Mystery surrounds death of Brit in Hua Hin

webfact

Neither the report on this thread, nor the one linked in Thai have much of a timeline of events, and then there is the translation issue. This blog has some more information as well as a phone conversation with what appears to be a police spoeswoman who refers to the police report several times. Comparing the three 'mirror' clearly means 'window', and at a guess i imagine 3pm will be the Thai version of the time, which is probably 9pm in Western clocks. This could then mean that if the incident where the glass was smashed and injured the man took place at that time, it is possible that the attempted treatment/revival by first respondents and the hospital meant his death may well have been recorded as being on Saturday in Thailand, but Friday in the UK. I know I have postulated in the way Bignose disagrees with above, but I hope I have done so in a way that could help explain the apparent time irregularity. The Thai report says the shop was called 'Snooker' and was opposite the railway station but the police woman clearly states 'MasterCues' which is a bar/pool and snooker shop and is indeed near the railway station. A poster on another local forum states that he knows both the shop and the girl in question, who is the owner of that shop and was the girlfriend, and says that she is distraught. I suggest that this one is put down to being a tragic accident brought about by either a misunderstanding or the discovery of a love rival, possibly additionally fuelled by alcohol.

• Like 2

The term 'hub of mystery deaths' was used earlier..look back in the records for the last 10yrs..Hua Hin does not have a good record when it comes to suspicious deaths of UK nationals..

...& to me this poor man may find himself on that same list.

In almost no time at all the MiB seem happy with the cause of death being almost accidental & no foul play..TiT..(in a western country, IMO.. the investigation would have been longer, wider, & more thorough)

R.I.P. Iain.

you kick a windoiw, cut a vital vessel and you will bleed out before help can arrive. hit a brick wall, break your hand and the list goes on.there is not help near in most of the world nor are many trained to apply help. do you have to be told to be careful before you leave the house each day, do you need a crossing guard to help you cross the street.

The problem being in a western country if it's reported you died from a cut kicking a window, good chance the report is true.

In Thailand, you could have been killed by a machete, and the police paid to report accident kicking a mirror.

Or beaten to death with a hoe, or shot, or run down by a car, killed by insecticide, etc.

They couldn't even keep the day of the death consistent.

No evidence requited, no autopsy, no witness, no investigation.

Death of foreigner always, suicide or accident.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

RIP,

Made some bad choices....

1) Wrong kind of woman...

2) falling in love with same.

3)Hitting a mirror and breaking it....broken glass cuts, cuts bleed...sometimes way too much.

Bad choices.

I see no mysteries here.

I agree completely. My condolences to the friends and and family of the mirror. I feel a grave injustice has been done and no one so far has mentioned the fate of the mirror. Meantime we have a guy that smashed a mirror in anger, might have even picked up a piece of it and cut himself deliberately after finding out that his 'girlfriend' was cheating on him with another farrang. I mean...come on!!! That's what bar girls do for goodness sake. Multiple streams of income etc..

The mirror did nothing wrong.

Edited by OOLEEBER

At the request of the deceased family the blog has now been taken down.

Maybe the girlfriend arranged to meet him at 3pm Saturday, but he thought they arranged Friday.

Obviously he lost his cool and I'm sure didn't intend to take his own life, just vent of steam being full of anger and frustration.

RIP.

Edited by Faz

RIP. But it seemes to me farangs die too often in Thailand

They only die once! But too many die.

That entirely depends on whether you believe in "only one life" or in infinite reincarnation as the Thai Buddhists do. Personally I think we will be born again, perhaps not as a human. There is only one infinite consciousness in the universe that cannot be destroyed, just as matter itself cannot be created or destroyed.

Huh??????????????? What are you on about? The man was an elder in the presby church, not a Buddhist. Your beliefs might apply to you if you so desire, but don't attach them to him any more than you would wish him to attach his beliefs to you. Your comment deserves removing. Keep your religious beliefs to yourself under such circumstances. Poor guy. Lost his cool over feelings for a local girl, warrented, or mistakenly & did himself in, probably accidentally. RIP. Seems lots of Brits die here under circumstances that suggest circumstances involving too much alcohol. Take it easy out there on the grog, Lads. Most things are more fun when you are sober.

