What life to expat as 30y old Farang in Nakhon Si Thammarat ?

NeverFaFer

Hi,

We are expecting a baby and luckily I can get a few years off from work and live comfortably off our savings account.

She's got her own shop and making her own money as well. She is 26 I am close to 30.

I have only been there once for a week to see the family but was mostly a sightseeing trip and visiting the family, no real day to day life.

Are there some other expats in my age?

Are there any gyms to work out at?

Is it as safe as bangkok at night?

Good pubs or nightclubs? We both don't drink for obvious reasons but like to go out - me flying solo as well too.

What's the overall experience I can expect? On my last visit I felt like I was the only white guy in town and tourist attraction to all thais (no I don't have tats on my arms or look akward) ;)

Any serious input is very welcome.

Thanks,

Tom

Best advice is to (if you don't already) learn to speak some Thai. It will make the difference between being a "long term visitor" as opposed to being another white buffalo. Will also make you less dependent on your wife. I am sure there are fitness centers, but they may not be up to Western standards. Should be safe at night. Be cautious of other expats. I have had more trouble and ripoffs from expats than I ever had from Thai people. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Are there some other expats in my age?

Plenty of 25+ yr old farangs, mostly teachers/teflers

Are there any gyms to work out at?

Twin Lotus Hotel plus a couple of others

Is it as safe as bangkok at night?

Generally very safe. I never had a problem when I lived there although there have been a couple of minor incidents recently.

Good pubs or nightclubs? We both don't drink for obvious reasons but like to go out - me flying solo as well too.

You both don't drink but want to know where the pubs are? Rock99, Jamaica, Morgans, 60 to name but a few.

What's the overall experience I can expect?

Without knowing you, hard to say but I enjoy the place and if anything now, the only negatives are the ever increasing numbers of foreigners and the rate at which the city is expanding.

There has been a push by Travel magazines (Locals) to promote NST... Mostly the food shop and guest house/resorts... some have sections with a western point of view.

NST almost a decade in, Khun South has it covered.

Really do make an attempt to learn some Thai, even as Mickey Dees Drive through, it helps.

The most obvious is the housing development... Condo and single unit houses.

Fitness center, a long drive but the local university in Thasala, the fitness center has nice machines...it is open to outsiders, however, you will find students there looking in the mirror after 5 pumps.. 5555

Rock 99 is fun.. a dive but makes a decent cheeze burger..

Cheers

Living off a savings account at your age is stupid and terminal. All you are doing is deficit spending and after a few years your money is gone and you are older. If you money doesn't generate enough income in say dividends or interest or rent or royalties or whatever, then you shouldn't be stopping work and spending it. There is no future in that

I was in the same position. I came here with the idea of living here forever at same age as you with enough cash to get by for a few years. If there is a chance you're going to live in Thailand forever I'd use that few years you have to become fluent in Thai. Read, writing, speaking etc. (should be your mission). It is a big step towards making it here. That's how will have a life you enjoy, and will be able to raise your child well. There are lot of adjustments to make from there. Few make it, but anyone can. I wish you good luck.

Living off a savings account at your age is stupid and terminal. All you are doing is deficit spending and after a few years your money is gone and you are older. If you money doesn't generate enough income in say dividends or interest or rent or royalties or whatever, then you shouldn't be stopping work and spending it. There is no future in that

A bit judgemental don't you think! He's married with a baby on the way. I assume he's looking to try and make a life here, and if taking time out is affordable then why the hell not. People that take chances often make the most out of life!

OP. I know nothing of NST, but I wish you all the best.

If you are planning a life here then, as recommended already, learning the language is a priority as it will open up so many doors both socially and in business. You can get by if you don't, but your life in NST will be so much easy if you do.

........Enjoy the company of your wife and child. If you don't drink stay away from the bar night life. There is nothing more depressing than watching a bunch of adult drunks acting stupid around loose woman. After a while you will hear the same stupid jokes, and the same stupid flashing by premissues woman to get attention. Gets mighty old fast. Hanging around tourist will get you into trouble down the road.

