decent burger

willfreeman

Duke's can make a decent burger, but the last time I went to the riverside location, the meat had all the juices cooked out of it and the fries were literally glistening with oil. Either their standards aren't standard, or they have started to lose the plot, or both.

Shame too, as when they have their mojo working, the burgers are pretty ok.

Duke's can make a decent burger, but the last time I went to the riverside location, the meat had all the juices cooked out of it and the fries were literally glistening with oil. Either their standards aren't standard, or they have started to lose the plot, or both.

Tend to agree → think their A team talent got spread out and the Riverside location is now their training center.....Not sure which one to frequent anymore.....50/50 now.....Sadly.....

I had heard rumors so I talked to Dave about it. He said two things both true. The first is if it is not right tell the server right away or let him know. That way they can do some thing about it.

Secondly it is September and not busy at all this is normal and the staff tends to get lazy.

as long as I have known Dave he has always said let them know right away if some thing is wrong.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes surprisingly nice burger at Jeffer! the last place I thought of but they made a pretty tasty burger but I don't know about now

Jeffers restaurant fourth floor Central Airport Plaza. 99 baht very nice hamburger with lettuce, tomato and onion. Small order of fries and small salad. Consistently good beef.

Nailed it. They keep over-cooking the fries now compared to 6 months ago.

Closest - and better IMO = Papa Rocks....After giving up on an exceptional burger here I finally found it there ....7" across on a homemade bun - In spite of myself have one a week there.....Keep thinking I'll have something else but can't get past the burger.....Order a Big Bopper burger and a 4 Tops pizza and eat there....sometimes order the ham or pastrami or chicken to go to try but aways end up back to the burger....

Maybe they were having an off day, but I was really disappointed by Papa Rocks after reading all the hype online- yes, the burger is huge, but there was nothing about the overall quality that was exceptional or even that good, frankly. I had a much better burger at Rock Me, and they're OK but nothing special. The only time I've had a burger at Dukes was at their old location in BKK at the Emporium (which has since closed- I believe it was part of the same franchise, though)- it was a while ago but I remember it as being quite good- I should try one of their CM branches.

Closest - and better IMO = Papa Rocks....After giving up on an exceptional burger here I finally found it there ....7" across on a homemade bun - In spite of myself have one a week there.....Keep thinking I'll have something else but can't get past the burger.....Order a Big Bopper burger and a 4 Tops pizza and eat there....sometimes order the ham or pastrami or chicken to go to try but aways end up back to the burger....

Maybe they were having an off day, but I was really disappointed by Papa Rocks after reading all the hype online- yes, the burger is huge, but there was nothing about the overall quality that was exceptional or even that good, frankly. I had a much better burger at Rock Me, and they're OK but nothing special. The only time I've had a burger at Dukes was at their old location in BKK at the Emporium (which has since closed- I believe it was part of the same franchise, though)- it was a while ago but I remember it as being quite good- I should try one of their CM branches.

Only the river branch does the 129 Baht burger/149 Baht cheeseburger set as far as I know. The Night Bazaar one has the more strong sauce laden choices.

Never tried Papa rocks as I don't know where they are. I like the one at Rock me on Loi Kroh. It was a good burger. The thing I didn't like about it was they put an egg on it which I like if they would over easy on it. They wouldn't it was either sunny side up or scrambled. So far the best I have experienced is the one at Dukes with Blue cheese and the double whopper with bacon at the Burger King. For a really good plain Jane Geckos has an out standing burger also.

Never tried Papa rocks as I don't know where they are. I like the one at Rock me on Loi Kroh. It was a good burger. The thing I didn't like about it was they put an egg on it which I like if they would over easy on it. They wouldn't it was either sunny side up or scrambled. So far the best I have experienced is the one at Dukes with Blue cheese and the double whopper with bacon at the Burger King. For a really good plain Jane Geckos has an out standing burger also.

Papa Rocks is across the street from Hang Dong #1 Big C.....Kitty corner more or less from Pizza n Pasta @ the exit on the 3rd? Ring road closest cross street....Not fancy but good.....Many rate it now the highest....

