Chiang Mai's flying saucer still there?

Mcffee

I went past it in the day time about 16 months ago and it looked derelict. I think its the next street up from the one you indicted, not the tiny short soi, the one above that. Odd looking place. Was it a good place to visit in the past?

re

I think its the next street up from the one you indicted, not the tiny short soi, the one above that

hes right !

the op , his green square and bino are about 750 yards out :(

its just past the massage place where the green arrow is

dave2

ps ... it was still there about three months ago

post-42592-0-82100000-1429063554_thumb.p

post-42592-0-72427500-1429063643_thumb.j

post-42592-0-86927900-1429063708_thumb.j

• Like 1

This thread is about the OP asking if Flying Saucer (presumably a Club/Disco) is still around. It is but seems to have been closed for a long time. It would be interesting to hear if any old timers can give some input to when it was open, if it was the place to go way back in 1984 or whatever?

• Like 2

Nightclub inside of Rinkaew Complex. Found this place in the daytime a few months ago and wondered about the history of it as well.

Looked like it had been closed for quite some time.

The long green hotel looking building is 'Rinkaew Povech' and was apparently the place to go for traditional Thai massage in CM during the 90s and maybe earlier. Door was open so I guess that's still available but didn't investigate.

Saw an ad on some property site that I can't find now, which listed the whole complex for sale. I recall the price was north of 1mil USD but I don't remember exactly how much.

Edited by john_bkk919

re

Wasn't UFO located opposite Pandora?

is that what it was called ?

it was way dead when I got here in 05 and ive not been near pandoras for years so I don't know if its still there

the space roller place by the bus station I tried to have a look in a few years ago but I was met by a pack of dogs half way up the stairs so I backed off slowly

dave2

ps ... op I used to have girl a friend who worked the massage place by your flying saucer and it was already dead in about 07

post-42592-0-21554700-1429151847_thumb.j

re

Can anyone tell me approximately when this place opened or was shut down? Better still, does anyone have a photo of that outstanding neon sign in action?

it was shut down before may12 coz thats the front of it in my pic

your pic is the side of the building taken from just past the nong hoi police station and i dont have a pic of that side !

dave2

ps ...., i walked to the airport to collect my bike this morning and went to see if the ops flying saucer is still there and it is :)

pic taken this morning !.

post-42592-0-86572600-1429175913_thumb.j

post-42592-0-88977800-1429176033_thumb.j

• Like 1

^^^

Thanks for that dave2. Do you mean that your photo was taken in May of 2012 or on May 12th of last year?

Either way, it's a shame that nobody has thought to salvage that neon sign, which appears to have been animated. I'm still hoping that someone might have a photo of that thing in its glory! You'll notice that there's a dash or hyphen between the 'U' and the 'FO' on the sign, and I found a shot of the front desk where the name is spelled "U.FO". No idea what's up with that.

243995-1.jpg

By the way, I also went by the OP's saucers today, and they're more impressive when you get back there in the parking lot. The main entrance is under that back 'saucer', just in front of the white truck in your photo. Above the door is a sign that reads "Amazing Hall". I'm guessing that it was exactly that!

re

^^^

Thanks for that dave2. Do you mean that your photo was taken in May of 2012 or on May 12th of last year?

my pic of the closed front of nong hoi bowl was taken on 19 th of may 12

I got my spare netbook out tonight .... punched in bowling and it came up with your side view of the neon sign that was taken on 25th sept 14

but it was closed 18 odd months before that

how that happened ive no idea coz they should both be exactly the same but never mind

dave2

post-42592-0-75300200-1429200715_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

If I remember clearly it's been 25 yes since I was there (ufo club) and a lot younger then. My early 30"s

Mostly thais there of course. Back when there were no where near the amount of non thais that are here now. Could count on one hand the westerners there then

Ah the good Ole days....

Good memories...

• Like 1

I am always curious how there is so much unutilized or dead real estate in Thailand.. Not only big places like this, but moobaans only part occupied, decaying grand homes, etc etc.. You would think allowing the rot to set in is more costly than actually doing something with it.

In the west venues change hands, rebrand, do different hings non stop.. A large building simply wouldnt sit there as a non performing asset for years.. I dont really understand why they do here (yeah sure low to no property tax, possibly less loan to value borrowing, but not to the extent you see). Just seems odd economics.

