One dead, one missing as ferry burns and sinks near Phuket

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Krabi:- A shuttle boat between Krabi and Phuket caught fire Wednesday afternoon and sank. Officials and fishing boats managed to rescue 103 tourists but one Thai girl was believed to go missing.
The accident happened to Ao Nang Princess 5 Boat of Ao Nang Travel and Tour Co Ltd at about 3:30 pm near Koh Med, which is about 8 kilometers away from the Nopparat Thara Beach.
The boat was taking the tourists form the Nopparat Thara beach to Phuket. The fire broke out not long after it left the beach.
After alerted of the fire, Krabi marine police, the Krabi Harbor Office, and the Hat Nopparat Thara Park dispatched speed boats to rescue the tourists. About 10 small fishing boats of local people, which were nearby, also rushed to help pluck the tourists out of water.
The fire engulfed the entire boat that sank. Black smoke from the boat could be seen very far as it was a sunny day in Krabi.
The blaze prompted the captain to announce to tourists to put on lifejacket and jump overboard to wait for rescue.
A total of 94 adults and 9 children were rescued and sent back to Nopparat Thara beach.
Officials said no one was injured. But they found that a 12-year-old Thai girl might be missing.
Officials were still checking information about the girl and were trying to establish the cause of the fire.
Boonchao Tangsiriphaisal, director of the Krabi Harbor Office, said it was believed that the fire started from the engine room and quickly engulfed the two-deck boat.
Harbor officials checked the spot and did find any trace of oil after the boat sunk.

Unfortunately there is no Law in Phuket for TAXI,TUK TUK, FERRIES, SPEEDBOATS AND JETSKI'S AS WELL AS BOATS PULLING PARACHUTES.
The only action ever taken is after somebody dies and even this is forgotten faster then it is introduced.
Prevention is non existing in Phuket.

Yes, of course the South Koreans have never had problems with their boats. Unless you count the captain who abandoned ship leaving hundreds of school children to die last year. Costa Concordia....oh so sorry didnt see the sandbank. Townsend Thoresen....oh awfully sorry old chap didn't realise we had to close the doors. Those whinging about Thai marine accidents should look closer at home methinks.

Yes correct, we cannot say this never happens in other countries, as the examples you mention highlight.

Although the time between the incidents is substantial, one being nearly 30 years ago....

When was the last ferry death in Thailand.......18 months?

• Like 1

Condolences to family and friends and a wish for all the Thai/3rd world tour operators to go bust and or otherwise be removed from business ASAP!

Why not wish the whole of the 3rd world itself to go bust?

All the other worlds will then be comfortable, isn't it?

just had a look at thier website

doesnt appear to be TAT liscenced [or not advertised]

ive heard that without any complaints to the TAT that nothing is being done to make companies comply

nor is there any insurance valid without TAT registration

would have thought a big operator like this would advertise thier TAT membership

also dont understand why they say 12 year old thai girl

foreign news reporting israeli girl , and if reporters dont know , then why not write simply 12 year old girl ????

And why does Thaivisa keep reporting that the incident was in Phuket in their headline but actually acknowledge that it was on approach to Ao Nang?

Last year I took a similar boat also called the Ao Nang Princess from Phuket to Krabi. I will have to check my photos when I get home to see exactly which boat I was on. I am an ex lifeguard and I couldn't wait to put a life vest on. That particular ferry is pretty open and easy to jump off of. Crazy that the 12 year old is missing. Was she traveling alone? Parents?

While I agree that a lot of transport here is sub-standard, it makes me sick that so many TV experts will use tragedies as an excuse to bash Thailand, Thais, Thai culture etc.

Many years ago I was working on a tuna vessel in West Oz, it had just passed survey (a yearly requirement back then) The engine room and indeed the whole vessel looked to be ship-shape (bad pun intended)

We were 400 nautical miles south of Albany in the southern ocean when the skipper came and woke me to say there was a "bit of a leak" in a raw sea-water intake pipe. I went down saw the leak and tried to plug it with a wooden plug. When I tapped it into the hole, it went straight through and turned the "bit of a leak" into a gushing hole! The pipe was so badly corroded it was like paper.

Long story short, turned around, jerry-rigged the deck was pumps and every pump we could to help the bilge pumps keep up. We got back to Albany with only 18 inches of free board left and our rectums twitching!

Moral is that you cannot possibly see inside every component of an engine, vehicle, vessel, aircraft.

Engines vibrate and can cause fuel and other lines to stress fracture. A fuel or oil line rupture or similar spraying onto hot exhaust can happen in the blink of an eye and cause an explosion and fire.

