Online games

lormis789

• 2 months later...
On 9/2/2017 at 8:55 PM, ncc1701d said:

I've gone off the idea of STEAM, I'm told that you can't save multiple levels of the same game as you go. (So if my kid and I are playing the same game, we can't play at our own rates and save as we go and has to be under each account and therefore buy the game twice). So it just means buying the originals in store on disc. 

This is not true.  Games on Steam can be shared between accounts as long as the person who wants play is using a computer authorized by the person who owns the game.

Its in the settings, Family Sharing.  

steam.jpg.1bbb757cee75532bf6cf10a0af385aae.jpg

4 hours ago, james512 said:

This is not true.  Games on Steam can be shared between accounts as long as the person who wants play is using a computer authorized by the person who owns the game.

Its in the settings, Family Sharing.  

steam.jpg.1bbb757cee75532bf6cf10a0af385aae.jpg

Thanks. It won’t be for family sharing, but many people without their own accounts.

• 1 year later...

There is a game on Steam I want to buy so I created a Steam account, so far so good. This was done in Thailand. I am an UK expat living in Pattaya.

Steam will not allow me to pay using my UK bank account as that is not the country I created the account in. It will also not allow me to change my 'home' country to UK as I need to be back in the UK in order to change it to UK.  I tried using a VPN but it still would not allow the change (NordVPN).

I noticed it also accepted PayPal, so I logged into my PayPal account but there were insufficient funds. PayPal will not allow me to send or receive funds until my phone number is up to date so they can send verification texts. The phone number in PaypPal is an old UK number. I cannot change the phone number as it only offers UK prefix +44, so I cannot top up PayPal using texts onto my Thai phone.

All this geo-blocking and phone text requirements are a nuisance.

I have Thai phone, no UK phone. Thai bank account (Bangkok Bank) and UK bank accounts.

How can I pay for a Steam game?

might be a bit late but if you have a Bangkok bank card which is also visa debit then you can use that. probably can't if it's one of those UnionPay cards tho (works perfectly well with my Kasikorn visa debit card)

the reason why it doesn't let you pay with UK account is that the Thai market has a hefty discount (sometimes up to 45%) compared to western countries.

also, playing around with a VPN might get your account flagged and banned, usually enforced only when people try to VPN their way to get the cheap ASEAN or Russian prices tho but YMMV

you can buy games outside of Steam for steam as well, Humble Bundle store, Green man gaming etc. there are also some grey area websites selling their extra Steam keys

I have over 400 extra games as duplicates myself so I know how that happens

Edited by kekalot