Nok Air comes under fire over treatment of handicapped man

Thaivisa News

hmmmmmmm ..... notice how thai companies are all apologetic and sorry once social media get hold of their bad behavior.

For some unknown reason, many people have problems to understand the year they live in.

This 2015, where almost everybody carries smart phones and/or mini cameras which are more capable as the top cameras from 5 year ago.

And most people also have access to the internet 24/24hr.

Understand that if somebody sees something and take a snapshot of that, it could be send to the WHOLE WORLD within a single keypress (FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube, etc..)

For top CEO's or top functionals, not knowing this is simply ignorance.

They know it, they just cannot fathom that any Thai would do such a thing as cause them to lose face and this is the conundrum because no Thai ever realizes that only they themselves can cause their lose of face. It is always somebody else's fault.

• Like 1

you just need to look at the Thai pavements to see how much Thai's care for and respect disabled people confined to a wheelchair Professor Stephen Hawking would have a few problems if he ever came to Thailand for a holiday or to improve his knowledge about mankind's inelegance in Thailand

I agree Jim. There are some good wheel chair friendly places, but that's the small %.

Some Thais also exhibit strange behavior when the see a wheel chair. They sort of rush to get in front of it and then either slow right down or stop. They push by them when entering or exiting elevators and if in an elevator many seem to want to refuse to move a little to make way for them. Some Thais - all ages, both sexes, seem to need to stare at a wheel chair whilst others jump out of the way in a most theatrical manner.

It seems the knowledge about disability and mobility are somewhat lacking here.

But Thais love using wheelchairs in hospital casualties, never seen so many people in desperate need of being ferried around, and then leave on foot quite happily...

It does not surprise me in having Nok Air apologizing for the incident and having done that, everything is clear from any wrong doing. Now how pathetic is that, it seems that every time any Thai businesses makes a mistake a simple " I'm sorry" without any further steps learns things , even though the victims are led empty handed! Any proper, legit, well manner and intelligent companies take further steps to compensate in one way or another in other to make the victim more confident that they are taken care off. I myself have had several bad experiences with Nok Air and if I had my way, I will not use them again. I just hope that Nok Air comes out and heavily improves their services in order to gain the trust of not only their costumes but also to show the whole world that they are doing something about.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

hmmmmmmm ..... notice how thai companies are all apologetic and sorry once social media get hold of their bad behavior.

Pattee should be fired without waiting for some more stupid comments from his side.

For me NOK air is now a no fly zone as Thai will be soon but I have booked one flight already and they don't want to give the money back.

So typical. The only disabled people to comment are happy with Nok Air, yet all the holier than thou TV cretins lay into Nok Air just like they do in every other situation. It clearly was a one-off and the CEO apologised.

Read it again.

there are several disabled people who have commented who are not happy.

A few with a low level of disability who are not normally wheelchair users have commented they are happy.

A little bit of "I'm allright Jack"

• Like 1

On the other side of that coin...one can look at the fact some disabled people have an I am entitled attitude and continually slam that opinion at everyone in their way. The story surely indicates that the staff were will to help in the absence of a wheelchair but it seems the disabled WAS stubborn and his wife was just a pure Tyrant with the onus on RANT.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Pattee should be fired without waiting for some more stupid comments from his side.

For me NOK air is now a no fly zone as Thai will be soon but I have booked one flight already and they don't want to give the money back.

I am sure you will be sadly missed but fondly remembered. 5555555cheesy.gif

I myself are partially disabled..I can walk, but do need a stick for support..this country sees disabled folk as a social class on par with beggars!

If you're in a wheelchair you find yourself having to use the main road..because every damn footpath is blocked with stalls, taxi-booths, motorbikes for hire etc!

And in the town where I live the municipality have put ramps for wheelchairs to mount the pavements...but none to get off!

Money & greed..as long as the street-sellers are paying backhanders, the walkways will remain blocked..& this atitude towards anyone in a wheelchair is nationwide here...& yes..when the poor tourist takes pics/snaps of these incidents & vows never to return, it must prompt others to think before booking...but not to worry..who needs 'return' visitors when there's the good old TAT to pour out bull**** figures each month..TiT!

I am a lower limb amputee and have had similar problems with Bangkok airways.