Its best to stay away from the tourist spots. They tend to be over priced, and of poor quality. Scams are ramped and you might get involved. Find your own thing to do. Mall browsing, Temple hopping, sightseeing, are good starters. Bars are nothing but trouble. They breed bad people, and are surrounded with bad locals looking for a quick easy buck.

After a few weeks reading the Thai forum you will quickly realize this tourist thing going on in Thailand is nothing more than: Guy meets girl, girl takes money, guy is broke, girl leave guy for another. Guy gets depressed tries to kill himself. Or guy gets beaten up looses everything of value. Or guy falls in love, wants to extend his tourist visa. Same crap every week, only the name and nationality has changed.

Seems every scumbag from all over the world comes here to find that wonderful woman who will change his life forever. The truth of the matter is: Most end up scammed, Girlfriend ripped him off, broke, beaten up, ending up in jail, or even murdered. You will not find that in any touristy Thai flyer.

At this young age I would keep my job and build a good alternative to any pension and also bring the wife home and try to raise the child our way or in that case the western way with english and thai for language.

Come and visit the family every year with the baby and the wife also than return to work.

Best advice is to (if you don't already) learn to speak some Thai. It will make the difference between being a "long term visitor" as opposed to being another white buffalo. Will also make you less dependent on your wife. I am sure there are fitness centers, but they may not be up to Western standards. Should be safe at night. Be cautious of other expats. I have had more trouble and ripoffs from expats than I ever had from Thai people. Hope you enjoy your stay.

There are parks with exercise machines all over Thailand. It's likely there will be one or two in NST.

........Enjoy the company of your wife and child. If you don't drink stay away from the bar night life. There is nothing more depressing than watching a bunch of adult drunks acting stupid around loose woman. After a while you will hear the same stupid jokes, and the same stupid flashing by premissues woman to get attention. Gets mighty old fast. Hanging around tourist will get you into trouble down the road.

Its best to stay away from the tourist spots. They tend to be over priced, and of poor quality. Scams are ramped and you might get involved. Find your own thing to do. Mall browsing, Temple hopping, sightseeing, are good starters. Bars are nothing but trouble. They breed bad people, and are surrounded with bad locals looking for a quick easy buck.

After a few weeks reading the Thai forum you will quickly realize this tourist thing going on in Thailand is nothing more than: Guy meets girl, girl takes money, guy is broke, girl leave guy for another. Guy gets depressed tries to kill himself. Or guy gets beaten up looses everything of value. Or guy falls in love, wants to extend his tourist visa. Same crap every week, only the name and nationality has changed.

Seems every scumbag from all over the world comes here to find that wonderful woman who will change his life forever. The truth of the matter is: Most end up scammed, Girlfriend ripped him off, broke, beaten up, ending up in jail, or even murdered. You will not find that in any touristy Thai flyer.

Your last paragraph, these things you mention are 99.9% not going to happen if you stay sober, use common sense, and mind your own business.

Keep being a decent family man and you will have no problems.

I lives in NST for almost 14 years, it's a nice quiet town with many things to do. When I am over there I usually play golf on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Snooker afterwards is a must.

There is a gym at twin lotus hotel, a bit pricy, but it's there. Last time I was in town I also saw a few small gyms popping up in various places. At the two large parks there are some equipment to use for free. The hardcore guys will end up at the stadium for a gym there, I think it's 5 thb each time, but be prepared to wait for weights. A good way to practice Thai!

As for going out without drinking it is not a problem. Enjoy good food at 99 with shakes, soft drinks, or water. Everyone is friendly there...

The thing to remember is that most, if not all expats there, are working, and they live a party life. That said, they do have activities like ultimate freesbee, football (soccer) tournaments and other stuff, just grab a hold of the first white person you see and you are in the game...

There are girls of pleasure in NST, but unless it has changed for the last 2 months, it should not be a problem as they are in a certain part of town, not like most other cities.

It's easier to advice you on things if you give details as where you will stay, NST is a small city... But a big province...

Short distances to the beach and waterfalls... If you manage to cope with some boredom, you should be ok.

I will be back in July for a few months, maybe you will see me.

A bit pessimistic are we, Danny?