So instead of bemoaning and criticizing Thailand for this, be sure you can guarantee the 100% AS NEW condition of EVERY vessel, train, plain, truck, bicycle and home appliance in your home countries where obviously you have daily inspections and x-ray fracture testing before you leave home.

• Like 1

Anybody ever tried to import a decent marine automatic fire extinguisher to Thailand? (almost) mission impossible, this while they are no Thai alternatives. Another day, another boating acccident.

It is inconceivable to me that there is no fire suppression requirement in the engine room. Even a couple of pumps that would flood the room with sea water would be better than nothing.

• Like 1

Anybody ever tried to import a decent marine automatic fire extinguisher to Thailand? (almost) mission impossible, this while they are no Thai alternatives. Another day, another boating acccident.

You will find these on quite a few of the liveaboard diveboats.

just had a look at thier website

doesnt appear to be TAT liscenced [or not advertised]

ive heard that without any complaints to the TAT that nothing is being done to make companies comply

nor is there any insurance valid without TAT registration

would have thought a big operator like this would advertise thier TAT membership

also dont understand why they say 12 year old thai girl

foreign news reporting israeli girl , and if reporters dont know , then why not write simply 12 year old girl ????

And why does Thaivisa keep reporting that the incident was in Phuket in their headline but actually acknowledge that it was on approach to Ao Nang?
Because Phuket sells better.

Search for missing Israeli girl continues off Krabi coast amid strong waves

9-4-2558-11-32-40-wpcf_728x408.jpg

KRABI: -- Scuba divers from the Navy's Third Fleet, Krabi marine police and local tourist assistance centre began searching for the body of the 12- year-old Israeli girl who was said to be trapped in the toilet of the burning tourist boat before it sank off Ao Nang bay yesterday.

About 20 divers took part in the search at the scene where the Ao Nang Princess 5 tourist boat caught fire and sank into the bottom of the Andaman Sea.

The scene is two kilometres south of Phi Phi island and eight kilometres off Pier A of Nopparat Tara beach on Ao Nang bay.

The scene is 20 metres deep.

Krabi deputy governor Narong Vunsiew who was directing the search today said the team met with some difficulties because of strong waves.

He said the girl, identified later as Shani Maril, went to the boat toilet and get lost from her parents when the fire broke out about 3.30 p.m. Wednesday.

The Israeli family flew to Thailand for the Passover vacation to celebrate the girl’s bat mitzvah.

Up to 117 people were on board the Ao Nang Princess 5, travelling from Krabi to the island of Phuket.

She was apparently locked in the toilet and was unable to escape while the evacuation of the boat was taking place.

Most of the rescued passengers and crew, totaling about 110 — including the girl’s parents and brother — were taken to Krabi, several kilometers from where the fire occurred.

Police are questioning the boat driver and passengers to find out the exact cause of the fire.

Initially police suspected electrical shirt circuit as the cause.

The driver was detained for questioning first on recklessness charge.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/search-for-missing-israeli-girl-continues-off-krabi-coast-amid-strong-waves

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-09

Israeli girl missing after Thai ferry fire
AFP

KRABI: -- Thai divers on Thursday resumed the search for a 12-year-old Israeli girl missing after a blaze destroyed a ferry packed with tourists in southern Thailand, police said.

More than 100 foreign tourists were plucked from the sea in a dramatic rescue on Wednesday afternoon after a sudden blaze consumed a ferry travelling between Krabi and Phuket island in the Andaman sea.

Initially Krabi police said everyone on board was safe and accounted for, but the Israeli girl was later listed as missing.

"We haven't found her yet... the search was called off yesterday evening during strong currents and darkness but it resumed today," Lieutenant General Decha Butnampetch, southern region police commander told AFP.

Local media reports said the girl was travelling with her family, who were waiting in Krabi for news.

Among the passengers pulled from the sea were nationals from Britain, Switzerland, the United States and China.

Accidents involving boats, buses and other forms of public transport are common in Thailand, where safety standards are generally poor.

Overcrowded tourist ferries and other boats are notorious for capsizing, catching fire or hitting rocks, especially during peak tourist season when vessels are pushed to their limit to cash in on huge visitor numbers.

In November 2013 three tourists were among six dead when an overcrowded ferry suddenly sank off the coast of the popular resort of Pattaya.

