What life to expat as 30y old Farang in Nakhon Si Thammarat ?

NeverFaFer

Living off a savings account at your age is stupid and terminal. All you are doing is deficit spending and after a few years your money is gone and you are older. If you money doesn't generate enough income in say dividends or interest or rent or royalties or whatever, then you shouldn't be stopping work and spending it. There is no future in that

A bit judgemental don't you think! He's married with a baby on the way. I assume he's looking to try and make a life here, and if taking time out is affordable then why the hell not. People that take chances often make the most out of life!

OP. I know nothing of NST, but I wish you all the best.

If you are planning a life here then, as recommended already, learning the language is a priority as it will open up so many doors both socially and in business. You can get by if you don't, but your life in NST will be so much easy if you do.

Yep, it is very presumptive on my part. But saying his plan is "Affordable" is a gross mis-characterizatione. It depends on your definition of affordable. If it means you can survive for three years, then the money is all gone, ok, you can call that affordable if you wish. Now what about the next 40 years? Spending the nest egg now without putting the money towards the future is certainly his choice.

I think "presumptive" is a better way of putting it. I didn't say "his plan IS affordable". I said IF.

I get that you were offering advice with good intentions, but you were doing so without all the information necessary to make your presumptive, critical judgement. Saving is about short, medium and long term, and as you don't know his financial position regarding all three, or his future earning potential, suggesting he's being "stupid" and that he's blowing his future is unfounded.

He's added a lot more information since which proves my point.

What a great opportunity! most people never see there kids grow up .. I guess not a good idea to live off savings but i thats your thing then go for it.

I find, that living in a non-tourist area is interesting - its important to have a hobby, that may be bikes, golf, fishing, gardening, cooking, making stuff for your place - otherwise you will go crazy. If someone told me i'd be making my own bread on a weekly basis a few years ago, I would have laughed at them,

If you don't go out drinking at home, why start here ? Just live as you would in your country.

For me, wife gets home at 6.30 pm, we talk about out day, do some cooking or go out, then chill infront of the TV. Just the same as the UK, except it doesnt rain so much.

I got to say, we have decent internet, gyms, TOPS and a place to get decent meat here in Hat Yai which makes life a lot easier

I too like Hatyai; however, I disagree with your statement, "most people never see there kids grow up" I think you may mean many expats miss so much of their children growing up because of their frequent absences. Please explain your meaning.

Living off a savings account at your age is stupid and terminal. All you are doing is deficit spending and after a few years your money is gone and you are older. If you money doesn't generate enough income in say dividends or interest or rent or royalties or whatever, then you shouldn't be stopping work and spending it. There is no future in that

A bit judgemental don't you think! He's married with a baby on the way. I assume he's looking to try and make a life here, and if taking time out is affordable then why the hell not. People that take chances often make the most out of life!

If you are planning a life here then, as recommended already, learning the language is a priority as it will open up so many doors both socially and in business. You can get by if you don't, but your life in NST will be so much easy if you do.

Yep, it is very presumptive on my part. But saying his plan is "Affordable" is a gross mis-characterizatione. It depends on your definition of affordable. If it means you can survive for three years, then the money is all gone, ok, you can call that affordable if you wish. Now what about the next 40 years? Spending the nest egg now without putting the money towards the future is certainly his choice.
I think "presumptive" is a better way of putting it. I didn't say "his plan IS affordable". I said IF.

I get that you were offering advice with good intentions, but you were doing so without all the information necessary to make your presumptive, critical judgement. Saving is about short, medium and long term, and as you don't know his financial position regarding all three, or his future earning potential, suggesting he's being "stupid" and that he's blowing his future is unfounded.

I think gk10002000 may be limiting his statements to those who blow their entire earnings and do not invest. I did expat contract work my entire working life. I often took one or two years off in between contracts. However, I always invested the majority of what I made and went back to work before I spent my holiday allowance; thus, having still more to invest.