Edited by The Deerhunter

This report is clearly an attempt to incite unrest in the kingdom, and I am reporting it to the NCPO. It's my new policy since Obama is a villain and Bush is is a saint. :) Take that to the bank, mods.....

Edited by FangFerang

May his gentle soul rest in peace with the Lord. I just keep doubting why almost a day can't past without us hearing about the death of a British here. What is really the matter with them dying so many here?

First of all you assume he has a 'gentle soul'. He smashed a mirror in anger for goodness sake. Then you assume there is a 'Lord'. If there is a Lord and and he's watching over us then why didn't he take care of this (angry) gentle soul when it really mattered. Religion makes me sick to the stomach. As do people who preach it.

There is science and there is reason and logic but there certainly is no God. Pathetic thinking.

• Like 1

Funny they write "Malay Peninsula" instead of "Thailand". I'm sure the British are above colonial geography now.

It is the Malay peninsula, but, if you want to be pedantic, Hua Hin is located on the Kra isthmus........

What street is that on ?

Thai and western definitions of fidelity are very different. I know well educated people teachers, pilots and engineers that just don't get it

It's different here!

Edited by maprao
  • Like 1

That entirely depends on whether you believe in "only one life" or in infinite reincarnation as the Thai Buddhists do. Personally I think we will be born again, perhaps not as a human. There is only one infinite consciousness in the universe that cannot be destroyed, just as matter itself cannot be created or destroyed.

So to be clear, if you are delusional and believe in things of a supernatural nature with no evidence of any kind to support such a claim, then, you will be granted another life?? C'mon bro, time for a reality check.

Thai and western definitions of fidelity are very different. I know well educated people teachers, pilots and engineers that just don't get it

It's different here!

Getting close to the truth and reality here....

so, when does a Thai girl lie??? when she open her mouth.....

it is socially acceptable to have a lover or two if your husband is away on work.... since he is not here he cant be around to see or hear about it....

and they do prey to Buddha that he don't find out.... so something went wrong here...

RIP British guy!

• Like 1

No doubt we shall be treated to an avalanche of vague, insinuating comments regarding what could have happened, what was thought to have happened, and what some people will imagine has happened.

What is undeniable is that it is another tragic loss of a fairly young man, the pain for his parents and other family members will be huge and long lasting.

As with other tragedies in the past I would imagine his family will examine all social media and news websites for any news or additional details, please consider that before posting.

Commiserations and condolences to his family and friends, you have our sympathy...

Just a shame that the family can have absolutely no confidence that the RTP will do a thorough job of getting to the facts of the case. Wouldn't it replace so much of the speculation if we somehow believed the police would do their job? That is the sad part....

Probably just seemes [sic] to you because they make the news here.

At home people die they generally don't make the daily nationals because they took a dive off a balcony or bled to death after smashing a mirror.

• Like 1

Again the classic mistake!!

Buy a bar so your girlfriend of 3 weeks can play business, while you are abroad working!!

What can possibly go wrong??.....................................coffee1.gif

As I understand the story, the deceased (RIP) kicked his way into his EX girlfriends shop/bar and whilst doing so seriously badly cut his leg, (and I've seen the pictures!), and whilst he was smashing the place up, he bled so badly that by the time the police/ambulance arrived he was too far gone to recover and died in hospital from blood loss. This is a very sad story, but lets not make a murder mystery out of it. I visited the scene, there was glass from the window/door of the premises all over the place and blood everywhere. Furthermore, his EX girlfriend was not some young bar girl, but a mature, educated and very nice woman. I am terribly sorry that Iain died in such a way, but let's deal with the facts as much as possible please.

• Like 2

To all the people complaining about farangs dying in Thailand....really?? I agree some did nothing wrong to deserve it.

But do you think no Thai people die under same circumstances? You just don't hear about it because nobody on Thai Visa

gives a shit about some poor Thai man dying. It has a lot more to do with people's social circles and choices than being

a foreigner.

