Car Bomb in Samui

dom samui

I've wondered how long it will take the southern insurgents to take their fight up north. If this does turn out to be associated with them--and we don't know for sure yet--it doesn't bode well for the future. A village in Isaan is looking pretty good at this point. Here's hoping the injuries are not too serious and that the injured recover quickly.

• Like 1

Further, tourists do not seem to be the target. There are no tourists at Central's parking basement that late, as also evidenced by the fact that the injured were all Thai as far as I understand.

Central shopping mall itself could however be the target, as it represents the socalled rich and powerful Bangkok elite. It was also a Central mall that got burned down in Bangkok in 2010, although that had probably more to do with the fact that it was located right next to the demonstration.

Edited by monkeycountry

This could well be disastrous for the tourist industry, if this gets plenty of coverage from the international press then people will stay away.

Thailand has plenty to pull in visitors but as soon as its perceived to be unsafe its game over. I'm surprised it's tucked away in the local forum, this is huge news.

I wonder if now the powers that be will take a good look at security at the car ferries. While I guess it is possible to create a bomb simply from material found on Samui it is likely this one was transported from somewhere else and brought to the island. As most cars and trucks coming to Samui are lined up and waiting for some time to board it would be possible to carry out quite a good inspection of each vehicle. And it would not take too much man power to do this. I assume Central Samui will now implement a more complete check of vehicles like they do in most other Central stores. Thought it a bit odd that elsewhere they tend to open and check the car boot/trunk and use a mirror for checking under the cars, but on Samui you simply fly by the security guy grabbing your ticket.

• Like 1

CCTV from both the ferry, Central and elsehwere on Samui might show who got in and out of that car. If lucky and the recording is good quality, it might also tell if it is red shirts or southern muslim insurgents, as people from the south and from the north and Isaan often don't look alike.

It could of course also be that the bomber(s) can be identified directly from CCTV, especially if pictures are posted in the news.

• Like 1

I've wondered how long it will take the southern insurgents to take their fight up north. If this does turn out to be associated with them--and we don't know for sure yet--it doesn't bode well for the future. A village in Isaan is looking pretty good at this point. Here's hoping the injuries are not too serious and that the injured recover quickly.

I agree,if this was indeed the work of insurgents in the south,it is a worrying development,so far they have mostly confined their activity,to the 3 southern provinces,maybe they have decided to take the campaign nationwide,like the IRA did in the Uk,if that is the case,tragic times are ahead.

• Like 1

Interesting times are upon us. There are dozens upon dozens of soft targets all over the place. I would be very concerned about the ferry system to and from the islands. Any of the night life scenes you could drive a car right into. Full moon parties, Songkran gatherers, walking street.......I hope to all things holy, Thailand does not have a Bali incident that killed so many people.

Considering that there was another 2 explosions leading to a large fire in the same area, at almost the same time, it would lead people to believe that the Southern insurgents may be expanding their area of operation. After many years with no results, in the 3 Southernmost provinces, it would not be surprising to see an expansion Northward, and may even spread as far as the nation's capital.

Another sad day in the mixed up world, next isis will be blowing things up in Thailand, the world -- sorry politicians and arms manufacturers, oil and mineral corporates creating havoc globally on a now massive scale every day, is there nowhere safe anymore?

As of yet, we don't who who is responsible, but there are some here speculating that this could be southern insurgents, which brings me back to a post I made some time ago that stated I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they decided to take their show on the road. They could wreak havoc is places like Pattaya, Phuket, and yes, even Bangkok, and if that starts, there goes your tourist industry quick, fast, and in a hurry.

• Like 1

Samui and Surathani are in the South of Thailand not the North.

i heared the sound its was sharply at 10:30 Pm. I plan to Central but stomach ache stopped me

no disrespect to those injured intended,i would not have liked to have been there at the time the bomb went off.

That's your opinion I think it is a big improvement if you don't like it then don't use it or better still move on (DELETED)

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

As of yet, we don't who who is responsible, but there are some here speculating that this could be southern insurgents, which brings me back to a post I made some time ago that stated I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they decided to take their show on the road. They could wreak havoc is places like Pattaya, Phuket, and yes, even Bangkok, and if that starts, there goes your tourist industry quick, fast, and in a hurry.

I have said for years if they were to get serious about doing some damage to tourism, a few bombs in Pattaya, Phuket and Nana plaza would do the trick.

I'm surprised it hasnt happened yet or is this the start?coffee1.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nothing to do with Muslims schools etc !!!!!
Politics !!!!

And you know how?

The pickup used for the bomb was from Yala, Samui just 3 hours drive away and packed with infidels is too much of a temptation to whack a Westerner !

But an underground car park?

Surely the Ferry more a concern.

I thought about this and i would like to know was the bomb made in samui and put on a stolen truck or was it driven here with the bomb on it across the ferry and then dumped at central.

If they had driven it here then they picked the wrong target, they should have picked the boat half way across . But knowing these type of scumbags they would want to save themselves!!

Real tough guys!! NOT!

i heared the sound its was sharply at 10:30 Pm. I plan to Central but stomach ache stopped me

So your stomach ache turned out to be a "blessing in disguise" (lucky for you that you had a stomach ache).

This could well be disastrous for the tourist industry, if this gets plenty of coverage from the international press then people will stay away.

Thailand has plenty to pull in visitors but as soon as its perceived to be unsafe its game over. I'm surprised it's tucked away in the local forum, this is huge news.

Huge news Scully, yes a bomb attack in a public place is big news. However I was in Australia for most of the big problems in Bangkok including 2010 crackdown, I remained blissfully ignorant to it all. I'm not suggesting it went unreported, Thailand's troubles don't rate as high as troubles in the ME.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I hope they find the scum responsible for this.

But I think Samui and Surat Thani are strange targets?

Neither are in an area where Malays are in the majority.

They want to hit Tourist spots with as few Muslims as possible.

Why bomb back home? This is not ISIS or Iraq or Palestine.

The pickup used for the bomb was from Yala, Samui just 3 hours drive away and packed with infidels is too much of a temptation to whack a Westerner !

But an underground car park?

Surely the Ferry more a concern.

I thought about this and i would like to know was the bomb made in samui and put on a stolen truck or was it driven here with the bomb on it across the ferry and then dumped at central.

If they had driven it here then they picked the wrong target, they should have picked the boat half way across . But knowing these type of scumbags they would want to save themselves!!

Real tough guys!! NOT!

Some use car bombs, some use drones. Same garbage, different technology.

I'm sorry for those who get injured. Luckily, there were no fatalities and apparently limited damage.

Edited by zakk9
language
  • Like 1

General Prayout as a very delicate job to do and is doing his best to govern a country where it was left to corruption and dealing with a no law state.

Now no one know if it was a political motivation or else, I am sure they will get to the bottom of this.

Good luck to the Junta.

• Like 1

Not that I know anything about this. But the bomb exploded on the 5 year anniversary of the army crackdown on the red shirts in bangkok (10/04/2010), and the red shirts have recently been denied holding a rally on 10/04/2015 to mourn the dead.

Correct and yesterday messages have been intercepted on social media at 10pm from Surrathani regarding joining together from Red Shirt supporters and against sec 44.

So some members do some research before dismissing some peoples statements.

• Like 1