Immigration officer being officious.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just be prepared & on the ball & don't just assume you have right of entry.

Indeed elite card is handy but it typical product of this $ loving country & something I would not want support or really have a need for.

What I would like to see is all immigration singing from the same hymn sheet with professionalism rather than the current scenario where each group runs their special rules & scams & behave like moody babies ...

I have traveled all over the world and many places where Tourists were not allowed to go, and the worst Immigration I have ever faced was Immigration Officers from my own country in Canada. The 2nd worst was the UK. So it seems to me that being moody and rude is a common trait among Immigration Officers World Wide.

As mentioned by me, Immigration Officers have the right to refuse you entry for any reason at all, and with any Visa you may hold, and there is really nothing you can do about it except smile. So far, the only complaints I have heard from holders about the Elite Visa Card was the cost. Nobody has mentioned that they were refused entry when they hold one.

You mentioned that you don't support the Elite Visa Card as it appears to you as a scam. Perhaps in a way to earn more dollars from the regular tourist here it is. But you also mention that you have no need of one, so this changes the rules a lot. It is easy to criticize this type of Visa when you may have a Retirement Visa, like me, and thus don't need this one.

But the person who started this post may not be in the same situation as we are. Who want to come here every other month on their leave, as many people I know do, but don't want the hassle at the airport for coming here too much and perhaps being refused entry because of that. So I assume he was looking for an alternative to this, and I offered him one by suggesting the Elite Visa Card. You did not.

As mentioned by me, Immigration Officers have the right to refuse you entry for any reason at all, and with any Visa you may hold, and there is really nothing you can do about it except smile

The difference in Thailand is that the Immigration Act clearly specifies the reasons for which an immigration officer may deny entry to a foreigner, which means that such denial cannot be for any reason.

Section 12 : Aliens which fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the
Kingdom :
1. Having no genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport ; or having a
genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of a passport without Visaing by the Royal Thai
Embassies or Consulates in Foreign countries ; or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs , excepting if a visa
is not required for certain types of aliens in special instances.
Visaing and visa exemption will be under the learn and conditions as provided in the Ministerial
Regulations.
2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom.
3. Having entered into the Kingdom to take occupation as a laborer or to take employment by
using physical without skills training or to work in violation of the Ministerial Regulations.
4. Being mentally unstable or having any of the disease as prescribed in the Ministerial
Regulations.
5. Having not yet been vaccinated against smalllpox or inoculated or undergone any other
medical treatment for protection against disease and having refused to have such vaccinations
administered by the Immigration Doctor.
6. Having been imprisoned by the judgement of the Thai Court ; or by a lawful injunction ; or by
the judgement of the Court of foreign country , except when the penalty is foe petty offense or negligence
or is provided for as an exception in the Ministerial Regulations.
7. Having behavior which would indicated possible danger to the public or likelihood of being a
nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or
to the security of the nation , or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign
governments.
8. Reason to believe that entrance into the Kingdom was for the purpose of being involved in
prostitution , the trading of woman of children , drug smuggling , or other types of smuggling which are
contrary to the public morality.
9. Having no money or bond as prescribed by the Minister under him
10. Being a person prohibited by the Minister under Section 16.
11. Being deported by either the Government of Thailand that of or other foreign countries ; or
the right of stay in the Kingdom or in foreign countries having been revoked ; or having been sent out of
the Kingdom by competent officials at the expense of the Government of Thailand unless the Minister
shall consider exemption on an individual special case basis.
The examination and diagnosis of disease of a physical or mental nature , including protective
operations as against disease , shall be conducted by the Immigration Doctor.

When a Thai immigration officer denies entry to a foreigner, the stamp he puts in the passport indicates the number or numbers of the paragraphs of the above section of the Immigration Act for which entry was denied. An example of such stamp:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DNNbV8KOXXo/VBvhNTe69bI/AAAAAAAAN6A/IzBvJlojhEM/s765/Entry%2520refused%2520Bangkok%252020140916.jpg

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hi ,

I am working offshore 4 weeks on / 4 weeks off, meaning I spend less than 90 days in the kingdom over a period of 6 months.

I am staying in the country using the stamp on arrival since almost 7 years with this rhythm which seems to be fine regarding the law.

Last time I went through the airport customs, officer told me that the law changed and from now on, one was allow to stay only 90 days per "year" in the kingdom using the stamp on arrival....

They let me enter the Kingdom but wrote a warning just under the stamp in my passport....

Since then, I am looking all over the different official Thai website and all other kind of information source to know if there is a new law but so far I did find nothing!

How can I be sure that such a new law has not been voted?

If nothing changed, how can I prove it to the customs officer?

Best Regards.

I got the same thing back in January, made a note under the stamp that it would be my last, and they made me sign it.

As is previously stated, the official "law" has no limitation in the number of exempt stamps.

But,
I couldn't be bothered, knowing I was going to be continuously hassled/interrogated about this. Not the nicest thing after coming off shift and spending 8 hours in the air to get to Thailand.

I now have an elite visa.

That's is what I would do if I was ever in the same situation again. I used to come every other month to, but got a Retirement Visa before all the fuss.