I have been lifted up and down the 12 or so steps by 3 guys after being asked to walk up the stairs!! They must have missed that i had a leg missing and was in a wheelchair!!

Next was the ATR plane. I was asked to board the plane myself!! I ended up wedging myself between the walls to get to the seat nearest the door through brute upper body strength! On return the same method was used when i had to get off , finished by me sliding down the handrail to my wheelchair by my armpits!!

Now i will not get on an ATR ever again but most times a food truck is used or the have a small seat that runs up the side of the large staircase rail.

Sorry to hear of your issues. But your mention of an ATR reminded me that often I have used flights where the the only way to board and disembark was via steps. Also on some longer haul International flights this has happened to me. Are you required to inform the carrier that you are wheelchair and need assistance? Sometimes they do not use a jetway and steps are all you get.

On the other side of that coin...one can look at the fact some disabled people have an I am entitled attitude and continually slam that opinion at everyone in their way. The story surely indicates that the staff were will to help in the absence of a wheelchair but it seems the disabled WAS stubborn and his wife was just a pure Tyrant with the onus on RANT.

I am quite sure that some physically challenged people have an 'entitlement attitidue' (as you call it) but I am quite sure that's a minority of disabled people. What irks me at airports more is that there seem to be more and more disabled people, especially on international flights (I travel a lot!). Yes, my knee sometimes hurts too but I think for many it is a case of "so nice to get through Immigration fast and being driven straight to the gate" kind of thing. Because often, I see these people quite happily walking around after the "drop off".

And one comment about non-availability of wheelchairs, especially on late arrival flights: What a lot of crap! There are always wheelchairs available at EVERY airport I have been to (except at maybe tiny airports?). And since there are always tons of staff at especially Thai airports, no excuse!

Quite surprising to see the kinds of things that CEO posts on his FB page. Certainly nothing about top cabin customer service or safety.

I think CEO Patee needs some serious skilling in the art of Public Relations, not to mention his idiot staff .

The very LEAST that NOK Air should do now is to offer the VICTIM and his wife a 12-Month GOLD PASS for FOC Travel on all NOK Air Services.

why the gold pass? what do you expect from a budget airlines? I have used nok air for quite some time most recently from Ubon to bangkok to Ubon round trip after surgery and they have did everything in their power to see that I was treated right! of course I had to climb the stairts in Ubon because the airport burned down but in Bangkok I was wheeled from the ticket counter to the selected seat! just because you need a wheel chair does not give you the right to expect special treatment!

staff carrying your butt down the ladder? that's a bit cheeky! the proper question would be "why no skyway at chaing mai airport?"

The staff kindly offered to carry the man down, even though the man obviously was able to get down the stairs himself (albeit slowly) . I don't know the size this man, but to expect people to carry a grown man and a heavy wheelchair down those steep steps is a tall order.

The perception of this situation

Is in the eyes of the beholder.

A positive wheelchair bound person would say no problem, thank you for carrying me.

Or, I think with a bit of help I can do it myself. I am sure the staff would have been grateful in a challenging situation, not of their making.

A negative wheelchair bound person would say, I am suffering and everybody else can suffer too. The whole world owes me special treatment,even though with a bit of effort I can do it myself. People that have special needs and want to travel usually are well aware that there will be some obstacles to get around.

If they do understand their limitations and the limitations of the people that try to help them, they should stay at home.

I have been lifted up and down the 12 or so steps by 3 guys after being asked to walk up the stairs!! They must have missed that i had a leg missing and was in a wheelchair!!

Next was the ATR plane. I was asked to board the plane myself!! I ended up wedging myself between the walls to get to the seat nearest the door through brute upper body strength! On return the same method was used when i had to get off , finished by me sliding down the handrail to my wheelchair by my armpits!!

Now i will not get on an ATR ever again but most times a food truck is used or the have a small seat that runs up the side of the large staircase rail.

Sorry to hear of your issues. But your mention of an ATR reminded me that often I have used flights where the the only way to board and disembark was via steps. Also on some longer haul International flights this has happened to me. Are you required to inform the carrier that you are wheelchair and need assistance? Sometimes they do not use a jetway and steps are all you get.

You are not required to tell them but some booking online ask you if you need assistance etc.

I have always filled these in or sent the airline an email to inform them of my situation.

International flights are not usually a problem but now and again it involves getting carried up or down the stairs.