I have never found complaining -- to Thais or foreigners here -- to be of much use. Either you get resentful service after that, you get the same thing over again, or in some cases you get open hostility (I will leave it to another member to recall his experience at a restaurant on the moat where returning the dish as poor quality resulted in the kitchen staff, at the command of the farang owner, coming after his and his guest diners with pieces of pipe in their hands...).

If you have spread yourself too thin, it will be harder to control the workers and keep standards high.

I am not sure of the logic of "...it is September and not busy at all this is normal and the staff tends to get lazy." So with less work, the cooks and staff can't cook correctly to the standard because they have too little to do?

"Hey Somchai, get off your backside, we have a hamburger order."

"Holy crap, do I have to cook it? How about if I just ruin it? How's that?"

"Nice!"

By the way, on that day at Duke's there was a young man, maybe in his 20s, who was there wearing a uniform and a name tag. No possible way that he could be working legally -- "My work permit is for wait-staff/bus boy." I don't know what the deal was with that, but unless he was actually a Thai with pretty good farang plastic surgery (hey, there's a new angle...), shouldn't he have been keeping an eye on quality? Or was he some sort of window dressing?

I have never found complaining -- to Thais or foreigners here -- to be of much use. Either you get resentful service after that, you get the same thing over again, or in some cases you get open hostility (I will leave it to another member to recall his experience at a restaurant on the moat where returning the dish as poor quality resulted in the kitchen staff, at the command of the farang owner, coming after his and his guest diners with pieces of pipe in their hands...).

If you have spread yourself too thin, it will be harder to control the workers and keep standards high.

I am not sure of the logic of "...it is September and not busy at all this is normal and the staff tends to get lazy." So with less work, the cooks and staff can't cook correctly to the standard because they have too little to do?

"Nice!"

By the way, on that day at Duke's there was a young man, maybe in his 20s, who was there wearing a uniform and a name tag. No possible way that he could be working legally -- "My work permit is for wait-staff/bus boy." I don't know what the deal was with that, but unless he was actually a Thai with pretty good farang plastic surgery (hey, there's a new angle...), shouldn't he have been keeping an eye on quality? Or was he some sort of window dressing?

You must be at a different place than I. My only experience with complaining was they offered to fix it. A friend of mine got a hamburger one night at the same place and sent it back because it was only half cooked. No problem they fixed it. We both have ate at the same place often since then no problem.

As for getting lazy there is more than one way to get lazy. It sounds interesting about the one with the name tag. I do know a fellow who would fit the description but his father is part owner in the establishment. Never know what is happening when it comes to Visas.

I am glad I have the single retired one. Easy to understand. The rest confuse me.

"Nice!"

Sorry if you had a bad experience but we do fix things if there is a problem. Sure it's a hassle and most folks don't want to go through it for one reason or another. The Duke's serves hundreds of burgers a day and a lot of fries. We constantly work with our staffs to make sure they are following standards from the fresh grinding of the beef to the cooking. Everyday we are going over quality and preparation as well as sanitation. It's not easy.

That being said for some reason when it gets slow staff seems to be sleeping or just not paying attention and we have to go over things more.

The Duke's grinds it's 100% Australian beef fresh very day, we bake our buns from scratch, cure our pickles and make fresh sauce. Lots of time goes into each burger. If they don't toast the bun, season the burger and cook it right it ruins the whole thing.

We have experienced kitchen managers in each of our restaurants that have been with us for years, some as long as 9 years. They know what they are doing but sometimes things get by them. We work with them every week with certain upper level culinary managers. Sometimes everyday. In fact just from your complaint Lattana went around to all the restaurants to talk with the kitchen heads and the cooks about your concerns. Will that fix anything? Until the next time it happens. So for us it's not a problem to redo you a burger. Better they hear about it when it happens so they can bring it to the person responsible.

Ask for a manager, not me, I'll be at the beach.

As far as your "wait staff/buss boy" maybe someone was pulling your leg.

RE: your Duke’s experience with a burger.

Anyone who has lived in Chiang Mai long enough knows that one of the few owner/managers who cares about quality control is David.

Some of you love to bitch but never seem to complain on the spot… David, his managers or wait staff will make it good.

I never have understood the mentally of some of you posters who always try and knock down a good thing of some who cares about serving good food.