But like you, I would rather spend the money and get the Elite Visa then get hassled. There are rules here that favor you, but perhaps the most common universal rule is that an Immigration Officer has the right to refuse you entry into there country no matter what, or Visa you may have. Let alone not having one at all.

Having a Visa has also made my life easier while coming here. Easier to open a Bank Account with one for instance. Now others here will say you don't need that to do this, just go to different banks if you are refused. Blah! Blah! Blah! But notice I said "Easier" to do, and not impossible to do without one. Or buying a Car or Property. And the List goes on.

I have almost worn off the cover of my Passport from pulling it out from my pocket so many times to show my Visa when I just about want to do anything here these days. So if you don't want the hassle or worry, and you come here all the time anyway, then invest in an Elite Visa Card, and your problems and worries will go away.

But if would rather be a Cheap Charlie, and argue with Immigration late at night after a log flight, then Up-to-you!

I totally agree with you; as I am planning to stay in Thailand for good, I'd better clarify my situation and get a proper visa in order to ease my life.

My very personal problem is that my girlfriend and I are planing to get married next year and so, paying 500k Thb for an Elite Visa when I will be entitled next year to an O-A visa.... I don't know if it is being a Cheap Charlie.....but it is is still big money for me.

I think I will have to pop up that ring faster than expected....

With a Marriage Visa, you will still need 400K Baht in the Bank in your name only, for 2 months (or is it 3 months now). There is also a fare amount of documentation you will need to submit along with your application, including photos of you and your wife together in a home setting, and are subject to a visit from the Immigration Office, although I think this is quite rare. But being Newly Weds, this may happen to you. You also need to apply every year,

Some posters here have stated that applying every year for there Marriage Visa is only mildly unpleasant, where others have stated it is a complete pain in the..... Some have stated that they were hassled when making this application, and sent back home for more paperwork several times, where others have stated it has gone quite smoothly. Personally for me, the less time I have to spend in a Que in an Immigration Office here, and wondering what the outcome will be, the better I feel.

An Elite Visa Card is good for 5 years, although I think you can get one longer. I am not sure if you have to renew this yearly, but if you do it must be quite painless as I have never read anyone here complain about it, or being rejected the 2nd year. You will still need to report every 90 days, but if you are still working out of the country every other month, you will not have to. There is no financial obligation of having money in the bank with this Visa and you can keep your Visa should your marriage go South.

At any rate it will still be several months before you can possibly apply for a Marriage Visa, which doesn't help your cause now. Perhaps it would be wise to make a side trip before coming here next time, and get a Multi-entry Thai Visa in Cambodia or Laos first. Perhaps have the G.F. meet you their and make a short vacation out of the trip. Both are interesting new places, if you have never been their before.

My very personal problem is that my girlfriend and I are planing to get married next year and so, paying 500k Thb for an Elite Visa when I will be entitled next year to an O-A visa.... I don't know if it is being a Cheap Charlie.....but it is is still big money for me.

I think I will have to pop up that ring faster than expected....

With a Marriage Visa, you will still need 400K Baht in the Bank in your name only, for 2 months (or is it 3 months now). There is also a fare amount of documentation you will need to submit along with your application, including photos of you and your wife together in a home setting, and are subject to a visit from the Immigration Office, although I think this is quite rare. But being Newly Weds, this may happen to you. You also need to apply every year,

Some posters here have stated that applying every year for there Marriage Visa is only mildly unpleasant, where others have stated it is a complete pain in the..... Some have stated that they were hassled when making this application, and sent back home for more paperwork several times, where others have stated it has gone quite smoothly. Personally for me, the less time I have to spend in a Que in an Immigration Office here, and wondering what the outcome will be, the better I feel.

An Elite Visa Card is good for 5 years, although I think you can get one longer. I am not sure if you have to renew this yearly, but if you do it must be quite painless as I have never read anyone here complain about it, or being rejected the 2nd year. You will still need to report every 90 days, but if you are still working out of the country every other month, you will not have to. There is no financial obligation of having money in the bank with this Visa and you can keep your Visa should your marriage go South.

At any rate it will still be several months before you can possibly apply for a Marriage Visa, which doesn't help your cause now. Perhaps it would be wise to make a side trip before coming here next time, and get a Multi-entry Thai Visa in Cambodia or Laos first. Perhaps have the G.F. meet you their and make a short vacation out of the trip. Both are interesting new places, if you have never been their before.

If the OP is getting married there is no reason to pay out 500k baht on an Elite visa. Elite visas are an expensive luxury good for people with no ties to the country, and/or that don't need to be concerned at the cost. A great convenience if affordable.

You are describing the process for a 1 year extension based on marriage. Getting a non-immigration 'O' visa based on marriage is a piece of cake with very little documentation, and no financial proof required. He can apply for back-to-back visas forever if he wants.

If he doesn't want to extend the non-'O' he doesn't have to, but with the right paperwork the application process is easy, painless and the outcome guaranteed. Those experiencing problems don't have the right paperwork. Home visits are announced, a formality and nothing to worry about. You have to tie up 400k for 2 months, but I'd say thats better than spending 500k.

Until he gets married he just needs to get Tourist visas, and a re-entry permits. He should be good for 1-2 years on those alone.

• Like 2