My first question would be why are you and your wife non-drinkers obviously? Then, I would ask about your intentions. Are you going to stay just long enough for wife and baby to be nurtured beyond infancy by her family, then depart; or are you intending to stay?

NST is a bit slow, with few farang amenities, and is well known for its Thai mafia influence. However, some of the oil & gas boys work out of there, so if you have a skill which could translate to a position in that industry, you may have a chance for a job. You can always teach English, your wife's business may be expandabe, or if your savings are enough, start your own business--a decent farang restaurant may make more of the O&G boys stay about.

The key will be your ability to acclimate and survive. So, do learn the culture and language, it will make life easier.

What a great opportunity! most people never see there kids grow up .. I guess not a good idea to live off savings but i thats your thing then go for it.

I find, that living in a non-tourist area is interesting - its important to have a hobby, that may be bikes, golf, fishing, gardening, cooking, making stuff for your place - otherwise you will go crazy. If someone told me i'd be making my own bread on a weekly basis a few years ago, I would have laughed at them,

If you don't go out drinking at home, why start here ? Just live as you would in your country.

For me, wife gets home at 6.30 pm, we talk about out day, do some cooking or go out, then chill infront of the TV. Just the same as the UK, except it doesnt rain so much.

I got to say, we have decent internet, gyms, TOPS and a place to get decent meat here in Hat Yai which makes life a lot easier

Thanks for all the replies. Funny how everyone is always worried about 'everyone else's' money - we got a combined monthly income of around 200-250k baht per month plus our savings.

We plan to stay in a house in a secure village which is not too close but not too far from her family. Any recommendations are welcome.

First of all we want to lower our overhead when moving to Nakhon. Paying 90,000baht rent in bkk or 20,000baht in Nakhon will make a difference.

On top of it her business is there so its easier for her to take care of her employees. One of her family members is the 'boss' while we go check on it once or twice a month.

Once the baby is old enough to be ready for school we plan to move back to bkk for better school options.

Thanks for all the serious replies!

A bit judgemental don't you think! He's married with a baby on the way. I assume he's looking to try and make a life here, and if taking time out is affordable then why the hell not. People that take chances often make the most out of life!

If you are planning a life here then, as recommended already, learning the language is a priority as it will open up so many doors both socially and in business. You can get by if you don't, but your life in NST will be so much easy if you do.

Yep, it is very presumptive on my part. But saying his plan is "Affordable" is a gross mis-characterizatione. It depends on your definition of affordable. If it means you can survive for three years, then the money is all gone, ok, you can call that affordable if you wish. Now what about the next 40 years? Spending the nest egg now without putting the money towards the future is certainly his choice.

Thanks for all the replies. Funny how everyone is always worried about 'everyone else's' money - we got a combined monthly income of around 200-250k baht per month plus our savings.

We plan to stay in a house in a secure village which is not too close but not too far from her family. Any recommendations are welcome.

First of all we want to lower our overhead when moving to Nakhon. Paying 90,000baht rent in bkk or 20,000baht in Nakhon will make a difference.

On top of it her business is there so its easier for her to take care of her employees. One of her family members is the 'boss' while we go check on it once or twice a month.

Once the baby is old enough to be ready for school we plan to move back to bkk for better school options.

In your original post you said you could "live off your savings". Now you are saying you have combined income plus those savings. That sounds quite different. Best of luck

In your original post you said you could "live off your savings". Now you are saying you have combined income plus those savings. That sounds quite different. Best of luck

Yes we do, we don't require our income to get by for a few years.

Yep, it is very presumptive on my part. But saying his plan is "Affordable" is a gross mis-characterizatione. It depends on your definition of affordable. If it means you can survive for three years, then the money is all gone, ok, you can call that affordable if you wish. Now what about the next 40 years? Spending the nest egg now without putting the money towards the future is certainly his choice.

There are a lot of details missing here. But the man has already said his wife owns a business that produces an income. So maybe they won't deplete his savings. But like a few others, I am curious to know what his motherland is ! And like others, I wish them the best.

I have to agree with the comment of being cautious of other farang. Ive had 2 that were only after money i.e. not real friendship.

Archived