and even though we might not like certain situations. we have to grin and bear it, as nothing we say or do will alter anything. Only time and education will.