decent burger

willfreeman

I had a Dukes Single Bacon Cheese burger the other day (from Maya). I was drooling over the monster burgers on the menu, but from experience, I know everything is oversized at Dukes and sensibly opted for a single burger.

I enjoyed the burger and have nothing negative to say about it (except I didn't eat the accompaning dressing (pink, looked like 100 Island) as I've never enjoyed their dressings in the past).

The hand cut fries are 'ok' - would've preferred proper chips. They're certainly a vast improvement on the fies from McShit.

I'd happily order this again, but I might try Rock Me next as so many people have said positive things about their burgers.

I've been to Duke's twice now and was sufficiently underwhelmed both times for there not to be a third time. It's not that anything was bad per se - but the price:value ratio was so far out of whack it was incredible. It is absolutely inexcusable for a Western restaurant charging premium prices to dump the main course on the table with the starter... particularly when your main course is a rare steak (and thus needs polishing off pretty quickly given the post-cooking temperature). Waitresses who were only too happy to loom over the table during the first 30 seconds of sitting down and then barely to be seen following that moment; I shouldn't need to beg someone to pay. And food that was nothing more than alright. None of which would be a problem until you realize that 2 drinks, 2 starters and 2 main courses came to 2,000 Baht... which is premium pricing and ought to represent a premium product with premium service.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a Dukes Single Bacon Cheese burger the other day (from Maya). I was drooling over the monster burgers on the menu, but from experience, I know everything is oversized at Dukes and sensibly opted for a single burger.

I enjoyed the burger and have nothing negative to say about it (except I didn't eat the accompaning dressing (pink, looked like 100 Island) as I've never enjoyed their dressings in the past).

The hand cut fries are 'ok' - would've preferred proper chips. They're certainly a vast improvement on the fies from McShit.

I'd happily order this again, but I might try Rock Me next as so many people have said positive things about their burgers.

I've been to Duke's twice now and was sufficiently underwhelmed both times for there not to be a third time. It's not that anything was bad per se - but the price:value ratio was so far out of whack it was incredible. It is absolutely inexcusable for a Western restaurant charging premium prices to dump the main course on the table with the starter... particularly when your main course is a rare steak (and thus needs polishing off pretty quickly given the post-cooking temperature). Waitresses who were only too happy to loom over the table during the first 30 seconds of sitting down and then barely to be seen following that moment; I shouldn't need to beg someone to pay. And food that was nothing more than alright. None of which would be a problem until you realize that 2 drinks, 2 starters and 2 main courses came to 2,000 Baht... which is premium pricing and ought to represent a premium product with premium service.

Yes, but this thread is about Burgers, not steaks or restaurants in general.

As far as the burgers are concerned, Dukes are reasonably priced in my opinion and taste good.

I had mine delivered by Food Panda, and the delivery guy handed me my food with a smile, so no complaints there either.

Yes, but this thread is about Burgers, not steaks or restaurants in general.

As far as the burgers are concerned, Dukes are reasonably priced in my opinion and taste good.

I had mine delivered by Food Panda, and the delivery guy handed me my food with a smile, so no complaints there either.

I picked up my B32 from the local Tesco/Lotus express .Tasted really good .A round trip on my motorcycle of 200 meters .( Price is relative to the purchasers wealth though ) . After i had eaten i had a little smile to myself .(did not need another to smile for me ;-)

OK I'm putting this to bed. After research i've discovered that the owner is a Chinese investor trying to break into the Chiang Mai restaurant scene. Classic is his first venture and I'm sure not his last. I wish Khun Phatmaas the best of luck

OK I'm putting this to bed. After research i've discovered that the owner is a Chinese investor trying to break into the Chiang Mai restaurant scene. Classic is his first venture and I'm sure not his last. I wish Khun Phatmaas the best of luck

There is a rather fat gent there who looks like a manager /owner .Talks and looks like a Westener .Not Chinese .

There is a rather fat gent there who looks like a manager /owner .Talks and looks like a Westener .Not Chinese .

His name is Craig, an American with a Thai wife. Nice guy. He sat with me and talked about his local sources for the beef, cheese and bacon he uses in his burgers. Even offered me a free piece of bacon to try. (It was very good.) He gave me a complimentary card with a couple of stamps on it toward a free meal. His wife runs the place when he's not there. I like it and hope it stays around for a while.

I know everybody probably got bored of this.

I was in Classic this week for a breakfast pattie but mainly to scrounge off their great internet connection.

Whilst I was there a large stainless steel meat mincer was delivered shortly followed by what looked like a good portion of cow in one piece. The guy, who i presume is the owner, said that they were going to make their own burgers from scratch including mincing up the meat. He said they were using

Rib Eye steak and following advice from Heston Blumental.

Personally I think they opened five years too late as there are burger places everywhere in Chiang Mai now but if his aim is to produce the best burger in CM he seems to be going the right way about it.

By the way, I asked, he is from Hawaii

I was in Classic this week for a breakfast pattie but mainly to scrounge off their great internet connection.

Whilst I was there a large stainless steel meat mincer was delivered shortly followed by what looked like a good portion of cow in one piece. The guy, who i presume is the owner, said that they were going to make their own burgers from scratch including mincing up the meat. He said they were using

Personally I think they opened five years too late as there are burger places everywhere in Chiang Mai now but if his aim is to produce the best burger in CM he seems to be going the right way about it.

what an incredible coincidence. The last time that you were at classic you noticed they have a proper flame grill not a hot plate like most other places. This time you witnessed the delivery of a mincer and half a cow. You have the uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time. BTW rib eye steaks come from less than 10% of the entire animal so if you saw what looked like a good portion of a cow, I'm positive that a small fraction of that was rib eye. Rib eye coming from angus or charolais would be a superior cut of meat, but coming from a local poorly fed cow would not have the same quantities

what an incredible coincidence. The last time that you were at classic you noticed they have a proper flame grill not a hot plate like most other places. This time you witnessed the delivery of a mincer and half a cow. You have the uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time. BTW rib eye steaks come from less than 10% of the entire animal so if you saw what looked like a good portion of a cow, I'm positive that a small fraction of that was rib eye. Rib eye coming from angus or charolais would be a superior cut of meat, but coming from a local poorly fed cow would not have the same quantities

Are you a butcher?

Are you a butcher?

Heston Blumenthal uses sirloin for his burgers NOT rib eye, so if you haven't ground the large portion of cow yet cut it into steaks

I believe I said with advice from Heston not following a recipe. He actually has several different burger recipes the latest of which use chuck steak.

Does Heston have anything to do with this restaurant or is this just a lame attempt at name dropping?

I believe I said with advice from Heston not following a recipe. He actually has several different burger recipes the latest of which use chuck steak.

Does Heston have anything to do with this restaurant or is this just a lame attempt at name dropping?

Havent you heard ?? Its his new venture.. Hes realized the real money isnt in 3 star michelin restaurants in capital cities.. But 99 baht burgers in the developing world, thats where the real action in the food scene is these days.

This thread is proof.

Archived