Help... Info Needed.... Mae Sot? Anyone?

PitterPat

OK.. nervous mum here..... My youngest, and socially aware daughter, has graduated from college and is dying to go to Thailand to work with an organization called "Social Action for Women" (SAW?). I believe they want her to work with the orphanage.... I think.

So.... the above said.... can anyone tell me about the area.... would you recommend a 22 year old woman going there? She's got some street smarts, and has traveled quite a bit around Europe.. with merely a backpack.... and is a very cool, layed back.. easy going gal. I realize she's talking about going into an area where folks have been through living hel_l, if not enduring it presently.

I'd feel MUCH better if I had some contact folks there, in case of an emergency.

Thoughts, suggestions, pearls of wisdom?

Thanks in advance

PitterPat

Mae Sot town itself is quite developed and is a tourist area, backpacking and the like.

I assume from your post she'll be doing something in the burmese/hilltribe refugee camps but I don't really know much about them. Parts of Mae Sot as very rugged and inacessible. What work does the organisation do ?

OK.. nervous mum here..... My youngest, and socially aware daughter, has graduated from college and is dying to go to Thailand to work with an organization called "Social Action for Women" (SAW?). I believe they want her to work with the orphanage.... I think.

So.... the above said.... can anyone tell me about the area.... would you recommend a 22 year old woman going there? She's got some street smarts, and has traveled quite a bit around Europe.. with merely a backpack.... and is a very cool, layed back.. easy going gal. I realize she's talking about going into an area where folks have been through living hel_l, if not enduring it presently.

I'd feel MUCH better if I had some contact folks there, in case of an emergency.

Thoughts, suggestions, pearls of wisdom?

Thanks in advance

PitterPat

Pitterpat, to put your mind at rest Thailand is quite safe for young women to travel around in. As your daughter will be working for an organisation I'm sure she will be well cared for. Its a beautiful country and the Thai people are some of the nicest people I have met around the world. There are lots of orphanages around and they will surely appreciate the help your daughter will give. Relax, I know easier said than done, But I'm sure it is something your daughter will enjoy and treasure for the rest of her life. Well done to her for doing it. :o

OOppps forgot,, When your daughter gets here tell her to get a Thai sim for her phone. Its very cheap to call to the UK and you can text from the UK to her for 20p or there are some sites which offer cheap calling to Thailand from the UK, try a google. Coverage is very good throughout Thailand apart from a few places in the middle of no where.As said I'm sure she'll love it, its a beautiful country. :o