No he didn't. In fact he just said in another post that "Yes we do, we don't require our income to get by for a few years. " So he plans on spending down his savings. Or something is lost in translation. Doesn't matter to me it is his life. he posted asking for opinions and I gave mine. He is free to do as he chooses.

I was with an American Dr Lady and Thai Temple helpers,with a

Govt. architect family, and in the highly cooperative village,

was appreciated as 'European', the polite word for Haole/Farang.

Some secretly spoke some English, and I was highly valued as a speaker

Of Business English?

I think..

?

Expect a lot of noise

YES YES YES YES YES.....MORE NOISE THAN YOU HAVE EVER IMAGINED.

....AND I DON'T MEAN THE BABY......GOOD LUCK

I found learning Thai not always helpful as many Nakhon people speak in southern slang. Yes they do SHOUT across the rooftops. They aren't angry just being their normal affable selves. I find them some of the friendliest people I have ever met in the country.

I gave earplugs to construction workers..cutting metal, etc.

Wearing headphones ? helped me.

Thais do talk loud sometimes.Our Thai Architecture friend spoke

quiet to his baby boy though. Cause of his Mom, the little boy spoke English.

Maybe that's why I love ❤ Thainess..

I'm joshing..

........Enjoy the company of your wife and child. If you don't drink stay away from the bar night life. There is nothing more depressing than watching a bunch of adult drunks acting stupid around loose woman. After a while you will hear the same stupid jokes, and the same stupid flashing by premissues woman to get attention. Gets mighty old fast. Hanging around tourist will get you into trouble down the road.

Its best to stay away from the tourist spots. They tend to be over priced, and of poor quality. Scams are ramped and you might get involved. Find your own thing to do. Mall browsing, Temple hopping, sightseeing, are good starters. Bars are nothing but trouble. They breed bad people, and are surrounded with bad locals looking for a quick easy buck.

After a few weeks reading the Thai forum you will quickly realize this tourist thing going on in Thailand is nothing more than: Guy meets girl, girl takes money, guy is broke, girl leave guy for another. Guy gets depressed tries to kill himself. Or guy gets beaten up looses everything of value. Or guy falls in love, wants to extend his tourist visa. Same crap every week, only the name and nationality has changed.

Seems every scumbag from all over the world comes here to find that wonderful woman who will change his life forever. The truth of the matter is: Most end up scammed, Girlfriend ripped him off, broke, beaten up, ending up in jail, or even murdered. You will not find that in any touristy Thai flyer.

Have you ever lived in NST? Your post comes off as a generalization of the farrang ghettos of Pattaya, Samui and Phuket.

• 2 weeks later...

First off congrats on the upcoming birth, my wife and I had our first child a little over a year ago.

I am 31. my wife 33, so I feel I can give a decent idea from an age perspective.

We were working in Kuwait the past 8 years and we have always come to Nakhon Si because her parents lived here. It has changed a lot since when I first started coming, mainly in shopping/places to eat and the amount of traffic and other farang you will see.

For gyms there are a few , already mentioned was Twin Lotus. You will notice most Thais in Nakhon run, bike, or play football at one of the many parks that are here. There are also some Muay Thai gyms, I have only been to one, but a friend told me at the military base they have an open gym.

I can speak Thai, not fluent but conversational and it does help a lot, if your wife is from the south then it helps with the accent and slang.

I have been bouncing between the U.S. and Thailand the past 6 months with the last 3 being in Nakhon. I would suggest a routine, like fitness, going to the waterfalls, traveling to nearby cities/places of interest. I like hanging out at Copee at night or visiting other historical places in Nakhon.

Central is under construction now so once that is finished there will be another place to go.

I don't know if you are in Nakhon now but I will be here until the 12th if you want to meet up somewhere.

I

There are far, far worse places to live on this planet than NST, that's for sure!

However, at thirty years of age I think you might find it a bit boring at first, especially after living in Bangkok.

That said, experiencing the joy of fatherhood will fill in a huge chunk of that hole.

Focus on teaching you child English; you can't put a price tag on that skill.

