Nok Air comes under fire over treatment of handicapped man

Thaivisa News

Chiang Mai:- Nok Air has come under fire especially from wheelchair users after its staffs failed to provide a wheelchair to help a disabled man get down from its plane at the Chiang Mai International Airport.

The incident prompted Nok Air CEO Patee Sarasin to apologize to the man and his wife and promise not to have a similar incident happen again.

The wife of Wanat Nakpha-in posted the photos of her husband climbing down the ladder from a Nok Air plane. The photos were posted on Tan Pattaya Facebook page on Thursday.

Wanat is a well-known coached of disabled athletes so the photos infuriated many disabled people and many vowed to boycott Nok Air flights. So far, the post has been shared over 110 times.

The wife recounted via comments on the post that when she and Wanat reached the Chiang Mai airport, the crew told them to wait for other passengers to get down first.

Wanat joined in the comments, saying he agreed to wait with hope that the staffs of the airline have been trained to provide proper care for the disabled passengers.

But it turned out that the staffs offered to carry him down the ladder. Wanat said he protested, arguing that the proper practice is that he had to be seated in a wheelchair first and the staffs would have to carry him and the wheelchair down.

According to the couple, the staffs replied that they did not have a wheelchair for the service. When the couple asked for Wanat’s own wheelchair, which was boarded to the cargo compartment, the staffs replied it has been sent to the arrival passenger terminal.

So, Wanat decided to climb down the ladder on his own while his wife took the photos.

Initially, Patee posted a message on his own Facebook wall that Wanat was stubborn and refused help. But after he exchanged commented with the couple on the wife’s Facebook wall, Pattee apologized and promised to improve the service.

• Like 2

The slogan ' now every can fly ' was a good and timely one, the age of readily available and cheap

air travel has ushered many short cuts and drop in service quality and attention to details,

nowadays, the task at hands is fill up that plane and fly as any time as you can a day to keep

up with demands and pay the cost of keeping that plane up in the air, and don't sweat the

little stuff like wheelchair of competent and sane air crew, this is the cost of doing business,

profit before anything else....

• Like 1

Something is wrong here.

The CEO should not have been responding to this on face book. Certainly not blaming the passenger.

I have been on a flight to the Philippines and witnessed something similar. A passenger requested a wheelchair and the pilot contacted the airport. As it was a late flight the airport came back with a sorry we cannot help at this time as we don't have staff available. I think in this situation the air hostesses carried the man off the plane.

I've been working with airlines some 35 years ago for a few years.
Special passengers were briefed to the crew as well as (all the downline stations to) the final destination. They would get seated conveniently close to exits and toilets and ground staff was standing by with equipment (here with a wheelchair). Offloading in a wheelchair is standard procedure as four baggage handlers/loaders could lift the passenger.
This indeed comes as a surprise to me despite being out of the industry for more than 30 years :-(

• Like 1

I fly semi-frequently from Phitsanulok to Bangkok and return. I am not fully handicapped but can only walk short distances. I always request a wheelchair and have always received that service. I can climb and descend the ramps but have always received courteous assistance.

So my experience is very good with Nok Air.

My only complaint is that they require that I sit in an aisle seat which means I have to get up to allow others in and out as I am the first on and last off.

hmmmmmmm ..... notice how thai companies are all apologetic and sorry once social media get hold of their bad behavior.

not just Thai companies, western companies scan social media sites for complaints so that they can make amends and get better publicity

I fly semi-frequently from Phitsanulok to Bangkok and return. I am not fully handicapped but can only walk short distances. I always request a wheelchair and have always received that service. I can climb and descend the ramps but have always received courteous assistance.

So my experience is very good with Nok Air.

My only complaint is that they require that I sit in an aisle seat which means I have to get up to allow others in and out as I am the first on and last off.

I'm in exactly the same situation as you and I also fly between PHS and DMK relatively often. Like you, I have received nothing but the most courteous service from Nok Air. :-)

• Like 1

I am a lower limb amputee and have had similar problems with Bangkok airways.

I have been lifted up and down the 12 or so steps by 3 guys after being asked to walk up the stairs!! They must have missed that i had a leg missing and was in a wheelchair!!

Next was the ATR plane. I was asked to board the plane myself!! I ended up wedging myself between the walls to get to the seat nearest the door through brute upper body strength! On return the same method was used when i had to get off , finished by me sliding down the handrail to my wheelchair by my armpits!!

Now i will not get on an ATR ever again but most times a food truck is used or the have a small seat that runs up the side of the large staircase rail.