Thailand is desperate to burnish its reputation as a tourist haven after 11 months which have seen a military coup, martial law, and scandals including the brutal murder of two British backpackers last year.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-04-09

Body of Israeli girl found in sunk boat

KRABI: -- Scuba divers Thursday found and retrieved the body of 12-year-old Israeli girl in the Ao Nang Princess Boat that caught fire and sank about 5 kilometers away from the Nopparat Thara beach.

The body of Shani Maril was found in the boat at 10:59 am. The boat sank Wednesday and all other passengers were rescued.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Body-of-Israeli-girl-found-in-sunk-boat-30257724.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-09

While I agree that a lot of transport here is sub-standard, it makes me sick that so many TV experts will use tragedies as an excuse to bash Thailand, Thais, Thai culture etc.

Many years ago I was working on a tuna vessel in West Oz, it had just passed survey (a yearly requirement back then) The engine room and indeed the whole vessel looked to be ship-shape (bad pun intended)

We were 400 nautical miles south of Albany in the southern ocean when the skipper came and woke me to say there was a "bit of a leak" in a raw sea-water intake pipe. I went down saw the leak and tried to plug it with a wooden plug. When I tapped it into the hole, it went straight through and turned the "bit of a leak" into a gushing hole! The pipe was so badly corroded it was like paper.

Long story short, turned around, jerry-rigged the deck was pumps and every pump we could to help the bilge pumps keep up. We got back to Albany with only 18 inches of free board left and our rectums twitching!

Moral is that you cannot possibly see inside every component of an engine, vehicle, vessel, aircraft.

Engines vibrate and can cause fuel and other lines to stress fracture. A fuel or oil line rupture or similar spraying onto hot exhaust can happen in the blink of an eye and cause an explosion and fire.

So instead of bemoaning and criticizing Thailand for this, be sure you can guarantee the 100% AS NEW condition of EVERY vessel, train, plain, truck, bicycle and home appliance in your home countries where obviously you have daily inspections and x-ray fracture testing before you leave home.

The issue isn't so much what caused the fire but more the safety procedures in place and how they are followed. The captain instructed passengers to put on lifejackets that they should have already been wearing and then abandoned ship without checking if there was anyone left on board and a young girl lost her life.

Yes, of course the South Koreans have never had problems with their boats. Unless you count the captain who abandoned ship leaving hundreds of school children to die last year. Costa Concordia....oh so sorry didnt see the sandbank. Townsend Thoresen....oh awfully sorry old chap didn't realise we had to close the doors. Those whinging about Thai marine accidents should look closer at home methinks.

Not to mention the number of ferry disasters in the Philippines, Indonesia, Bangladesh, (especially that country) India and Egypt, (I've dived of a sunken ferry there) And there are plenty of others. When we put to sea, we are at risk.

And no, equalizer, it is not normal practice to don life jackets on this type of vessel unless and until an emergency occurs. Praise is due to the crew, the rescue services, both professional and willing amateurs for what was, overall a successful outcome.

• Like 2

There is NO safe transportation in all of Thailand, including WALKING!

Only a Cyclops, ( eye in middle of forehead) can maneuver without fear. There are several forms of transport but no one to monitor regular inspections and set up minimum requirements for transporters. Most traffic lights don't work which probably SAVES lives as some pedestrians actually step out in traffic believing they will actually stop on red. Their are no real traffic cops and the well marked

white pedestrian crosswalks are, to Thais, just artwork !

attachicon.gifseatran.jpg This was a tourist ferry leaving from Koh Tao a few days ago . I thought it was on fire ! until I saw it do the same thing the next day . the engine is clearly in a bad condition for it to create this much smoke !! how long before it blows up and sinks just like the Krabi boat ? I decided not to use this ferry company when I left the island !

Another reason (as if there aren't enough already!) not to visit Koh Tao!

Not to mention the number of ferry disasters in the Philippines, Indonesia, Bangladesh, (especially that country) India and Egypt, (I've dived of a sunken ferry there) And there are plenty of others. When we put to sea, we are at risk.

And no, equalizer, it is not normal practice to don life jackets on this type of vessel unless and until an emergency occurs. Praise is due to the crew, the rescue services, both professional and willing amateurs for what was, overall a successful outcome.

Well said! And can you imagine the chaos when the ferry reaches its destination, and everybody is trying to hand their life jackets in? It's pretty much a "free for all" already with everyone trying to be among the first off.

It's more a case of what lessons were learned (or ignored) post incident. Marine safety, like rail or air safety should always learn from these catastrophes. Unfortunately we humans occasionally hit the self destruct button and that aint gonna change anytime soon.