You are not required to tell them but some booking online ask you if you need assistance etc.

I have always filled these in or sent the airline an email to inform them of my situation.

International flights are not usually a problem but now and again it involves getting carried up or down the stairs.

No requirement to tell them? Then how would one get assistance if needed? I'd expect that common sense would prevail and there is a need to tell the airline, otherwise, how would they know what you require? You have clearly indicated how you obtain assistance, so obviously you see the need, so why the contradictory statement.

Assistance can be requested through a booking agent, if that is how you arrange flights, online, at the ticket counter or check in desk. I have been asked about my disabilities, as I do not have any outward signs, such as yourself, and have always received a positive response. I always ensure that I tip the person helping, as they all go out of their way when doing so and it is just a way to show that you appreciate their assistance.

They don't just have wheelchairs "on the ready" at Chiang Mai airport -- you have to request wheelchair service in advance for a flight -- at least on Korean Air. I went to the airport with someone who couldn't walk long distances to conduct business at the Korean Air office, upstairs in the international terminal. When we arrived, I seated him on a bench outside, went in to the office and asked if I could get a wheelchair to bring him into the office to make his booking for a flight the next week. I was informed that Korean Air uses a contractor for wheelchair service and they have to be informed in advance of the need for a wheelchair. They just don't have wheelchairs, and more importantly, wheelchair attendants available during all the time that their office is open.

That being said, Korean Air does a splendid job of taking care of passengers in wheelchairs out of Chiang Mai. I've assisted many. As for the comment that some people request wheelchairs just to get priority treatment in the queues -- remember some people, especially the elderly, can't walk long distances and become easily confused. It really helps to have a wheelchair attendant helping when they're traveling alone.

No requirement to tell them? Then how would one get assistance if needed? I'd expect that common sense would prevail and there is a need to tell the airline, otherwise, how would they know what you require? You have clearly indicated how you obtain assistance, so obviously you see the need, so why the contradictory statement.

Assistance can be requested through a booking agent, if that is how you arrange flights, online, at the ticket counter or check in desk. I have been asked about my disabilities, as I do not have any outward signs, such as yourself, and have always received a positive response. I always ensure that I tip the person helping, as they all go out of their way when doing so and it is just a way to show that you appreciate their assistance.

There is no contradictory statement . You can call the airline 48 hours before departure, but i have always sent emails before when booking to tell them!

Due to my disability being visible when i check in the counter staff always ask if i need assistance and i usually fly alone and have had no problems, more disabled people tend to fly with a friend or partner to assist them. The time you wait from checking in to getting on the plane is more than sufficient enough for an airline to get a chair etc if they didnt have it to hand!

• Like 1

you just need to look at the Thai pavements to see how much Thai's care for and respect disabled people confined to a wheelchair Professor Stephen Hawking would have a few problems if he ever came to Thailand for a holiday or to improve his knowledge about mankind's inelegance in Thailand

Central Festival Plazas, too. Hell, I'm at a loss trying to think of ONE wheelchair accessible building . . .

Central Festival Plazas, too. Hell, I'm at a loss trying to think of ONE wheelchair accessible building . . .

Off topic but Central and most of the bigger malls are generally quite accessible.

PTT stations have accessible toilets.

Many government buildings are accessible but sometimes by providing services such as carrying people up stairs in them. They do this happily but it is unsafe. I personally have been dropped down the stairs at ChiangRai Toyota. Luckily only the last few.

Just take a look at most government buildings here,if they do have a wheelchair ramp you would meed a winch to get up the incline.

Phuket immigration is only a few years old and is up 2 flights of stairs so I suppose if you are disabled you have to take a few strong people with you or you will not get your visa.

Notice how you almost never see a wheel chair in this country? If you do , is it a Thai national??? How about a Thai in a cast.....wait....how about a Downs syndrome person???.....these people were bad in a past life....... jeez.......

Listen, though this situation should have never happened and the crew and ground staff should have been better training in proper procedures... the comments made with regards to this story expect that in Thailand the idea of logic is alive and well.

However, we all know that it isn't. Logical thought or even an understanding of logical thought processes is lacking at best here on LOS. So it cannot come as a surprise when improperly trained staffers cannot go beyond what they have been taught. For that would require logical thought on order to arrive at a solution.