One dead, one missing as ferry burns and sinks near Phuket

While I agree that a lot of transport here is sub-standard, it makes me sick that so many TV experts will use tragedies as an excuse to bash Thailand, Thais, Thai culture etc.

Many years ago I was working on a tuna vessel in West Oz, it had just passed survey (a yearly requirement back then) The engine room and indeed the whole vessel looked to be ship-shape (bad pun intended)

We were 400 nautical miles south of Albany in the southern ocean when the skipper came and woke me to say there was a "bit of a leak" in a raw sea-water intake pipe. I went down saw the leak and tried to plug it with a wooden plug. When I tapped it into the hole, it went straight through and turned the "bit of a leak" into a gushing hole! The pipe was so badly corroded it was like paper.

Long story short, turned around, jerry-rigged the deck was pumps and every pump we could to help the bilge pumps keep up. We got back to Albany with only 18 inches of free board left and our rectums twitching!

Moral is that you cannot possibly see inside every component of an engine, vehicle, vessel, aircraft.

Engines vibrate and can cause fuel and other lines to stress fracture. A fuel or oil line rupture or similar spraying onto hot exhaust can happen in the blink of an eye and cause an explosion and fire.

So instead of bemoaning and criticizing Thailand for this, be sure you can guarantee the 100% AS NEW condition of EVERY vessel, train, plain, truck, bicycle and home appliance in your home countries where obviously you have daily inspections and x-ray fracture testing before you leave home.

The issue isn't so much what caused the fire but more the safety procedures in place and how they are followed. The captain instructed passengers to put on lifejackets that they should have already been wearing and then abandoned ship without checking if there was anyone left on board and a young girl lost her life.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pointless whinging by miserable old farts

RIP to the victim. Hope the girl will be found alive... Hoping for tougher safety regulations on Thai-owned boats will be a pipe dream... My guess - Thai officials will answer this with yet another s

This was a tourist ferry leaving from Koh Tao a few days ago . I thought it was on fire ! until I saw it do the same thing the next day . the engine is clearly in a bad condition for it to create this

Posted Images

Yes, of course the South Koreans have never had problems with their boats. Unless you count the captain who abandoned ship leaving hundreds of school children to die last year. Costa Concordia....oh so sorry didnt see the sandbank. Townsend Thoresen....oh awfully sorry old chap didn't realise we had to close the doors. Those whinging about Thai marine accidents should look closer at home methinks.

Not to mention the number of ferry disasters in the Philippines, Indonesia, Bangladesh, (especially that country) India and Egypt, (I've dived of a sunken ferry there) And there are plenty of others. When we put to sea, we are at risk.

And no, equalizer, it is not normal practice to don life jackets on this type of vessel unless and until an emergency occurs. Praise is due to the crew, the rescue services, both professional and willing amateurs for what was, overall a successful outcome.

• Like 2

There is NO safe transportation in all of Thailand, including WALKING!

Only a Cyclops, ( eye in middle of forehead) can maneuver without fear. There are several forms of transport but no one to monitor regular inspections and set up minimum requirements for transporters. Most traffic lights don't work which probably SAVES lives as some pedestrians actually step out in traffic believing they will actually stop on red. Their are no real traffic cops and the well marked

white pedestrian crosswalks are, to Thais, just artwork !

attachicon.gifseatran.jpg This was a tourist ferry leaving from Koh Tao a few days ago . I thought it was on fire ! until I saw it do the same thing the next day . the engine is clearly in a bad condition for it to create this much smoke !! how long before it blows up and sinks just like the Krabi boat ? I decided not to use this ferry company when I left the island !

Another reason (as if there aren't enough already!) not to visit Koh Tao!

Yes, of course the South Koreans have never had problems with their boats. Unless you count the captain who abandoned ship leaving hundreds of school children to die last year. Costa Concordia....oh so sorry didnt see the sandbank. Townsend Thoresen....oh awfully sorry old chap didn't realise we had to close the doors. Those whinging about Thai marine accidents should look closer at home methinks.

Not to mention the number of ferry disasters in the Philippines, Indonesia, Bangladesh, (especially that country) India and Egypt, (I've dived of a sunken ferry there) And there are plenty of others. When we put to sea, we are at risk.

And no, equalizer, it is not normal practice to don life jackets on this type of vessel unless and until an emergency occurs. Praise is due to the crew, the rescue services, both professional and willing amateurs for what was, overall a successful outcome.

Well said! And can you imagine the chaos when the ferry reaches its destination, and everybody is trying to hand their life jackets in? It's pretty much a "free for all" already with everyone trying to be among the first off.

It's more a case of what lessons were learned (or ignored) post incident. Marine safety, like rail or air safety should always learn from these catastrophes. Unfortunately we humans occasionally hit the self destruct button and that aint gonna change anytime soon.