Chiang Mai's flying saucer still there?

Mcffee

Chiang Mai and Thailand had some weird/interesting things years ago like the flying saucer. Champagne glass baths in go go's, nightclub on Changklan with the big gear logo, another over behind the Rimping Iron Bridge, the big nightclub inside the moat near Thapae used to have ballroom dancing. Cafes (girls singing for tips like Sayuri) also were everywhere including an open one near Dukes. Before the boxing joint in Loi Kroh the one near Thapae was busy.

Very different place years back, and like most places that have progressed it was much better back then, more enjoyable Thai bizarreness everywhere and more laid back. There again so was Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok, the country, like all, has really changed.

I would love a GPS marker or google maps link for those ?? I have a bit of an odd streak and like to have a look at oddball things like this.. I even have a taste in houses that runs a bit into the ramshakle old ruin, I like the faded granduer and like you say, think it pairs so well with some kind of out of date top end car.. Nothing says fallen from grace like a mansion not maintained and a 80s merc on bald tires ;)

You see the same (but not as unused) in Chiang Mai lakeland.. Another moobaan that must have shot to be super high end, has some real grand homes built in it, but only a fraction of the lots got sold.. Yet instead of getting them sold, making it work, I was told the asking price of a TW in there was >40k +- 16 mil a rai, to be next to the airport noise, with no maintenance and no security and a broken down clubhouse.. Surely not !!

I think Chiang Mai Lakeland will rise from the ashes at some point. It's closeness to the city and design gives it some uniqueness. When the empty lots gets built on and more people live there safety shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1

I would love a GPS marker or google maps link for those ?? I have a bit of an odd streak and like to have a look at oddball things like this.. I even have a taste in houses that runs a bit into the ramshakle old ruin, I like the faded granduer and like you say, think it pairs so well with some kind of out of date top end car.. Nothing says fallen from grace like a mansion not maintained and a 80s merc on bald tires wink.png

You see the same (but not as unused) in Chiang Mai lakeland.. Another moobaan that must have shot to be super high end, has some real grand homes built in it, but only a fraction of the lots got sold.. Yet instead of getting them sold, making it work, I was told the asking price of a TW in there was >40k +- 16 mil a rai, to be next to the airport noise, with no maintenance and no security and a broken down clubhouse.. Surely not !!

I'll take a trip over to the place off the SK Road perhaps later in the week and then be able to mark it on the map. It's really something to see. I'll follow up on this thread then. The place in Sansai is sealed off now due to the drug problem that was going on there. The wife looked a few months back and said it's impossible to find where it is now as there has been so much development in the last couple of years along that stretch. It's weird that there is a moobaan so grand, effectively sealed off to rot. Only the snakes roam there now.

Yes, Lakeland is a weird one too. Drove through there a couple of times. Looks like they ran out of money on that one. There are nice homes on sois that are full of potholes, no lights, really weird. I too, like oddball things as well.

• 2 years later...

Did Lakeland get rebranded as Serene Lake? I've stumbled across that gated complex when I was cycling around randomly and it looks a lot like the descriptions of Lakeland I'm reading here. The airport nearby, zero infrastructure, and of course the lake, and it looks like some of the condos and townhouses are newer than the rest.

Edited by 93mlnmiles

20 hours ago, 93mlnmiles said:

Did Lakeland get rebranded as Serene Lake? I've stumbled across that gated complex when I was cycling around randomly and it looks a lot like the descriptions of Lakeland I'm reading here. The airport nearby, zero infrastructure, and of course the lake, and it looks like some of the condos and townhouses are newer than the rest.

I don't know Hang Dong too well but I think Serene Lake is on the opposite side of the Canal Road. Lakeland I'm sure is still there, but farther back in the direction of Suthep. I don't recall ever seeing condos and town houses in Lake Land. It is very well developed with many large homes.

Serene Lake has only recently been built( the last couple of years) and has apartment blocks and is much bigger. Chiang Mai Lakeland is a lot older and was more of a buy a plot of land have your own bespoke home built. Look about half a KM north on Serene lake on google maps and you will see it. The "lakes" are more like ponds.

• 2 years later...
On 3/14/2016 at 1:06 PM, Rancid said:

Chiang Mai and Thailand had some weird/interesting things years ago like the flying saucer. Champagne glass baths in go go's, nightclub on Changklan with the big gear logo, another over behind the Rimping Iron Bridge, the big nightclub inside the moat near Thapae used to have ballroom dancing. Cafes (girls singing for tips like Sayuri) also were everywhere including an open one near Dukes. Before the boxing joint in Loi Kroh the one near Thapae was busy.

Very different place years back, and like most places that have progressed it was much better back then, more enjoyable Thai bizarreness everywhere and more laid back. There again so was Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok, the country, like all, has really changed.

Have been to most of the places you mentioned. Chiang Mai used to be quite an extraordinary place, it was nothing like it is now, which is partly why I left. So many of the things that made Chiang Mai and Thailand unique have gone. Things move on, nothing can stay the same, just glad I got to see it.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Rancid said:

Have been to most of the places you mentioned. Chiang Mai used to be quite an extraordinary place, it was nothing like it is now, which is partly why I left. So many of the things that made Chiang Mai and Thailand unique have gone. Things move on, nothing can stay the same, just glad I got to see it.

Well, some of us here will clearly remember when Chiang Mai used to be a renowned hotspot for international pedophiles. So yeah, things change, but it's not always for the worse. I much prefer Chiang Mai today over the Chiang Mai I first visited in the early 90s.