I agree about the dead real estate. I'll add something to that. For example, there is a space called Hut just a bit before Duke's on the river. Seems it used to be a nightclub or restaurant. A fairly big and now fairly decrepit space with a for rent sign up front. I called about it. The rent is 50,000 a month for a 3 year contract. "Insurance is 200,000 baht…I'm not sure what the "insurance" is or means, perhaps it is really a deposit. It's a big place in a good location but a lot of money would have to be put into the place to get it going and what could one really expect in profits in this economy and nightlife situation? One couldn't really expect anything. Another decrepit and currently empty venue on Chang Moi road is for rent for 60,000. It is a retail space. I did't see inside it and I don't recall the details of the contract but just to cover a 60,000 baht rent in a retail shop on Chang Moi road? Perhaps it's useful for something other than retail, I suppose. But still, just to cover the rent would seem to be quite difficult.

• Like 1

I agree about the dead real estate. I'll add something to that. For example, there is a space called Hut just a bit before Duke's on the river. Seems it used to be a nightclub or restaurant. A fairly big and now fairly decrepit space with a for rent sign up front. I called about it. The rent is 50,000 a month for a 3 year contract. "Insurance is 200,000 baht…I'm not sure what the "insurance" is or means, perhaps it is really a deposit. It's a big place in a good location but a lot of money would have to be put into the place to get it going and what could one really expect in profits in this economy and nightlife situation? One couldn't really expect anything. Another decrepit and currently empty venue on Chang Moi road is for rent for 60,000. It is a retail space. I did't see inside it and I don't recall the details of the contract but just to cover a 60,000 baht rent in a retail shop on Chang Moi road? Perhaps it's useful for something other than retail, I suppose. But still, just to cover the rent would seem to be quite difficult.

People pay those prices for crummy shophouses on Phuket..

Hell open air counter bars run into the multi hundred K a month when key money is taken into account.. Hence why they can lose money while charging 300b a drink..

The lot that has the 100+ year old house on the property? Right near Dukes.

I am always curious how there is so much unutilized or dead real estate in Thailand.. Not only big places like this, but moobaans only part occupied, decaying grand homes, etc etc.. You would think allowing the rot to set in is more costly than actually doing something with it.

In the west venues change hands, rebrand, do different hings non stop.. A large building simply wouldnt sit there as a non performing asset for years.. I dont really understand why they do here (yeah sure low to no property tax, possibly less loan to value borrowing, but not to the extent you see). Just seems odd economics.

I'm always fascinated by this phenomenon too. There are a couple of moobaans I've seen that have blown my mind. One is on the C.M.-Mae Jo Road on the E side. There are dozens of Colonial style mansions in there, most are probably 5 or 6 bedroom on 1 rai lots. Not a soul living in the moobaan and vines have made their way through the windows, rafters, etc. Trees have not been trimmed in 15 years or whatever. Really quite a sight. Supposedly a film crew was in there filming a horror movie in 2004 or thereabouts. We saw on the news about 2 or 3 years ago that the police were making the rounds in there each night as it had become a haven for buying/selling/using crystal meth. Shortly thereafter a wall was constructed where the front gate of the moobaan was. Then a factory or some industrial building was built next to that wall. So now, it is basically 'sealed' away.

Another incredible place is right off the San Kampheang Road. An old moobaan with many very large mansions in there. This place is about 30% inhabited. There is a lake on the grounds. Some of the houses have 6-8 bedrooms, buildings for the domestic staff, etc. Some of them have old Mercedes and other luxury vehicles from the 1960's junked on the large lots. It looks like time has stood still in there. There are rumors of ghosts, giant snakes, etc. One lady said that a number of the homes were left to family members in Bangkok when the residents died and the heirs have never been up to do anything with them in 10-20 years.

There are many like this in Bangkok.

It's the kind of thing you would never see in the West.

I would love a GPS marker or google maps link for those ?? I have a bit of an odd streak and like to have a look at oddball things like this.. I even have a taste in houses that runs a bit into the ramshakle old ruin, I like the faded granduer and like you say, think it pairs so well with some kind of out of date top end car.. Nothing says fallen from grace like a mansion not maintained and a 80s merc on bald tires ;)

You see the same (but not as unused) in Chiang Mai lakeland.. Another moobaan that must have shot to be super high end, has some real grand homes built in it, but only a fraction of the lots got sold.. Yet instead of getting them sold, making it work, I was told the asking price of a TW in there was >40k +- 16 mil a rai, to be next to the airport noise, with no maintenance and no security and a broken down clubhouse.. Surely not !!

A day trip to Misty Hills on the way to Buatong Waterfall on the road past Mae Cho. Drive around inside there and see what is there. I was amazed that Google Maps even has pictures.

1st picture is the entrance from the highway. 2d picture is an example of something inside. Very few and far between.

post-402-0-80604800-1457919970_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-74847300-1457919983_thumb.jpg

Edited by hml367