• Like 1

I am not wheelchair bound but owing to a disability, which causes extreme pain when walking any distance over 100 metres, a wheel chair is required to take me to and from the terminal, either via the footbridge or tarmac. Fortunately, I am capable, albeit very slowly, to enter and exit a plane via the steps and only need the chair to and from the terminal. I have travelled Nok Air on many occasions and found them to be courteous and obliging on every occasion. They always ensure I am the first to board and last off, so as not to inconvenience other passengers.

On only one occasion which, oddly enough, also occurred at Chiang Mai, did they fail to have a chair waiting. I spoke with a staff member and in less than 5 minutes a chair arrived and I was taken through the terminal to a waiting vehicle. Everyone was very apologetic and I, for one, cannot speak highly enough of the service Nok Air staff have provided me over the many times I have travelled with them.

When I book I always request a wheel chair and at the check in I remind staff that one will be needed at my destination. Has only failed once but was rectified, post haste. I have read many stories of disabled people being treated badly but in all the time I've required assistance, now over 10 years, every airline has been obliging and I cannot accuse any of them, including Nok Air, of providing poor service. In fact, Thai airways, on one occasion, when there were five passengers requiring chairs, actually provided a lift to take us to and from the plane and then provided a special bus to reach the terminal.

It is hard enough being disabled and I, over time, have noticed many people look at you strangely when needing this type of service. I do not know why, maybe they think some are faking because they cannot see any outward sign of one's disability. I have also seen and heard many people in similar circumstances, being totally disrespectful and abusing staff, why, again, I have no idea, yet these same staff go out of their way to provide an excellent service to not only disabled but able bodied passengers alike.

• Like 1

It's Customary to reserve wheel chairs at time of booking. This affords the Airline the opportunity to confirm or decline the booking. If the Customer did not do this then my sympathies are limited.

Some Airlines simply will not accept wheel chair requests. I seem to recall that some years ago Britain's Ryan Air was one such case. I don't know if that has changed.

I think CEO Patee needs some serious skilling in the art of Public Relations, not to mention his idiot staff .

The very LEAST that NOK Air should do now is to offer the VICTIM and his wife a 12-Month GOLD PASS for FOC Travel on all NOK Air Services.

Only the connectd elite can get these..... and actually, Nok doen't have them as the Elite get all the free perks from THAI......

(I get your point though and agree with your concept)

you just need to look at the Thai pavements to see how much Thai's care for and respect disabled people confined to a wheelchair Professor Stephen Hawking would have a few problems if he ever came to Thailand for a holiday or to improve his knowledge about mankind's inelegance in Thailand

I agree Jim. There are some good wheel chair friendly places, but that's the small %.

Some Thais also exhibit strange behavior when the see a wheel chair. They sort of rush to get in front of it and then either slow right down or stop. They push by them when entering or exiting elevators and if in an elevator many seem to want to refuse to move a little to make way for them. Some Thais - all ages, both sexes, seem to need to stare at a wheel chair whilst others jump out of the way in a most theatrical manner.

It seems the knowledge about disability and mobility are somewhat lacking here.

hmmmmmmm ..... notice how thai companies are all apologetic and sorry once social media get hold of their bad behavior.

American Airlines, ticketing personal, Jacksonville Florida, always an issue just getting a security pass to see a handicapped person to the departure gate. If you get one it won't be easy. Other than the wheelchair friendly attendance AA is no longer our airline of choice to BKK. Last flight in Delta, no problem. Wheel chair, Special needs, hello. Same problem carnival cruise lines. The least handicapped friendly and unsafest place to cruise.

Yes Steven. Not AA.

Last year, I had to fly to Penang and return, by Air Asia Thai. When I booked my ticket, I requested wheelchair service due to medical problems with both feet, ankles, and legs. Upon being told Air Asia informed me that such a service was available for free within Thailand but on international flights it must be paid for. The ticket agent refused to call her supervisor. At Don Muang I had to walk to the gate, and onto the plane. In Penang, I had to walk down the stairs as there was no other way to reach the ground, then climb flights of stairs to go through Immigration and Customs to get the bus. Same procedure on returning to Thailand and there was no gate to exit to Immigration and Customs and to get to a taxi. Never fly Air Asia again because there is no need to demand money for a simple service that costs nothing. Also, Air Asia would only take cash or Visa, not MasterCard, so I had to find an ATM machine and get back to her.

This is probably no surprise to X pats. Ignorance abounds in Thailand which includes the needs of the disabled. I remember hearing.... don't remember where - sorry - that govt. "officials" suggested disabled people stay home.

As the world understands Thailand more - less people will have a fair regard for yet another backward country... Sad in a way b/c Thailand could be so different if only the few families who "own" the place gave a damn a/b the Thai people.

and yet, expats still come.

makes me think we are even more so ignorant.

• Like 2