Mystery surrounds death of Brit in Hua Hin

webfact

Questions over mirror kick death of Stornoway man in Hua Hin, Thailand
Thai police claimed that Iain died on Saturday but family heard news on Friday
by Iain Maciver

hh.jpg
Iain Mackay

(HUA HIN) A seaman from Stornoway has died after an incident in Thailand.

It has emerged that Iain Mackay, 40, who worked with a seismic research company, had earlier clashed with a girlfriend and another man after surprising them together at a bar in Hua Hin in Prachuap Khiri Khan Province on the Malay Peninsula.

However, police in Hua Hin say no crime was committed and that Mr Mackay bled to death after cutting himself when he smashed a mirror in a shop in a fit of rage because his girlfriend had not turned up.

After news of his death emerged on Friday, friends of Mr Mackay pointed to postings on social media in which he posted photos of a woman who was apparently his girlfriend and another Caucasian man.

One said: “Iain was obviously upset and referred to the woman who seemed to be his own girlfriend and a mystery man as “lovers”.”

A police spokeswoman at Hua Hin claimed Mr Mackay had died in hospital after the shop mirror incident (interview above).

She said Mr Mackay was angry because his Thai girlfriend had not arrived and she said it happened at 3pm Saturday. However, news of Iain’s death had actually reached relatives on Friday.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office today also confirmed they believed he died on Friday.

A FCO spokesman said: “We can confirm the death of a British National in Hua Hin, Thailand, on 3 April. We are providing consular assistance to the family at this sad time.”

Mr Mackay’s parents, Uilleam and Chrissie Mackay, live at Perceval Road in Stornoway. He is a well-known elder in the Free Presbyterian church.

Some of the pictures and comments made by Iain Mackay about his girlfriend and a mystery Caucasian companion on social media on Friday appeared to have been deleted on Saturday by someone who had access to his account.

There was no one available at his employers’ offices in Dubai.

Source: http://maciverblog.co.uk/2015/04/05/hua_hin/

-- maciverblog 2015-04-06

Depending on what time Saturday he died... It would have still been Friday in UK!

If the story is correct & he Died at 3 pm Saturday that would make it 8am Saturday morning in the UK.....

RIP Mr,

I hope if you were Murdered they find who done it,,,

never worth dieing over a cheating partner, you should have walked away,,,,,

• Like 2

RIP. But it seemes to me farangs die too often in Thailand

... because it tends to attract a certain type ...

Unfortunately yes a type who believe younger ladies are attracted to them in some purely romantic way. In poorer countries and I guess the bar girls included in this going with farangs is money, babe money. Grow up go short time have some type of relationship but avoid falling for the total love idea and never marry. Keep it cool man do not over commit.

• Like 1

Hmmmmm...........Rest In Peace.

Meantime, are there a whole lot more Brits in Thailand than other Nationals or is it just a coincidence that more Brits are getting beat up and in trouble with the law and having more violent altercations with the Thais and seemingly more Brits being murdered or some how ending up dead under mysterious circumstances.

Is there a trend evolving or am I the only one noticing this???

Cheers

• Like 1

More Australians die in Thailand than in any other country outside Australia. I should imagine that also applies for Canadians & Kiwis & Brits & most Europeans. Not sure about USA as I believe many get snuffed in Mexico & South America.

• Like 1

They only die once! But too many die.

That entirely depends on whether you believe in "only one life" or in infinite reincarnation as the Thai Buddhists do. Personally I think we will be born again, perhaps not as a human. There is only one infinite consciousness in the universe that cannot be destroyed, just as matter itself cannot be created or destroyed.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They only die once! But too many die.

That entirely depends on whether you believe in "only one life" or in infinite reincarnation as the Thai Buddhists do. Personally I think we will be born again, perhaps not as a human. There is only one infinite consciousness in the universe that cannot be destroyed, just as matter itself cannot be created or destroyed.

Apart from the RIP what, if anything, has this sorry exchange got to do with the tragic death of the young man in the original post?

What are you people on?

To all the people complaining about farangs dying in Thailand....really?? I agree some did nothing wrong to deserve it.

But do you think no Thai people die under same circumstances? You just don't hear about it because nobody on Thai Visa

gives a shit about some poor Thai man dying. It has a lot more to do with people's social circles and choices than being

a foreigner.

• Like 1

To all the people complaining about farangs dying in Thailand....really?? I agree some did nothing wrong to deserve it.

But do you think no Thai people die under same circumstances? You just don't hear about it because nobody on Thai Visa

gives a shit about some poor Thai man dying. It has a lot more to do with people's social circles and choices than being

a foreigner.

Obviously you know nothing about Thailand , Foreigners have no rights in Thailand , including human rights, and that includes Thais. You don't see many Thai people falling from high buildings, I give a shit about Poor Thai people i try and help them , but i mean poor Thais who have nothing , along with Burmese , Cambodian and many more from surrounding country's who have had misfortune ,

• Like 1

May his gentle soul rest in peace with the Lord. I just keep doubting why almost a day can't past without us hearing about the death of a British here. What is really the matter with them dying so many here?

I know very well that foreigners have little to no rights here. But that has nothing to do with putting yourself in situations

you shouldn't be in. In the USA, the land of the free, people have rights....yet the murder rate is same as Thailand.

And I'm pretty sure most of those murders in the USA weren't committed by Thais...so your argument isn't a very good one.

RIP,

Made some bad choices....

1) Wrong kind of woman...

2) falling in love with same.

3)Hitting a mirror and breaking it....broken glass cuts, cuts bleed...sometimes way too much.

Bad choices.

I see no mysteries here.

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 2

I see so much completely uncontroled reaction to things/situations that would in most cases would receive a few condolenses from mates and the party/good times would continue. this includes road rage, domestic spates, bystanders getting physically involved, etc. What is the country coming to? is restraint not demonstrated, encourged, taught in the country any more?

you kick a windoiw, cut a vital vessel and you will bleed out before help can arrive. hit a brick wall, break your hand and the list goes on.there is not help near in most of the world nor are many trained to apply help. do you have to be told to be careful before you leave the house each day, do you need a crossing guard to help you cross the street.

guess we should be thankful that these accidents happen, we would be wall to wall people without human stupidity and thoughtfulness making for some breqathing room