Car Bomb in Samui

dom samui

Troll / Flaming post removed

Post Edited for font - please use Arial 14

Forum Netiquette
1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be
difficult to read

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I hope they find the scum responsible for this.

But I think Samui and Surat Thani are strange targets?

Neither are in an area where Malays are in the majority.

They want to hit Tourist spots with as few Muslims as possible.

Why bomb back home? This is not ISIS or Iraq or Palestine.

Wrong, IS are expanding into SE Asia lots of radical elements within the region are prime targets for recruiting into their caliphate. Dismis this as IS at your peril, it was only a matter of time before it starts to happen, European targets will be soon hit too.

Too soon to say who was behind this, unless someone issues a statement to say they did it.

Sounds like stuff is creeping north. bad stuff.

Might give public places a second thought for a few days, anyways, until we get more intel.

I would like to see a public figure come out and guarantee that these will be the last two,

but my opinion is that these are the first two....and right before the start of the holiday.

scheduled.

Pumpin area of Surathani. It's all over the TV at the moment.

What - 2 bombs - one in Surat and one on Samui?

This is really crazy - all that stuff in the south has forever been about Muslims asking for the right to follow their religion in schools where not even one teacher was Buddhist.

Dozens of schools where there were all Muslim staff and children but they had to have Buddhist rites because this was Thailand.

How does that translate to car bombs on Samui and in Surat Thani?

R

Careful not to do the usual TV ... jump to conclusions ... bit early for paranoia, prejudice etc

Not that I know anything about this. But the bomb exploded on the 5 year anniversary of the army crackdown on the red shirts in bangkok (10/04/2010), and the red shirts have recently been denied holding a rally on 10/04/2015 to mourn the dead.

Correct and yesterday messages have been intercepted on social media at 10pm from Surrathani regarding joining together from Red Shirt supporters and against sec 44.

So some members do some research before dismissing some peoples statements.

Wife just told me that the Co-op that was targeted in Suratthani was owned by Suthep so I can see the link there...but why Central?

This could be connected to the killing of 4 innocent men in Pattani by security forces. Someone is sending a message ....

Agree, it's a possability. Some months back a car bomb, did not explode, was left near to a police station on Phuket. If I remember correctly, at the time it was considered by observers as a warning to the security forces for some killings by them in the deep South.

To date the insurgent movement has not targeted Westeners in Thailand. If the insurgency is linked to this attack, you would assume the leadership would be well aware the inevitable push back will cause them immense grief.

My friend from hong kong contacted me to ask what happened as the car bomb made news in hong kong this morning, also on channel news asia on live tv there had a short 30 sec video saying a car bomb went off in koh samui, pickup was stolen from yala,

RT @191Thailand: Mobile phone footage shows shoppers running in panic after an explosion in a shopping mall car park on Koh Samui http://www.reuters.com/video/2015/04/11/blast-sparks-panic-at-thai-mall?videoId=363812968&videoChannel=1

You have to wonder why/how the general public are allowed to freely walk about and photo a potential crime scene. Amazing Thailand.

• Like 2

Mixed reports on the explosion at Samui’s Central Festival Plaza in Chaweng

car-in-Central.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- As day broke the morning after an explosion rocked the parking lot at Samui’s Central Festival Plaza in Chaweng thoughts and reports as to what caused the incident are mixed and with no official statement so far on the exact cause of the explosion, speculation around the island and indeed the world is rife.

car in CentralSome reports suggest that the car that blew up at around 10-30 last night was Honda Jazz that contained a faulty LPG gas system in the trunk that exploded. Others now suggest that the vehicle, that is now barely recognizable as a vehicle at all, was a Mazda pick-up truck that had been stolen from the Yala, a southern border province and had been driven onto the island by militants from the south of the island.

Lt Gen Prawut Thavornsiri, a spokesman for the National Police told the AFP that there had been a car bomb, but there was no confirmation of the type of explosive materials used, he also declined to say whether the incident could be lined to unrest in the south.

While there have been posts on social network groups suggesting there have been fatalities, none have been confirmed and as we reported last night, so far only six with minor injuries have been confirmed.

The blast occurred at around the same time that a fire broke out at the Sahakorn Coop in Surant Thani, fueling speculation that the blast was caused by insurgents from the Muslim majority southern provinces designed to cause chaos on the first day of the five day Songkran holiday as thousands of tourists arrive to celebrate Thai New Year.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-04-11

I bet the authorities are praying it can be determined it was a faulty LPG container.

The nightmare is of course car bombs, but the nuclear nightmare is suicide bombers. They don't lurk in underground car parks.

I sincerely hope neither become reality.

• Like 1

Another sad day in the mixed up world, next isis will be blowing things up in Thailand, the world -- sorry politicians and arms manufacturers, oil and mineral corporates creating havoc globally on a now massive scale every day, is there nowhere safe anymore?

Watch out for smoke and mirrors, Illuminati type, do-it-and-blame-the-other-side trick.

• Like 2

I hope they find the scum responsible for this.

But I think Samui and Surat Thani are strange targets?

Neither are in an area where Malays are in the majority.

Stranger than Bangkok?

Koh Samui is in Surat Thani province. It is intellectually interesting and frankly scary how you people spread rumours about "two bombs" out of just a simple lack of knowledge.

Edited by wandasloan

Another sad day in the mixed up world, next isis will be blowing things up in Thailand, the world -- sorry politicians and arms manufacturers, oil and mineral corporates creating havoc globally on a now massive scale every day, is there nowhere safe anymore?

Watch out for smoke and mirrors, Illuminati type, do-it-and-blame-the-other-side trick.

And there is a report from a TV poster that the Police have no road blocks or check points, Ah Ha?