It also could be gullible oil workers who are pulling the 3 months on 1 month off working off shore. Falling in slut love and then leaving the girl to be honorable and trustful for 3 months until they return and then only to find out their slut girl still had itches while they were gone but had found others to scratch them for her. Balconies and parking overhangs and now broken mirriors with door knobs are the new demise methods

• Like 1

As I understand the story, the deceased (RIP) kicked his way into his EX girlfriends shop/bar and whilst doing so seriously badly cut his leg, (and I've seen the pictures!), and whilst he was smashing the place up, he bled so badly that by the time the police/ambulance arrived he was too far gone to recover and died in hospital from blood loss. This is a very sad story, but lets not make a murder mystery out of it. I visited the scene, there was glass from the window/door of the premises all over the place and blood everywhere. Furthermore, his EX girlfriend was not some young bar girl, but a mature, educated and very nice woman. I am terribly sorry that Iain died in such a way, but let's deal with the facts as much as possible please.

If he wasn't gone when the ambulance got there then he should have been saved. Stem the blood flow add Liquids liquids liquids. I suspect dudley doo right and the keystone cops showed up and went OMG wow gee. what a mess. He is the one. Better take him to the hospital. How? Now you mean?. Okay! Want a give me a hand.

Thought I would add crap to your invention without the link.

To all the people complaining about farangs dying in Thailand....really?? I agree some did nothing wrong to deserve it.

But do you think no Thai people die under same circumstances? You just don't hear about it because nobody on Thai Visa

gives a shit about some poor Thai man dying. It has a lot more to do with people's social circles and choices than being

a foreigner.

It also could be gullible oil workers who are pulling the 3 months on 1 month off working off shore. Falling in slut love and then leaving the girl to be honorable and trustful for 3 months until they return and then only to find out their slut girl still had itches while they were gone but had found others to scratch them for her. Balconies and parking overhangs and now broken mirriors with door knobs are the new demise methods

More like 28 days on, 28 days off. Talking in general terms, what you say happens frequently. However, random generalisation is appalling and particularly so in this case. The lady in question did not ask Iain to smash in her window, thereby cutting his leg so badly that he bled to death. That was his choice, as was getting into a relationship with her in the first place. Alcohol fueled anger caused his death, not her.

Hub of mystery deaths. Plenty more to follow as Songkran approaches.

Stop talking utter <deleted> !!!!!!

Leaving aside there isn't a mystery here - can we have all your well researched info on the other 200 countries on this planet please so that we can understand your 'hub of mystery deaths' statement !

Some of you on here really need to get out more..................oh no hang on the big Thai bogey man will be waiting for you won't he !

Statistically a UK citizen in Thailand is 20x more likely to die than that same citizen in a western country.

This is a fairly well broadcast statistic, and often used as cause of death in Thailand is often misreported.

Australia has gathered a very similar statistic.

When one adds many visiting foreigners seemingly unquenchable desire to become involved with dubious partners/love triangles, alcohol, drugs, untutored riding of high power motorcycles, waterfalls and dodgy diving schools, etc, to the basic Thai threats (including but not confined to: general carelessness, appalling driving and yabba fuelled individual/group violence) and consider the major factor, that a huge percentage of long-term foreign residents are in the senior (lining up for a heart attack) zone, is it really so remarkable that Thailand is the new "White Mans Grave"?

• Like 2

Hub of mystery deaths. Plenty more to follow as Songkran approaches.

Stop talking utter <deleted> !!!!!!

Leaving aside there isn't a mystery here - can we have all your well researched info on the other 200 countries on this planet please so that we can understand your 'hub of mystery deaths' statement !

Some of you on here really need to get out more..................oh no hang on the big Thai bogey man will be waiting for you won't he !

Statistically a UK citizen in Thailand is 20x more likely to die than that same citizen in a western country.

This is a fairly well broadcast statistic, and often used as cause of death in Thailand is often misreported.

Australia has gathered a very similar statistic.

When one adds many visiting foreigners seemingly unquenchable desire to become involved with dubious partners/love triangles, alcohol, drugs, untutored riding of high power motorcycles, waterfalls and dodgy diving schools, etc, to the basic Thai threats (including but not confined to: general carelessness, appalling driving and yabba fuelled individual/group violence) and consider the major factor, that a huge percentage of long-term foreign residents are in the senior (lining up for a heart attack) zone, is it really so remarkable that Thailand is the new "White Mans Grave"?

Spot on mate.

A person has died, and we don't know exactly what happened. Why do you feel the need to promote your belief system in a time like this. It seems like you are just trolling in order to sprout your nonsense theory. Have some respect for the man.

• Like 1