Is It Brahma?

salz

The Four Faced Buddha which is popular in Thailand seems to be the Hindu god, Brahma? May I right to say it? There are lotsa worshippers and a famous shrine(Erawan Shrine) is located in Bangkok.

So there is a mixture of Hindu gods into Thai Buddhism?

By the way, people pray to Brahma for health and safety?

The Four Faced Buddha which is popular in Thailand seems to be the Hindu god, Brahma? May I right to say it? There are lotsa worshippers and a famous shrine(Erawan Shrine) is located in Bangkok.

It would be more accurate to say that there is a lot of animism in Thai religous belief. Worshipping four-faced Brahmas isn't Buddhism, but some Thais think it is.

There's more discussion on this subject in a previous topic here.

Generally Brahma seems to be a protective deity that you see outside most hotels and large office blocks. The Erawan Shrine is the exception in that it got a reputation for answering people's prayers for lottery ticket numbers, etc, and became popular with gamblers. A similar statue was built in Las Vegas a few years ago for Asian gamblers.

It is a Buddha - known in Thai as "Phra Pom Si Nah"

or the 4 faced buddha popular in many SE Asian countries

No not a four-faced Buddha, not a Buddha at all. Brahma, Hinduism's creator god. Rarely seen in shrines in India, only became popular in Thailand (from what I've been told at least) after the building of the Brahma shrine next to the Erawan Hotel (which later gave way to the Grand Hyatt Erawan).

as far as my personal researches found out this must be brahma! One of the Hindu trininty! I also found out that budhism is closely related to hinduism this goes especially for Thailand! You see a lot budhist wearing deities that origin in hinduism! Also there are a lot of budha statues with naga head around buddhas head! There is many more evidence that there is a lot of mixture! Shiva is also quiete often seen! and the elephant headed deity Ganesha! There are also a lot more! Vishnu.... And the monkey from national emblem Hanuman! It is also a deity from hindu!

And if you look at the national Thai book, i believe it is called Ramakiyen, it is a version of Indian Ramayana! I havent been long in thailand, also i'm very young, but i have seen that if you know this story you are quite familiar with thai culture! So i think thai budhism is a mixture with hinduism!

Also bushism has his origins in hinduism!

thats why i feel so related to thai budhism! It is very open to everything!

Thats what i found out, maybe some mistakes (hope not)

:o

Edited by UrbyBiser

No not a four-faced Buddha, not a Buddha at all. Brahma, Hinduism's creator god. Rarely seen in shrines in India, only became popular in Thailand (from what I've been told at least) after the building of the Brahma shrine next to the Erawan Hotel (which later gave way to the Grand Hyatt Erawan).

here is the explanation why the shrine was built: erawan shrine