RE: your Duke’s experience with a burger.

Anyone who has lived in Chiang Mai long enough knows that one of the few owner/managers who cares about quality control is David.

Some of you love to bitch but never seem to complain on the spot… David, his managers or wait staff will make it good.

I never have understood the mentally of some of you posters who always try and knock down a good thing of some who cares about serving good food.

I agree 100% about letting the staff know about a problem. Lately however I've been ordering takeaway on line. The last two meals arriving at my door have been unacceptable. It's not the delivery service it's the chef. So now I'm

at my table with the pizza topping sliding off the dough on to the table top.

Maybe they were having an off day, but I was really disappointed by Papa Rocks after reading all the hype online- yes, the burger is huge, but there was nothing about the overall quality that was exceptional or even that good, frankly. I had a much better burger at Rock Me, and they're OK but nothing special.

I think papa rocks gets such glowing reports based more on its value.. And as its an out of town expat location thats not a bad way to lean, if he over priced and gourmet'ed it too much it wouldnt get fit the customer profile.

I also think rock me is a better burger.. But papa rocks have a decent selection of bagettes burgers kebabs etc and does well.

Once Dukes opened at the Promenada we've never been back to the other locations. Burgers there at Promenada have been great every time.

Grin

The last time I had a burger at the Dukes Promenada it was badly undercooked. I sent it back, and heard the Farang chef (older guy, grey hair, not Dave) telling the Thai how to cook it properly..

I thought it strange that the Farang didn't come to ask me if the replacement burger was okay, it's only manners.. well it's put me off eating the burgers now sad.png

IMHO, the pizzas are overrated as well..coffee1.gif

Once Dukes opened at the Promenada we've never been back to the other locations. Burgers there at Promenada have been great every time.

Grin

The last time I had a burger at the Dukes Promenada it was badly undercooked. I sent it back, and heard the Farang chef (older guy, grey hair, not Dave) telling the Thai how to cook it properly..

I thought it strange that the Farang didn't come to ask me if the replacement burger was okay, it's only manners.. well it's put me off eating the burgers now sad.png

IMHO, the pizzas are overrated as well..coffee1.gif

In other words your complaint was taken care of you just didn't get the head chief to personally attend to you.

Sounds more to me like you are interested less in good food than receiving personal attention that is up to your standards. Was there any one else serving you that did not live up to your standards of service?

Had a very good burger last week at the Red Tree restaurant in yet jod area.

Very good value for money.

How much was the burger set ? Looked at their trip adviser photos... looks great.

I had the normal burger which was huge already added extra bacon and cheese.

Think it was around 250.- bath with all the condiments. ( baked potato, gratin vegetables , salad and steamed carrots )

Reefer -- refrigerator, U.S. slang. Not as common as fridge. Actually may just be slang in our extended family. I know my step-nieces and nephews use it.

Maybe the reason that people in your family say reefer is that they don't want to say the word marijuana in front if grandma.

I've had undercooked burgers as well, but some people (Westerners especially) prefer them that way, and it's not a bad choice when the beef is really good. Most Thai people however wouldn't go near those, and I'm also a bit hesitant to feed them to kids.

' not a bad choice when the beef is really good.' Guess you don't know much about parasites and nasty stomach upsets.

I've had undercooked burgers as well, but some people (Westerners especially) prefer them that way, and it's not a bad choice when the beef is really good. Most Thai people however wouldn't go near those, and I'm also a bit hesitant to feed them to kids.

' not a bad choice when the beef is really good.' Guess you don't know much about parasites and nasty stomach upsets.

That's why I said I'd be hesitant to feed them to kids. However, if it's quality beef, and it's ground right before making the burger, then it's not too different from any other steak served medium / medium-rare. Millions of people eat steaks that way without dying (immediately).

That's why I said I'd be hesitant to feed them to kids. However, if it's quality beef, and it's ground right before making the burger, then it's not too different from any other steak served medium / medium-rare. Millions of people eat steaks that way without dying (immediately).

A walk through the markets where most Thais buy there meat--no refrigeration or even A/C, meat exposed to heat and flies for hours--will convince most people to have their meat cooked well-done.

Archived