One dead, one missing as ferry burns and sinks near Phuket

Lite Beer

One dead, one missing as ferry burns and sinks near Phuket
Eakkapop Thongtub

1428493541_1-org.jpg

Fire rages from stem to stern of the Ao Nang Princess 5. Photos by Krabi Rescue Centre

KRABI: A fire broke out on the ferry Ao Nang Princess 5 this afternoon (April 8), about two kilometres from Nopparatthara Beach in Ao Nang.

Almost all the 107 passengers are reported to have been rescued by nearby boats and the Marine police. There were two exceptions – one person dead and a 12-year-old girl who is missing.

Divers are now looking to see if they can find the girl.

The fire broke out at 3:30 pm in the ferry, which belongs to Ao Nang Travel Tour Co.

Carrying 117 passengers – 107 adults and 10 children – the ferry reportedly left Koh Phi Phi and was heading for Nopparatthara Beach near Ao Nang when the fire broke out near Koh Met.

Krabi Marine Police, Krabi Marine Office, Nopparathara Park officers and 10 fishing and speed boats rushed to the scene and rescued passengers, taking them to Ao Nang, where rescue workers were waiting to ferry anyone injured to hospital.

In the event, none of those who were brought ashore were injured.

The skipper of the ferry, Capt Wirat, said there was an explosion in the engine room, after which he told passengers to put on life jackets. Other boats were on the scene fast, he said, and passengers were able to step from the burning ferry onto the other boats.

The fire burned the ferry to the waterline, after which it sank.

Officials are still checking the passenger lists to identify the missing girl and the dead person.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/one-dead-one-missing-as-ferry-burns-and-sinks-near-phuket-51793.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-08

Krabi:- A shuttle boat between Krabi and Phuket caught fire Wednesday afternoon and sank. Officials and fishing boats managed to rescue 103 tourists but one Thai girl was believed to go missing.
The accident happened to Ao Nang Princess 5 Boat of Ao Nang Travel and Tour Co Ltd at about 3:30 pm near Koh Med, which is about 8 kilometers away from the Nopparat Thara Beach.
The boat was taking the tourists form the Nopparat Thara beach to Phuket. The fire broke out not long after it left the beach.
After alerted of the fire, Krabi marine police, the Krabi Harbor Office, and the Hat Nopparat Thara Park dispatched speed boats to rescue the tourists. About 10 small fishing boats of local people, which were nearby, also rushed to help pluck the tourists out of water.
The fire engulfed the entire boat that sank. Black smoke from the boat could be seen very far as it was a sunny day in Krabi.
The blaze prompted the captain to announce to tourists to put on lifejacket and jump overboard to wait for rescue.
A total of 94 adults and 9 children were rescued and sent back to Nopparat Thara beach.
Officials said no one was injured. But they found that a 12-year-old Thai girl might be missing.
Officials were still checking information about the girl and were trying to establish the cause of the fire.
Boonchao Tangsiriphaisal, director of the Krabi Harbor Office, said it was believed that the fire started from the engine room and quickly engulfed the two-deck boat.
Harbor officials checked the spot and did find any trace of oil after the boat sunk.

thaivisa-news.png.pagespeed.ce.ASDmYCLRp

I got a tour of the Ao Nang Princess engine room some years back when she was out for maintenance. Not sure about that number 5 designation though. The one I saw was very impressive for a Thai vessel with big V-10 (?) Volvos. Everything was spotlessly clean and meticulously installed. Her cruise speed was 20 knots or more. This is a real tragedy, and if the same boat a surprise.

attachicon.gifseatran.jpg This was a tourist ferry leaving from Koh Tao a few days ago . I thought it was on fire ! until I saw it do the same thing the next day . the engine is clearly in a bad condition for it to create this much smoke !! how long before it blows up and sinks just like the Krabi boat ? I decided not to use this ferry company when I left the island !

the owner of the boat should be locked up ,this company must earn good money and dont put it back in to the company,rather cut corners to save money ,maybe for lao cow rip to the deceased such a shame yet again

attachicon.gifseatran.jpg This was a tourist ferry leaving from Koh Tao a few days ago . I thought it was on fire ! until I saw it do the same thing the next day . the engine is clearly in a bad condition for it to create this much smoke !! how long before it blows up and sinks just like the Krabi boat ? I decided not to use this ferry company when I left the island !

Dear ConfusedFarang9, please could you forward your photograph to the marine authorities, there is not much point telling us. If you have already done so, please feel free to tell me to mind my own business. Thankyou.

RIP to the 12 year old girl and condolences to her family and friends, just seems to be anything related to transport in Thailand is a disaster usually caused from the lack of maintenance and safety checks and procedures, what is it about Thais that think if it starts and runs its fine to take risks with lives and save money at every corner they can cut planes and now boats are they ever going to learn the word safety first with members of the public even if they are properly insured that wont help the little girls family not everyone is so much in love with Bahts and most given the choice would rather have their children or loved ones still with them rather than have some financial recompense.

Capt Wirat, said there was an explosion in the engine room, after which he told passengers to put on life jackets!!! Hmmm shouldn't this now be done before departure? Maybe we would not have a missing child if this turns out to be the case!!!! Better run captain birds eye.

I wouldn't get on that either

my congrads to the captain and all the boats and their owners and or captains that did not think about money, but just about rescueing people in need... good on you all...

yes thailand should probably invest in some transportation inspection services.. so then the TVF whiners can conplain about price increases... if they can not figure out that safety equals $$$,, which i am sure they can not after reading this forum for many yrs

my 2 cents, and that is all it is worth

• Like 1

Capt Wirat, said there was an explosion in the engine room, after which he told passengers to put on life jackets!!! Hmmm shouldn't this now be done before departure? Maybe we would not have a missing child if this turns out to be the case!!!! Better run captain birds eye.

I don't think a lifejacket would have helped in the toilett room there she was.

• Like 1

the owner of the boat should be locked up ,this company must earn good money and dont put it back in to the company,rather cut corners to save money ,maybe for lao cow rip to the deceased such a shame yet again

u sure it was owners fault ?

• Like 1

The child was locked in the toilets .... wearing a life jacket unfortunately would not have saved her

I've travelled a few times on these big Phi Phi ferries. Never ever felt comfortable about their safety, captain, maintenance. Stopped going to Phi Phi because of that, well that's one reason.

What a tradgedy that the young girl was in the toilet - such a waste of a yung life.

just had a look at thier website

doesnt appear to be TAT liscenced [or not advertised]

ive heard that without any complaints to the TAT that nothing is being done to make companies comply

nor is there any insurance valid without TAT registration

would have thought a big operator like this would advertise thier TAT membership

also dont understand why they say 12 year old thai girl

foreign news reporting israeli girl , and if reporters dont know , then why not write simply 12 year old girl ????

The daily dose of what?

Suggestions welcomed here:

Exactly. Maybe I should stop reading ThaiVisa because between all the stupid jokes and bad taste this country scares the crap out of me right now. Too much death and negligence. I have children here and don't feel like I can protect them from the stupidity out there. Yeah yeah, I know "Don't like it, go home!" Right?