Best of luck.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the replies. Funny how everyone is always worried about 'everyone else's' money - we got a combined monthly income of around 200-250k baht per month plus our savings.

We plan to stay in a house in a secure village which is not too close but not too far from her family. Any recommendations are welcome.

First of all we want to lower our overhead when moving to Nakhon. Paying 90,000baht rent in bkk or 20,000baht in Nakhon will make a difference.

On top of it her business is there so its easier for her to take care of her employees. One of her family members is the 'boss' while we go check on it once or twice a month.

Once the baby is old enough to be ready for school we plan to move back to bkk for better school options.

Thanks for all the serious replies!

Well now, taken by alll pearls of wisdom given on TV... how is NST and life treating you? Enjoying the coffee shops, Micky Dees, Central will pop up in a year or so.

Cheers.

Actually, as you know.. a certain amphur contains all the hitman you can hire...infact, a certain mayor seems to always change or is removed.. the Governor is often rotated.. but if you can avoid all that.. The place has some of its charm.. the beach areas for starters..

Some of the angriest and most violent men come from NST...but maybe they are all here on Samui and you will get lucky.You should google the origins of the locals,it may surprise you.

And you would be amazed at what major institution is in close proximity...

• 5 months later...

What a great opportunity! most people never see there kids grow up .. I guess not a good idea to live off savings but i thats your thing then go for it.

I find, that living in a non-tourist area is interesting - its important to have a hobby, that may be bikes, golf, fishing, gardening, cooking, making stuff for your place - otherwise you will go crazy. If someone told me i'd be making my own bread on a weekly basis a few years ago, I would have laughed at them,

If you don't go out drinking at home, why start here ? Just live as you would in your country.

For me, wife gets home at 6.30 pm, we talk about out day, do some cooking or go out, then chill infront of the TV. Just the same as the UK, except it doesnt rain so much.

I got to say, we have decent internet, gyms, TOPS and a place to get decent meat here in Hat Yai which makes life a lot easier

I too like Hatyai; however, I disagree with your statement, "most people never see there kids grow up" I think you may mean many expats miss so much of their children growing up because of their frequent absences. Please explain your meaning.

Sorry .. Most people in the west don't really have the time we have the benefit of here. I don't know about expats and their absences.

I can only compare my life, but if I had kids I would be able to spend more time with them here than I would have living in the west.

Sorry .. Most people in the west don't really have the time we have the benefit of here. I don't know about expats and their absences.

I can only compare my life, but if I had kids I would be able to spend more time with them here than I would have living in the west.

Don't really follow you. Why do you have more time here? Are you retired? If you were working here you would spend time working, commuting, on business trips, etc. It would be similar to working in the West, would it not? If you were retired in the West, it would be similar to being retired here. Certainly, differences exist: climate, costs, foods, culture, etc., even time zone, but an amount difference in time?

Don't really follow you. Why do you have more time here? Are you retired? If you were working here you would spend time working, commuting, on business trips, etc. It would be similar to working in the West, would it not? If you were retired in the West, it would be similar to being retired here. Certainly, differences exist: climate, costs, foods, culture, etc., even time zone, but an amount difference in time?

Doesn't really matter what I'm doing .. The OP said months back his wife was expecting a baby and he would be coming over, I presume he was taking a sabbatical at the age of 30 to look after his newborn and see him/her grow up - which I think is a fantastic idea.

With regard to time .. You don't think even working here you don't get more quality time living in Thailand ? That's up to you.

On a good day in the UK working in the city, I would commute for 90 minutes each way, I was out of the house until the last train somedays, other times working abroad or living in hotels for months on end.

Giving up the rat race and allowing myself time to enjoy my surroundings is was the driving force to move here.

In the UK I could never dream of living 10 minutes door-to-door - maybe your life was different, I checked that the average traveling time for an American is 25 minutes, in the London, 75 minutes.

Quality time is not more time.

Then it's not Thailand, but the proximity to work, which gives you more time here.

I have always thought of it as being at work every time I arose before I wanted to. Therefore, if I cannot telecommute, I move near where I work.

Archived